Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2019, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
The God Emperor of the Ring
Lens: SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Camera: Pentax K-5 IIs Photo Location: Dallas, Texas ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F4 

This was actually taken at 1/100s but that's not an option in the drop-down.

Obviously, this isn't a shot I can take again but I'll take advice for the next time I get a chance like this. On reddit, I went low-key viral with this picture.

I had to crop it down to frame it like this. The original is zoomed much further out due to where my seats were. I wasn't too far from the ring. I think the lines and the subjects of the shot are good. Some might say the crowd is distracting but it helps tell a story. The "CHAOS" towel is relevant because that's the group that the wrestler is a part of. I'm looking for any technical tweaks that I could make the next time I'm in this kind of situation. Using a longer lens would help, but at the moment I only have an 18-200 zoom, which wouldn't have worked well with the lighting that was available in the arena. One day I'd like to pick up a 70-200 f/2.8.

Any and all ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by aaronjamesgray; 11-26-2019 at 03:11 PM.
08-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I actually think the shot is much better for having the crowd and could probably use even more context.

You have a bit of blur on the subject which looks to be the result of either camera shake or shutter speed. But there's nothing you could have done most likely without either shooting from a more supported position or with a faster shutter speed, which introduces its own issues.

All in all good shot! 👍

---------- Post added 08-16-2019 at 11:21 AM ----------

To expand on the above re: context, I'd like to see a wider shot with a sense of what he's pointing at or towards.
10-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaronjamesgray Quote

Obviously, this isn't a shot I can take again but I'll take advice for the next time I get a chance like this. On reddit, I went low-key viral with this picture.

I had to crop it down to frame it like this. The original is zoomed much further out due to where my seats were. I wasn't too far from the ring. I think the lines and the subjects of the shot are good. Some might say the crowd is distracting but it helps tell a story. The "CHAOS" towel is relevant because that's the group that the wrestler is a part of. I'm looking for any technical tweaks that I could make the next time I'm in this kind of situation. Using a longer lens would help, but at the moment I only have an 18-200 zoom, which wouldn't have worked well with the lighting that was available in the arena. One day I'd like to pick up a 70-200 f/2.8.

I would cut the bottom and right, leaving the cell phone in it.
10-01-2019, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If possible I would crop to lose the green " light " on the upper right

Otherwise very nice

10-06-2019, 05:31 AM   #5

I wouldnt have changed anything to the final result.
But i would probably have tried to get rid of the blur by rising the iso to get faster shutter speed even though this would reduce the image quality on the k5.
10-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Some might say the crowd is distracting but it helps tell a story.
I agree that the crowd adds context. Without the crowd it's just some guy posing in a costume.
10-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

A great pose captured. The crowd really adds to this so I'd like to see more crowd as well and a bit more space around your subject.

11-10-2019, 12:23 AM   #8
Forum Member

would have either remove the 2 fellows on bottom or show more of them. the color is magic for sure :-)
11-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use shutter priority to get a better focused shot (left arm is out of focus). And if you want to keep this, I'd crop out all the distracting stuff. Like anything below his waist.
11-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #10
Banned

great colors, clarity
11-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It has a little motion blur, but you nailed the moment and the composition! I would go with F2.8 and 1/200 instead.
12-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Suggestions for current image- Crop from the right, leave the cell phone arms (a bit out of focus is OK to me as they are not the main subject and give some context), clone out any remaining green spot, maybe clone out the one half cell phone on the bottom.

For future thought- a little more room above the head. Almost "topped off" the main subject!
12-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

You caught the moment well. Perhaps cropping a little less to show more of the crowd would enhance the image.

There seems to be a spot of motion blur on the left. The EXIF data shows ISO 800. You should have with ISO 1600 or even 3200 next time. Your K5 II S should still deliver at tat sort of ISO.

As for lenses, don't beat yourself up about getting a 70-200/2.8 one day. In the meantime, check out a used MF prime in 200 or 300mm. The SMC Pentax M 200mm f/4 works great. I have one that I bought in the mid eighties. There are plenty of them around at affordable prices.

SMC Pentax-M 200mm F4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

A 300 is a bit tougher to choose. The most affordable one is the K 300/4. Prices are not pretty good, The downside is that it is an old design and not quite perfect by today's standards, but that's not really a deal breaker.

SMC Pentax 300mm F4 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The later M* and A* are said to be wonderful, but they are not cheap.

SMC Pentax-M* 300mm F4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F4 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

There are lots of third party 300's in K mount, but I don't know which one is best.

Update: the 300mm of your dreams is on sale right here, right now.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/396809-sa...caps-case.html

Last edited by Wasp; 12-14-2019 at 09:45 AM.
12-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
If possible I would crop to lose the green " light " on the upper right

Otherwise very nice
I think that it makes sense to keep the light. It seems like he is pointing at it