Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old Cedar Ave Bridge Cable
Lens: Sigma 300mm f/4 APO Macro Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Old Cedar Ave. Bridge ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 

I like this photo but am wondering what others think as well ways it could have been improved. It is one of the cables on the Old Cedar Ave. Bridge that has been converted to a walking bridge and this cable is one of the ones that makes up the safety railing.

10-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, nothing clicks...
10-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I like this photo but am wondering what others think as well ways it could have been improved. It is one of the cables on the Old Cedar Ave. Bridge that has been converted to a walking bridge and this cable is one of the ones that makes up the safety railing.
I have to ask; why?
10-01-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As long as you like the picture it doesn't really matter what others think.
That beeing said it doesn't really work for me either, because I totaly rely on your description of what kind of cable that is and I don't get any information out of the picture.
That can be interesting for an abstract image, but I can clearly see what it is, I just don't know what it is holding, it can easily be part of a sailing ship or a flagpole for all I know (without reading your description).
I think this image would work better if you go nearer to the cable and tilt the camera to the left so we can see the blurred image of the bridge in the background.
Or alternatively go even closer and show some kind of processing inhomogeneity or a single strand of the cable and play around in post so it gets an abstract image.

Last edited by othar; 10-01-2019 at 01:29 PM.
10-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
As long as you like the picture it doesn't really matter what others think.
That is why photographers share their photos, they just should not care if the others like it or not, they just share...

---------- Post added 01-10-19 at 15:02 ----------

Would you spend your money to print this photo, frame it and hang it on the wall somewhere in your home?
10-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally I would like to most of the fittings in focus. It really depends on your intent however and I can't judge that.
10-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Drinkkeri Quote
I have to ask; why?
QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
That is why photographers share their photos, they just should not care if the others like it or not, they just share...
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
It really depends on your intent however and I can't judge that.
I think I like it because it is very minimalist. I know it is rather abstract and I was really curious what others thought of the image and why. My mind always seems a bit off and at times I do wonder if I have wandered too far off into the woods something, hence why I am looking for feedback. I also do want to improve and become cognizant of things and without feedback that becomes rather difficult at times. Some pictures I take I know what I would have changed or done differently to get a better image and others, like this one, I am perfectly happy with a bisected green rectangle and was trying to see if I could take an interesting picture of something completely plain and boring.

The description was mostly my ramblings because I feel like I need to toss something out for every photo, but in the end it is just a cable with the tensioner running diagonally across the frame.

10-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

for me DOF is a problem here; it seem to to help
10-02-2019, 04:43 AM   #9
vtn

I like this pictuture, but what is the idea behind this photo? Or it is just an esthetics?
10-02-2019, 05:51 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vtn Quote
I like this pictuture, but what is the idea behind this photo? Or it is just an esthetics?
Mostly I was trying to see if I could create an interesting good picture of something completely mundane and boring. I also frequently try to take interesting pictures of sticks, most of those don't work out.

It is actually interesting how in the general critique section here most people haven't liked the image but I also put it up in the minimalist thread and there the opposite seems to be true.
10-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Funny - I happened to scroll by this photo and though to myself, "That looks like something Mossy might shoot." That was either today or yesterday; can't remember. Scroll by again and this time I happen to see your name pop up! You pull off some pretty good shots using that old 300/4. Was your focus point the back of the cable? Did you play with any other focus points (front, middle, etc.)? I've really liked some of your other photos in nature more than this one, though!
10-08-2019, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reality_Check Quote
I happened to scroll by this photo and though to myself, "That looks like something Mossy might shoot."
I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. At least I have a style that is recognizable.

Was your focus point the back of the cable?
Yes I was going for the spot where the cable meets the tensioner.
Did you play with any other focus points (front, middle, etc.)?
Yes but if I shoot this again I think I would go and try to be perpendicular to the cable with a similar framing so that I can have it all in focus.

I've really liked some of your other photos in nature more than this one, though!
Thanks. I like to try different things, sometimes it works, other times it wanders off into the bit too odd.

You pull off some pretty good shots using that old 300/4.
While it is an older lens it is actually a pretty good lens but then good glass is good glass regardless of age. I have a lot of old and older lenses that I've gotten that are actually really good and don't always need to be chasing the latest and greatest for only marginal improvements. My most recent lens is at least 15 years old and maybe as much as 33 years old and has replaced that 300/4 as my primary astro lens because it is faster, longer, and only needs to be stopped down 2/3 stops instead of 1 stop to clean up the CA that shows when doing astro shots.
10-09-2019, 08:07 AM   #13

Not sure. I dont feel it, but still there is something appealing.
The image grabs my curiosity, but i cant define it.
Whatever it is you did a good job with this one. Its a keeper.
10-09-2019, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I rarely use thin depth of field in my own photography so don't give too much weight to this comment, but IMO thin depth of field works better when most of the blur is in the background rather than in the foreground.

If this were my photo I would crop out some of the lower-right part of the image, which would have the effect of shifting the in-focus portion of the image forwards. I would also experiment with processing to see how the cable looks with more contrast or in B&W.
10-09-2019, 08:52 AM   #15

Thank you for sharing. I think perhaps the focus in the centre would work better for me. My eye goes there, but the blurriness is discomfiting. And I would definitely prefer a sharp black and white with perhaps some blurred background details, or even plain gray.