Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2019, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

CD with water drops

I know this is kind of a clique type shot, but it is a little different from what is usually posted on here, so I just wanted any constructive criticism and to see what I could do to improve it.

Attached Images

04-01-2019, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
I feel that for an abstract shot the scene is too recognisable. The centre of the image is visibly a plain old CD. If you have a macro lens or an extension tube, try getting closer.

Another good thing about getting closer is that composing the image becomes easier. Currently you have about 40 droplets in in the image, mostly random and 2 of them are not in a conventional droplet shape. If your image has 4-8 visible droplets, it's easier to arrearage them in a composition.

Last edited by Tranzistors; 04-01-2019 at 05:18 AM.
04-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your input. It makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately I do not have a macro lens or extension tube. I could try cropping tighter, but I have already cropped quite a bit and I am afraid I would lose too much image quality. I knew the center of the cd would give away what it was, but I could not decide if that was a bad thing. You have given me some good ideas to think about though.
04-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I think if you don't have the equipment for a macro shot, you can incorporate the non rainbow part of the CD into the composition, instead. Use a more interesting surface, so you see it through the hole and the clear plastic - very reflective black, or something with some shimmer or texture.

06-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I saw this image my first reaction was 'Wow - that's cool!'. I think the fact that it is a plain old CD seen in a new and creative way is exactly what gives this shot dramatic impact. It's like an unexpected plot twist in a story or an ironic punchline in a joke. It catches you off guard and creates interest. The thing about abstract art - there are NO RULES. Just imagine and create. Personally, I like the shot just the way it is. The only thing I might have done is clone out the white lettering on the CD hub. I find it a little distracting on an otherwise wonderful image.
06-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
When I saw this image my first reaction was 'Wow - that's cool!'. I think the fact that it is a plain old CD seen in a new and creative way is exactly what gives this shot dramatic impact. It's like an unexpected plot twist in a story or an ironic punchline in a joke. It catches you off guard and creates interest. The thing about abstract art - there are NO RULES. Just imagine and create. Personally, I like the shot just the way it is. The only thing I might have done is clone out the white lettering on the CD hub. I find it a little distracting on an otherwise wonderful image.
Thank you for the kind words.
07-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mhrish Quote
I know this is kind of a clique type shot, but it is a little different from what is usually posted on here, so I just wanted any constructive criticism and to see what I could do to improve it.
Love it, Mhrish! Did you add glycerin?

07-19-2019, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Love it, Mhrish! Did you add glycerin?
Thank you. I did not add glycerin. I just used a syringe to put water drops on the cd and then I put my camera on a tripod, focused, and turned off the light. Then I opened the shutter and moved the flashlight around the outside of the cd.
07-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you for your input. It makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately I do not have a macro lens or extension tube. I could try cropping tighter, but I have already cropped quite a bit and I am afraid I would lose too much image quality. I knew the center of the cd would give away what it was, but I could not decide if that was a bad thing. You have given me some good ideas to think about though.
If you want to get a macro type image without the proper equipment, try reversing your lens. Reverse Lens Technique for Macro Photography. It's quick and easy, it's achievable without any special equipment (but it takes a bit of fiddling, best to get a reversing ring}.
10-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
What about cropping in so that you can only see one quarter of the CD or less?
10-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #11
Forum Member

Nice colors. I liked the water droplets.
10-06-2019, 04:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, this kind of shot is a bit clichéd by now, but that needn't bother you at all. It may raise viewers' expectations about the level of execution though. At any rate, I've always felt that this kind of shot works best when approached like product photography. A CD is a piece of laser technology that is, or at least used to be, most fascinating when it's perfect. So, maybe, really try to get a little closer (also helps to accentuate the "printed" information). Work on the shapes of the drops (the glycerin thing is a staple trick of product shooters), although one or two bolder splashes might actually create additional interest and save the perfection from getting boring. However, do try to get rid of the scratches, in post or by selecting a newer CD specimen or both, since no one tends to get fascinated with a scratched CD.

Don't get me wrong, you're onto something genuinely beautiful there. It just needs a little more work to take it to the next level.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-06-2019 at 04:31 AM. Reason: More ecouraging
10-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #13

Well i've actually never seen a shot like this. I think its creative.
10-27-2019, 04:42 PM   #14

If any of the water drops were actually in focus, this would be killer!
10-28-2019, 03:18 PM   #15

Like the idea here, I'd suggest working on the focus a bit and crop it a bit differently. Currently it feels very circular I would suggest cropping out half of the CD to get more of a semi circle instead.