Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2019, 09:39 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Fishboat under the milky way
Lens: HD Pentax DA 16-85 f3.5-5.6 Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: Capo Teulada (Italy) ISO: 2500 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F3.5 

This shot has been taken using the astrotracer O-GPS1, with 150 seconds of exposure, wide open at 16mm. The boat is slightly cloned because of the sensor movements. Any critique is more then welcome of course; feel free to ask any detail may be required.
Thanks
Danilo

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-16-2019, 09:58 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

I like how you processed the Milky Way. Nebulosity stands out but is not overprocessed.

Composition wise, the boat light could look better if it was further right, so the Milky Way and boat lie along the same diagonal. I realize no amount of zooming with your feet could have changed that in camera and I generally avoid relocating objects during processing (I'll erase distractions but I won't create what wasn't there).

Stars in the upper right show some star movement due to astrotracer limitations at ultrawide angles. Consider cropping a little off the top leaving the sides alone, provided you're not locked into a specific aspect ratio for the image.
07-27-2019, 02:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
First of all thanks for the comments, appreciated. Yes, agree, but indeed there was no way to relocate the boat moving myself. Composition side: I already had some crop to cut some trailed stars, going further mean to loose some of the right arms of the milky way, even if hidden by jupiter light. Yes, i love to stay in standard ratio and for vertical shots i generally prefer this 4:3 , it's my problem I know, I hate 3:2
The solution is (was) take more images with short exposure time and then stack them in post.
09-30-2019, 10:42 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mctaveck Quote
This shot has been taken using the astrotracer O-GPS1, with 150 seconds of exposure, wide open at 16mm. The boat is slightly cloned because of the sensor movements. Any critique is more then welcome of course; feel free to ask any detail may be required.
Thanks
Danilo
Not much you could have done with the scene you had, but the boat being so far away loses its impact in the image. If it were close up, this woiuld have been a great and unique scene.

10-01-2019, 08:08 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I like it. Wish i could have done this. One day though.

for vertical shots i generally prefer this 4:3
I agree with you there, but i dont think this image would as good in any other format than the one you have used.

short exposure time and then stack them in post.
What program du you prefer for stacking?
10-01-2019, 09:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

Very nice! Is it a stack or only one picture?
10-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice picture, congrats; what location did you get that picture taken

10-01-2019, 11:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I like this a lot as an image of the milky way, but I have to say that I find myself searching for the boat; is it the light at the bottom of the image? So at this moment it doesn't really work as far as the boat part is concerned.
10-02-2019, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Stacking or

QuoteOriginally posted by dantonvb Quote
Very nice! Is it a stack or only one picture?
It's just one exposure, no stack.
Cheers and thanks
Danilo

---------- Post added 10-02-19 at 11:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dan.a.nesheim Quote
I like it. Wish i could have done this. One day though.

I agree with you there, but i dont think this image would as good in any other format than the one you have used.

What program du you prefer for stacking?
No, no. I tried some of them but I'm not able to use them. I was referring to the fact that astrotracer limitations (trails in the cornes) cold be passed by making many shots to then stack. Unfortunately ... this was not the case
Thanks
Danilo
Cheers

---------- Post added 10-02-19 at 11:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
nice picture, congrats; what location did you get that picture taken
South od Sardinia Isle (Italy). It's one of the darker area in Italy (terrible land for astrophotograpy)
Thanks
Danilo
Cheers

---------- Post added 10-02-19 at 11:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
I like this a lot as an image of the milky way, but I have to say that I find myself searching for the boat; is it the light at the bottom of the image? So at this moment it doesn't really work as far as the boat part is concerned.
Yes it is. Sometimes titles creates too much expectations, I know but I'm not a pro photographer so I'm having fun as well. Maybe saying anything that little light should have had a better impact? Oh what's that ? A fallen star? Anyway, really thanks about your comment but I though introducing that in the title was just to emphatyze how little and meaningless is the human being in the infinite
Thanks
Danilo
10-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks
Danilo
Wow - nice shot. Any idea the brightness (Bortle #) for where you were when you took this shot? My area isn't so bright, but still too bright to get anything like this shot. Well done.
10-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reality_Check Quote
Wow - nice shot. Any idea the brightness (Bortle #) for where you were when you took this shot? My area isn't so bright, but still too bright to get anything like this shot. Well done.
According Lightpollitionmap.com
Zenith sky brightness information
Coordinates
SQM 21.75 mag./arc sec2
Brightness 0.216 mcd/m2
Artif. bright. 45.0 μcd/m2
Ratio 0.263
Bortle class 3
Elevation 12 meters
In Italy unfortunately is not so easy... well , it's almost impossible find darker areas
Thanks
Danilo
10-10-2019, 12:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks
Danilo
The stars are perfect! I would add more detail to the foreground, becase it wasn't clear for me what's at the horizontal line without reading your comment.
10-10-2019, 05:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photographing the Milky Way is something that I constantly struggle with. I think it's a matter of post-processing, I'm simply not doing it right.

Would you be willing to take me by the hand and walk me through it?
10-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
The stars are perfect! I would add more detail to the foreground, becase it wasn't clear for me what's at the horizontal line without reading your comment.
You're right. Unfortunately was not so easy because there was nothing between me , the sea and the milky way neither i could go to the shore: i was on a road with no access to the sea. But you're rigth, i can pop out a little bit the horizon although i'm not a big fan of night shots with a day light. But yes, good suggestion!
thanks
Danilo

---------- Post added 10-10-19 at 11:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Photographing the Milky Way is something that I constantly struggle with. I think it's a matter of post-processing, I'm simply not doing it right.

Ahhh hard to do. But I disagree it's a matter of postprocessing. Like any other photograph, composition and message matter. It's not just technical. Of course technical side is there and not just post processing:

lens: depending on the focal you like and the result you want to achieve, the more is fast the best result you will have
camera: good noise management and , I'll tell once again, in camera noise reduction for long exposure , as my K3 has
astrotracer: you can do without but havin it , for my level of knowledge , is almost mandatory. You can stack many images taken sequentially but is not something i know
file: raw. no doubt

Of course tripod, remote control, manual focus and ... a torch!

this is a big piece of non post-processing approach, including the rule of 600 to avoid star trail (you'll have a bunch of tutorial about it)

then PP: it's a very long story but I can tell you the main flow so that you may ask detail were you need

1) very very light adjustment in Ligthroom, basically for WB to have a neutral sky and to have a little contrast on the milky way, some clarity but not too much. nothing is touched about sharpness or noise
2) then Photoshop as a smart object where, using layers and masks, I use Nick Collection tool for color adjustment and final contrast adjustment
3) also in Photoshop dodge and burn on the Milky way
4) also Photoshop for noise reduction with luminosity mask

done. Takes a couple of hours (I'm not soo good !)

Danilo

---------- Post added 10-10-19 at 11:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

Ahhh hard to do. But I disagree it's a matter of postprocessing. Like any other photograph, composition and message matter. It's not just technical. Of course technical side is there and not just post processing:

lens: depending on the focal you like and the result you want to achieve, the more is fast the best result you will have
camera: good noise management and , I'll tell once again, in camera noise reduction for long exposure , as my K3 has
astrotracer: you can do without but havin it , for my level of knowledge , is almost mandatory. You can stack many images taken sequentially but is not something i know

this is a big piece of non post-processing approach, including the rule of 600 to avoid star trail (you'll have a bunch of tutorial about it)

then PP: it's a very long story but I can tell you the main flow so that you may ask detail were you need

1) very very light adjustment in Ligthroom, basically for WB to have a neutral sky and to have a little contrast on the milky way, some clarity but not too much. nothing is touched about sharpness or noise
2) then Photoshop as a smart object where, using layers and masks, I use Nick Collection tool for color adjustment and final contrast adjustment

Danilo
10-11-2019, 04:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

That part doesn't bother me too much. My process is similar to yours.

It's probably a matter of dodge and burn, mostly, then. I do this kind of editing in Lightroom usually (I have GIMP but not Photoshop). Steps 2-3-4 (mostly the last two) are probably key.

Thanks.