Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2019, 02:42 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Central Ave
Lens: HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: Minneapolis ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 

It's been a long time since I've went out to actively take photos on my own. So I decided to try to go out during the blue hour near home. Please let me know what you think. My main gripe, personally, is that I was not able to get a good reflection of the bridge.

Photo was taken at 30mm and 30 seconds.

IMGP0352

07-10-2019, 03:46 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
Ok as we're in the critique section he's my hopefully to be taken constructive points... it's all a bit too busy, I'm not actually sure what the main subject of interest is, my eyes wandering about all of the place. I'd remove that post in centre at the bottom and tree bits top right and odd wee quick highlight tweaks here and there.

If you see my version of your image, I believe that it's always easier to see what I mean... rather than try to describe it in words.

At the end of the day there is no right or wrong here... it's all about personal preferences and choices.

Let me know your thoughts.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
07-10-2019, 04:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Ok as we're in the critique section he's my hopefully to be taken constructive points... it's all a bit too busy, I'm not actually sure what the main subject of interest is, my eyes wandering about all of the place. I'd remove that post in centre at the bottom and tree bits top right and odd wee quick highlight tweaks here and there.

If you see my version of your image, I believe that it's always easier to see what I mean... rather than try to describe it in words.

At the end of the day there is no right or wrong here... it's all about personal preferences and choices.

Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks for you input! To be quite honest, I didn't have a subject in mind. I just thought "this may look fine". It's been so long since I've taken a photo not pertaining to a car or airplane that I just wanted to go out.

Overall, I love what you have done. To remove those nuisances in the photos, are you using photoshop?
07-10-2019, 04:13 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by NomNamNom Quote
To remove those nuisances in the photos, are you using photoshop?
Yes... but only cos I'm very familiar with PS, it could have been just as easly done in LR too.

07-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just remove the heavy blue cast.
And a light crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
07-16-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I like the original colors. I don't think the blue needs any adjustment. If this were my photo I would experiment with reducing yellow saturation to see whether that makes the lights look better or worse.

The horizontal power lines are too much of a distraction for me. Software can easily erase the part in front of the sky but the portions in front of buildings are trickier. That then leaves the question of what to do with the utility poles; those take more work to hide because they are wider. This could just be a location that looks pretty to your eye but isn't photogenic.

The reflections are uneven because the river was not uniformly turbulent. There's not much you can do to fix that. I suppose you could try a Lightroom, Photoshop, or equivalent brush over the water to blur the smoothest parts so it seems more uniform rough. Your desire for a good reflection of the bridge might be impossible if those water conditions are typical. A Photoshop master might be able to copy and flip the bridge to simulate a reflection, but I suspect that most people who try that will end up creating a fake overprocessed mess.
07-16-2019, 11:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I like the original colors. I don't think the blue needs any adjustment. If this were my photo I would experiment with reducing yellow saturation to see whether that makes the lights look better or worse.

The horizontal power lines are too much of a distraction for me. Software can easily erase the part in front of the sky but the portions in front of buildings are trickier. That then leaves the question of what to do with the utility poles; those take more work to hide because they are wider. This could just be a location that looks pretty to your eye but isn't photogenic.

The reflections are uneven because the river was not uniformly turbulent. There's not much you can do to fix that. I suppose you could try a Lightroom, Photoshop, or equivalent brush over the water to blur the smoothest parts so it seems more uniform rough. Your desire for a good reflection of the bridge might be impossible if those water conditions are typical. A Photoshop master might be able to copy and flip the bridge to simulate a reflection, but I suspect that most people who try that will end up creating a fake overprocessed mess.
I will play with the yellow and see how it turns out. You are correct in the water condition being typical. I would have to go there a few more times in hopes of getting better conditions. Then again, I'd rather use my time to find a nicer location. I currently don't have any software capable of making any removal of distractions in photos, so I will look into getting something soon-ish. Thanks for the input!