Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2019, 11:09 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Gabriela
Lens: Visionar 141/1.9 projection lens Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Vilnius ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F1.9 

Last edited by Medex; 04-26-2019 at 11:28 AM.
04-26-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Impressive!
04-27-2019, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you want help with this photo?

Carabez, please read rules of the Critique section before answering here, one which says:

QuoteQuote:
Comments in this section should be along the lines of, "Changing x and y would make this photo much better, and z doesn't help much either"rather than "what a beautiful flower, thanks for sharing"
04-28-2019, 12:42 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I find the subject rendered well, the out of focus area to the left in the foreground is distracting. The overall effect is almost claustrophobic and the narrow and tall framing adds to this effect. Is like to see more shots with this lens to see if this is just the way it renders or if an added aperture (washer maybe?) inserted in the party would improve the effect.

04-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
While I find the subject rendered well, the out of focus area to the left in the foreground is distracting. The overall effect is almost claustrophobic and the narrow and tall framing adds to this effect. Is like to see more shots with this lens to see if this is just the way it renders or if an added aperture (washer maybe?) inserted in the party would improve the effect.
^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^. Lovely rendering, and the model is quite decorative. Moving the camera to the right a bit and having the model turn slightly might have made this better.
If I was the photographer, I would be hooking up with that model and location again. And probably again and again.
04-29-2019, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Did you want help with this photo?

Carabez, please read rules of the Critique section before answering here, one which says:
Constructive criticism is wellcome, as well as opinions. Thank you

---------- Post added 04-29-19 at 08:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^. Lovely rendering, and the model is quite decorative. Moving the camera to the right a bit and having the model turn slightly might have made this better.
If I was the photographer, I would be hooking up with that model and location again. And probably again and again.
Thank you, Wheatfield. Sometimes I shoot too close
04-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Constructive criticism is wellcome, as well as opinions. Thank you

---------- Post added 04-29-19 at 08:13 PM ----------

Thank you, Wheatfield. Sometimes I shoot too close
You are most welcome. You have a model that is very camera friendly, which is a good thing. It makes it much easier. That particular image, back up a little bit so she has some breathing room, and turn the camera a little to the right and possibly move it a bit to the right as well. That out of focus line at the side is a huge distraction. My personal preference is for in focus foregrounds, just so you know where I am coming from. To my mind, her hand and the stone should be in focus as well.

Assignment, go out and retake that same picture, keeping what Vanya and I have mentioned and see what comes of it. That young lady is one you should be pursuing as a muse.

04-30-2019, 01:28 AM   #8

The expression of the model is great as is the composition and light in my opinion. The thing that bothers me is that the DOF is too shallow for the pose and moving her hand closer to her would bring it in focus and make it appear smaller.

As I understand the lens you used has no adjustable aperture?
04-30-2019, 03:16 PM - 4 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Carabez, please read rules of the Critique section before answering here, one which says
I'm really sorry, let me redeem myself

In western culture, when we look a picture in fact the first thing we do is "scan" tha picture. What we see in the upper left corner is what we seen first.

"Gabriela" shows nothing intesting (a wall edge) in that first quadrant so the next thing we look is the eyes of the model, following the scan secuence.

So I saw first (in a fast stare) a disruptive door entrance in the wall, then I loved the bokeh of what I have seen after, the model... If it was me, I would do the shot again: I would use a plain wall, to acentuate the isulation of the model.
Attached Images

05-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Use a lens with a diaphragm. They give the shooter more creative freedom. F/1.9 did not work here.
05-29-2019, 04:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

It's not a high-key , not a low-key. Contrast is insufficient IMO, especially here face isn't bright enough relative to the background. The same photo with better contrast and right level on her face would make her look better.
05-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
I'm really sorry, let me redeem myself

In western culture, when we look a picture in fact the first thing we do is "scan" tha picture. What we see in the upper left corner is what we seen first.

"Gabriela" shows nothing intesting (a wall edge) in that first quadrant so the next thing we look is the eyes of the model, following the scan secuence.

So I saw first (in a fast stare) a disruptive door entrance in the wall, then I loved the bokeh of what I have seen after, the model... If it was me, I would do the shot again: I would use a plain wall, to acentuate the isulation of the model.
Thank you Carabez. That is interesting

---------- Post added 05-29-19 at 09:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thank you UncleVanya for your thoughts

---------- Post added 05-29-19 at 09:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Drinkkeri Quote
The expression of the model is great as is the composition and light in my opinion. The thing that bothers me is that the DOF is too shallow for the pose and moving her hand closer to her would bring it in focus and make it appear smaller.

As I understand the lens you used has no adjustable aperture?
Thank you.
Yes. This lens has no aperture. It is possible to insert round metal or paper aperture. I sometims use f3.2

---------- Post added 05-29-19 at 09:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Use a lens with a diaphragm. They give the shooter more creative freedom. F/1.9 did not work here.
Thank you for advise Desertscape

---------- Post added 05-29-19 at 09:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's not a high-key , not a low-key. Contrast is insufficient IMO, especially here face isn't bright enough relative to the background. The same photo with better contrast and right level on her face would make her look better.
Thank you Biz-engineer. I will check whites and blacks.
06-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #13

Gorgeous photo and model