Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2019, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Start Your Engine
Lens: Lester Dine 105mm f2.8 Camera: K-5iis Photo Location: Toledo Botanical Garden ISO: 280 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F13.5 

Saw this tractor with keys in the ignition and really didn't think much of it at first. I went and took a number of photos of flowers before returning to my car. I looked over at the tractor and thought, why not take a shot. This is the results. What do you think? Any and all input is appreciated so bring it on.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
09-11-2019, 01:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice colours and a solid image, but there's some minor motion blur (I assume from the 1/8s shutter speed, perhaps down to the f/13 aperture). Though it's not particularly deleterious in this care, it'd be picked up by the pixel-peepers.

The slightly scratched out diagram is a nice addition as well. It might've been nice to see more of that at the top, with the contrasted 'stop' sign, or conversely more of the keychains/other keys (if they were at all interesting).

The above would be if I was being overtly critical, which I'm typically not. Nor am I a professional (or anywhere near that) so don't take my word as gospel!
09-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
Forum Member

Aside from the technical issues, I would have tried a few different compositions. Sometimes the angle or position of the subject in the frame can make a huge difference. Credit for trying to make something plain like a key into something interesting. It doesn’t grab me as it is, but I think its possible to make it interesting all the same. I would probably have tried a dozen angles and compositions with different aperture and/or shutter settings to find what I like and what I don’t.
10-01-2019, 04:32 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I have to agree with the two commenters above. There's a shot to be had here! Great vibrant contrasting colours, a solid purpose to the photograph, and certainly a unique point of view of an easily overlook detail of everyday life. The photograph makes me think of the roar of firing up an engine.

But, there are some weaknesses in the photograph that could be learned from and improved in the future.

1) I see that you chose a low ISO, a deep aperture, and a slow shutter-speed.
When approaching this photo, why did you choose the settings that you did? How did these choices help you reach an outcome you wanted, or how did they hold you back?
2) How did you want the elements of the photo to interact with one another? Where did you want your audience's eyes to be lead?
3) What references or allusions can you make to other works? If you were to go back and recompose the photo, how would you change the composition?

Keep it up!

10-01-2019, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Especially if the key chain is interesting getting the shot in portrait orientation and not cutting the top of the label or the bottom of the key chain off would probably work better.
It would be more interesting if it were the original ignition with the tractor brand on it with an attractive key chain. Pretty sure it overlaps the sticker and is blank because its a replacement.
10-02-2019, 05:00 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks you all for your input. I couldn't agree more with your comments regarding the composition. There is a story behind the photo. My wife and I went to the local botonical garden to shot some flowers. I parked next to this old tractor and noticed the key in the ignition and thought nothing about it. We walked away and went into the gardens but my mind kept going back to the keys in the ignition. After some tome, we finished taking pictures of various flowers and walked back to the car. My wife had already gotten into the hot car, while I went up to the tractor looking to compose the shot. I fired away as she was 'encouraging' me to forget about the tractor and get in the car and so in hast, I missed the 'stop' part on the top. I intentionally did not include the dangling keys because there was an unsightly tag with the tractor number obstruction them. As for the camera settings, I had the camera on a monopod while in the garden, so the low iso and slower shutter speed. With the wife wanting to leave, in my hast I neglected to check the settings. All in all, I like the shot. Yes, there are flaws but my eyes are still attracted to the image. Perhaps it's because I'm a car guy.
10-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Saw this tractor with keys in the ignition and really didn't think much of it at first. I went and took a number of photos of flowers before returning to my car. I looked over at the tractor and thought, why not take a shot. This is the results. What do you think? Any and all input is appreciated so bring it on.
Like the colours and the hint that it's just about to be switched on!
10-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #8

I like it. Lots of thing to look at, but organized. Though i didnt think of the keychain before reading the comments. I think the label and the contrasting colors are more interesting.

10-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #9

Move the frame slightly up and to the right, and this would look great.

So that the "stop" label would be fully within the frame and close to the top center of the frame.
10-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #10

Agree with the notes about the soft focus and the tags being cut off on the key. Do like the colours here, if the shot had been a bit wider it would have helped.
11-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #11

Aunque la fotografía muestra poca cosa, si nos paramos a pensar un poco en lo que vemos, pues nos está diciendo bastantes, cosas, que es una llave que a su vez pertenece a algún tipo de maquinaria, que es de color azul y que está parado, puesto que está en la posición de stop. Si dejamos volar un poco la imaginación puede ser que creamos que es un tractor, o no. Pero al menos deja un mensaje que depende de cada observador será diferente, todo ello independientemente de la calidad técnica en cuanto a nitidez, etc.

Google translation (added by moderator):

Although photography shows little, if we stop to think a little about what we see, it is telling us enough, things, which is a key that in turn belongs to some type of machinery, which is blue and is stopped, since it is in the stop position. If we let the imagination fly a little, we might think it is a tractor, or not. But at least leave a message that depends on each observer will be different, all regardless of the technical quality in terms of sharpness, etc.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-04-2019 at 11:59 AM. Reason: English translation added
11-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like these shot of daily life ..
Normally one doesn't see them ..
11-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #13
Banned

I'm not sure but then I haven't put anything in.