Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2019, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #1

Hidden Paradise

Shot on 120 Ektar, scanned with DSLR. Comments?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
06-19-2019, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best sentence you can use in here is: how can I make it better.
06-19-2019, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mpslxz Quote
Comments?
Now you've got it into a digital format, you can tweak around it as much or as little as you want. But it's really your image and how you want it to look at the end of the day.

I can only offer comments as to what I would perhaps do, if it were my image... there's no right or wrong here.

So here's my quick take on it (no more than a few minutes), remembering that it's a scanned jpeg that I'm working on, straighten it up a little (rotate to the left), remove the various colour casts in the water on the fall part, selective dodge and burn, desaturate some of the colours and add a bit selective sharpening.

I have attached my version as it's a lot easier to see what I mean rather than try to describe it all.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-19-2019 at 12:43 PM.
06-20-2019, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kerrowdown is correct in saying that you can play around with the image until it replicates what you saw or how you envision the image. I toned down the sky and eliminated most of it as I felt that it looked a bit blown out. The image size was too small to do much with it but I also toned down the waterfall a bit and cooled things down ever so slightly. Still not happy with all the yellow on the water itself but it would take the Raw file for me to be able to correct that. It is a beautiful waterfall and I love the rocks peaking through in the foreground. The trees on the top right hand side give the place a mysteriousness that I love. I think you have the makings of a fine photo with a bit of tweaking.

Last edited by slowpez; 07-17-2019 at 01:04 PM.
06-24-2019, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I like the yellow low light coming through the trees as well as the softness of the image. I would have like less water on the bottom of the frame, so maybe crop the portion where you can see the bottom as it doesn't do much for me. I also would have liked a little more on the left side as the falls run right into the edge of the frame. So maybe try shooting in a landscape orientation and get less of the water on the bottom and more on the left at the same time. On the whole this looks like a wonderful place to shoot and there is a lot of potential for good pictures.
06-24-2019, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I prefer the original to the 2 reprocessed versions. The yellow background lighting is soft, and to me suggests a very humid day, possibly uncomfortably so, but a pretty scene to view.

It feels to me like the photo needs more breathing room on the left side. The lower-left portion of the falls looks like its out of the frame. Assuming that the original scan wasn't cropped, the only way to try that is going back to the site and taking a new photo standing a bit further back or with a wider lens, something that's not always practical.

Alternatively, crop away some of the right side so the falls are more balanced in the center of the new frame. I feel that may hurt the image, though, because you'll lose those yellow foreground leaves that match the background color.