Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2019, 02:26 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pinups in old cowshed/barn
Lens: FA 35/2 AL and FA 50/1.4 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Oulu ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/10s Aperture: F8 

Obviously there's little left of the original 19th century interior as it's been turned in a restaurant. The model is the wonderful Miss Catnip.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-25-2019, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you want critiques on these photos or are you just showing the photos you took?
04-25-2019, 10:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Did you want critiques on these photos or are you just showing the photos you took?
It's a critique forum isn't it? You tend to go blind to your own work so if anything comes to mind I'll take it as a fresh look is always welcome.
04-26-2019, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Drinkkeri Quote
It's a critique forum isn't it? You tend to go blind to your own work so if anything comes to mind I'll take it as a fresh look is always welcome.
Yes, it is, but most members post one photo for critique, not five, as you have done. And you didn't ask for critique, you just posted the photos, that's why I asked.

04-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, it is, but most members post one photo for critique, not five, as you have done. And you didn't ask for critique, you just posted the photos, that's why I asked.
Figured that asking for it was not necessary as the forum itself is for critique.

This is a series so posting them all was justified in my mind, I can remove other four if needed.
04-26-2019, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Did you read the rules for posting here before you posted here:

About the Photo Critique Section - PentaxForums.com

Do no post more than 5 photos per thread. We recommend only posting one at a time.You can create another thread to ask about a different photo.

Is intended only for use by those who wish to receive serious critique on their photographs.

If you don't ask for critiquing, no one knows what you want help with, do you want help making the photos better, the ones that look like they have fog over them or something similar, but we don't know unless you tell us. That's was my point.
04-27-2019, 08:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Drinkkeri,

I think your photos look excellent and have a fun vibe. I did notice that the 2nd photo has a bit less contrast than the other 4 in your set - the black level is not as deep, due to veiling flare, I guess.

04-27-2019, 09:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Love how the light in the background frames her head in 2,3.
I am not a fan of the tipped bar in the last 2. I like the color pallet and overall lighting. In the last 3 you move the light around the face. I like the more even light of 3,4 than 5. The extra brightness does not seem to have a motivation. There's no other light like that.
Overall I would be happy with the shoot.
04-29-2019, 02:04 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Hi Drinkkeri,

I think your photos look excellent and have a fun vibe. I did notice that the 2nd photo has a bit less contrast than the other 4 in your set - the black level is not as deep, due to veiling flare, I guess.
Thank you! The flare is artificial so it's a bit embarassing error on my part, luckily that's an easy fix.

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Love how the light in the background frames her head in 2,3.
I am not a fan of the tipped bar in the last 2. I like the color pallet and overall lighting. In the last 3 you move the light around the face. I like the more even light of 3,4 than 5. The extra brightness does not seem to have a motivation. There's no other light like that.
Overall I would be happy with the shoot.
I think I should have tilted it even more but that's a matter of opinion I think The background lighting needs indeed work, or should have been lighted differently, to give a more realistic feel to the whole image. There was no room for a large modifier to the background light and the hard reflectors I had created an unholy mess of the left side of the image where you see that rail and tables&chairs (and even more infuriatingly my jacket hanging on the chair). I was wondering if a globe light would have worked hidden behind the top beam on the left nut I didn't bring that one with me. Any suggestions?
04-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #10

Original Poster
Did you read the rules for posting here before you posted here:

About the Photo Critique Section - PentaxForums.com

Do no post more than 5 photos per thread. We recommend only posting one at a time.You can create another thread to ask about a different photo.

Is intended only for use by those who wish to receive serious critique on their photographs.

If you don't ask for critiquing, no one knows what you want help with, do you want help making the photos better, the ones that look like they have fog over them or something similar, but we don't know unless you tell us. That's was my point.
Yes I did and that's why I posted the essential five of the series, not all twelve.

Critique is in essence and opinion of one's peers with constructive criticism and advice. Showcasing a photo or a series without anything else to direct the critic is a customary thing when one looks for honest unadultared opinion of the work as a whole. Im not looking for praise as that does not push you forward.
05-09-2019, 04:48 AM   #11

My humble opinion - as I haven't tried this type of photography. The model is attractive, her costume is wonderful and the setting in the bar is great. She is well lit and the colors are pleasing. Things to improve - the model doesn't look comfortable - and her smile seems forced. Photo 1&2 - the flare from the background lamp is distracting. Photo #5 the way she is holding her drink seems unnatural. Perhaps try leaning on the sofa arm or sit on the sofa seat holding the drink closer to her mouth like she is taking a sip. I understand sometimes it takes a while for the model to warm up and become more comfortable, so a couple of drinks and getting her relaxed and laughing might make give a more natural expression.
05-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The technical aspects of your shots seem OK but calling these Pinup shots is a stretch. Your model is just not what most would call pinup looking.
05-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
The technical aspects of your shots seem OK but calling these Pinup shots is a stretch. Your model is just not what most would call pinup looking.
In 2019, wow!

05-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
In 2019, wow!
One should not post something in a Photo Critique and expect no criticisms.
05-21-2019, 12:05 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
One should not post something in a Photo Critique and expect no criticisms.

That's a truism, it was your specific comment that has me reeling, Desertscape!

"Out of touch" would be the criticism of your criticism.