Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Testing Sharpness on Recently Acquired Pentax-M 50mm, 1.7 lens
Lens: Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: My Front Yard ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F4 

Focal Length 50mm, Manual Exposure Mode, No Fill Flash With CWA Metering.

Received this lens two days ago and took first chance at testing it in the front yard. Appears to do a pretty good job. Image is straight out of camera.

Thanks for viewing.

TT

07-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote

Focal Length 50mm, Manual Exposure Mode, No Fill Flash With CWA Metering.

Received this lens two days ago and took first chance at testing it in the front yard. Appears to do a pretty good job. Image is straight out of camera.

Thanks for viewing.

TT
I enjoy seeing what others can do with this lens.

I acquired my dad's Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 a year ago. After many initial failed photos I am now shooting some nice pics. I had found there was an obtuse setting flipped on in the camera that changed color hues. It wasn't noticeably affecting pics with my other lenses. But it turned everything yellow and tan with this lens. After correcting it I have taken some pleasing photos. Nice acquisition. You are going to enjoy it.
07-29-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
I enjoy seeing what others can do with this lens.

I acquired my dad's Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 a year ago. After many initial failed photos I am now shooting some nice pics. I had found there was an obtuse setting flipped on in the camera that changed color hues. It wasn't noticeably affecting pics with my other lenses. But it turned everything yellow and tan with this lens. After correcting it I have taken some pleasing photos. Nice acquisition. You are going to enjoy it.

Thanks very much for your encouraging comments. Please take a look at my second offering with the same lens.

TT
07-30-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Tony

I have looked at both your shots with this lens and the K-7. It seems to be a pretty good combo. There is a bit of purple fringing in the leaves but that is to be expected and easily treated in PP.

Cheers

07-31-2019, 02:14 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Hi Tony

I have looked at both your shots with this lens and the K-7. It seems to be a pretty good combo. There is a bit of purple fringing in the leaves but that is to be expected and easily treated in PP.

Cheers

Hi Bruce, I see what you are saying about the leaves in the upper background. I thought it could be caused by the time of the evening where the sun was going down rather

quickly, but I am sure you are correct. Thanks very much for your kind and generous words.

TT
07-31-2019, 02:34 AM   #6
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi

M50/1.7 is a great lens. You can find best sharpness at f5.6. I just shot a month with that lens in July 2019 Single in Challenge. If interested you can find my conclusion and some shots here: The M Club! - Page 488 - PentaxForums.com
07-31-2019, 05:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Hi Bruce, I see what you are saying about the leaves in the upper background. I thought it could be caused by the time of the evening where the sun was going down rather
Go to f8 and that will get better, Tony.
07-31-2019, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Go to f8 and that will get better, Tony.

I thank you very much for your assistance.

TT

---------- Post added 07-31-19 at 05:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Hi

M50/1.7 is a great lens. You can find best sharpness at f5.6. I just shot a month with that lens in July 2019 Single in Challenge. If interested you can find my conclusion and some shots here: The M Club! - Page 488 - PentaxForums.com

I thank you for your assistance and input. I did take a good, long look at your images taken with this lens and you are correct, they are quite impressive. That lens may be an

Oldie but a Goodie, but it still has some beautiful glass. Again, many thanks. )

TT

08-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The 50mm f1.7 is a price/performance star. Even though I have 2 copies of the M version, I couldn't stop myself from picking up an A version at an estate sale when it was half-price day. In fact, I brought that one to the office today to see how it works with our MILCs we're using for video.
08-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

According to the histogram in Gimp there is a tiny amount of overexposure clipping in the image, presumably in the highlights of the green foliage. This will create flatness of texture right where we are looking at image sharpness. Take the shot half a stop or so darker and it will appear even sharper. If the jpg engine has applied highlight reconstruction to achieve the above then it is even more overexposed than what it appears.
PS the 50 1.7 series rock.
08-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
According to the histogram in Gimp there is a tiny amount of overexposure clipping in the image, presumably in the highlights of the green foliage. This will create flatness of texture right where we are looking at image sharpness. Take the shot half a stop or so darker and it will appear even sharper. If the jpg engine has applied highlight reconstruction to achieve the above then it is even more overexposed than what it appears.
PS the 50 1.7 series rock.

Thank you very much.

TT
08-02-2019, 09:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tonytee, I am a duffer when it comes to photography, but this lens helps make me look good. Here is an example of a photo I took using this lens. https://www.flickr.com/photos/82428620@N00/48028092603/in/datetaken-public/.

There is a photogroup on Flickr devoted to Pentax nifty fifties.Flickr: The SMC PENTAX-(M,A,F,FA) 1:1.7 50mm Pool
09-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a big fan of this lens. Got it new with a ME Super.
Glorious4 PF - Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-K5IIs - PentaxForums.com
10-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Image quality is likely not going to be a major issue with just about any 50-mil standard prime produced within the last 50 years unless you pick a faulty unit. And from what I see, yours seems to be no exception. The thing is that posting the image in the Critique section invites people to consider all aspects of it, including subject, light, composition, moment, emotional impact, technique, etc. - a considerably broader scope than seems to be your interest here?
10-08-2019, 10:58 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Image quality is likely not going to be a major issue with just about any 50-mil standard prime produced within the last 50 years unless you pick a faulty unit. And from what I see, yours seems to be no exception. The thing is that posting the image in the Critique section invites people to consider all aspects of it, including subject, light, composition, moment, emotional impact, technique, etc. - a considerably broader scope than seems to be your interest here?

Greatly appreciated, Madaboutpix. The issues you mentioned are exactly what I was seeking from the Critique Section. I have been a member here for a little more than

seven years and the willingness of members to offer assistance has been to say the least, "Most Impressive." Bringing up one issue or point I found was more than sufficient

and as you can see, and I did not wish to create a laundry list of points regarding the lens' performance. In addition it also gives me another opportunity to thank everyone

for their generosity with their time and knowledge. Including your comments. Thanks very much.

Regards,,

Vielen dank.

Tony