Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

bass player

I took this shot of a bass player for a local band at a festival near my home town. It was a decent shot in color, but I thought it was really suited to black and white. I would like your opinions on the black and white conversion as well as your suggestions on what would make it better, both as far as the editing and the actual photography.

Attached Images

06-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mhrish Quote
I took this shot of a bass player for a local band at a festival near my home town. It was a decent shot in color, but I thought it was really suited to black and white. I would like your opinions on the black and white conversion as well as your suggestions on what would make it better, both as far as the editing and the actual photography.
I like the B&W conversion; the tones seem OK to me. My only quibble with this photo is the way the man's throat is cut off. From where i'm sitting, including a bit more of the black T-shirt would have made it look even better and complement the black background.
06-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your input. I don't know why I did not include more of the shirt to be honest. I actually had to look back at the original to see if I had just cropped too close, but for some reason, that is the way I framed the shot.. I agree that it would improve the shot.
10-27-2019, 04:13 PM   #4

If the focus was on the glasses, as opposed to on the shirt, it'd look great.

The shirt looks nice and sharp, but the rest of the image doesn't.

10-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by TLiivo Quote
If the focus was on the glasses, as opposed to on the shirt, it'd look great.

The shirt looks nice and sharp, but the rest of the image doesn't.
Agreed, the face itself is quite soft if the focus point had been on the glasses it would have helped here.
11-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great capture, Mark. Love the eyeglass reflections, the low angle, and the player's intensity. Nothing in the shot gives away the era in which it was shot. Could be the '60s, could be yesterday. Wouldn't change a thing! Bravo!
11-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
Banned

sweet.

11-27-2019, 01:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'ts out of focus and overprocessed. The contrast is too much even considering the hard lights of a concert.