Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting/ Good Enough For Competition?
Lens: Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye Camera: Pentax K-S2 Photo Location: Jasper ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/50s Aperture: F18 

I'm waffling on entering this shot into a local competition.
There is no theme to the competition (open theme).
No cash prize or anything - just ribbons, but I take 'em seriously

Can you tell what's going on (spring thaw, you see ice along the trees). If not, is the white ice odd and distracting?
Can you tell it's a cropped fish eye? Is that fishy distortion doin' it for ya?
I don't know if it's terribly interesting enough - are these sort of shots over done?
The reflection isn't spectacular and the shadow of the tree in the water distracts me.
I tend to look more at the rotting wood in the bottom right than the focal point of the mountains/reflection. Rotting wood isn't really a sweet focal point..
Can you provide any feedback as to the editing?

Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
10-01-2019, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #2

I'm just a pure hobbyist. However, for me, there is to much going on in the bottom half. It's pulling my eyes down, and I don't find it interesting there. I would have cropped it just around the top bend in the tree branch.
10-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rexlawyer Quote
I'm just a pure hobbyist. However, for me, there is to much going on in the bottom half. It's pulling my eyes down, and I don't find it interesting there. I would have cropped it just around the top bend in the tree branch.
Thank you very much for the feedback!

What do you think of this:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
10-01-2019, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #4

I agree. The cropped image looks better for me. Or if you had 1-2 steps back, so this bench would take less space of image, but still be there to show 3rd dimansion on image.

10-01-2019, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The thing with extreme wide angles is that it tends to put the emphasis on the foreground and in this photo the tree as you self hinted at takes the attention away from the main attraction; the mountains and the reflection in the lake. With a bit more distance it could have been a nice element leading the eye into the landscape though. So there is nothing wrong with your instinct to make use of it. Perhaps defishing the photo will crop enough away to bring some more balance to the scene.

Edit: I posted this after you posted your second photo. That already is an improvement over the original!
10-01-2019, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi

Agree with cropping of bottom. Overall I find the image a bit bright and losing some detail in the highlights. Secondly it appears unbalanced to my eye as if it is leaning to the left slightly, it may be an optical illusion but that's the feeling I get.

Good luck with the competition.
10-01-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Agree with cropping of bottom.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
I posted this after you posted your second photo. That already is an improvement over the original!
QuoteOriginally posted by MatKus Quote
I agree.
Thank you all for the feedback!

10-01-2019, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Interesting scene but seems a bit too bright.
10-01-2019, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I would agree, the brightness is high enough that its just under the point where you start losing detail in the highlights.

You asked about the ice on the far shore being distracting, It sort of is, especially since its the only element of the picture that is super fisheye looking. Pulling the brightness down might reduce the water (clear ice?) glare which is a bit distracting too.
10-01-2019, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like ultra wide fisheye lenses and the distortion can be fun and produce some stunning images. this location has the potential but I would have probably been standing in the water crouched down to get the upper part of the fallen tree out of the frame. I would probably have then tried to get the tree into the lower right corner and have it going to the middle with this shot in landscape instead of portrait. Basically I would be trying to force as much distortion into the tree as I could and using it as a line to lead me into the picture.

Other than that I think the image is on the overly bright side. I don't know what edits you did to the original but if you have light room one thing I've found to be a good starting point is to pull the highlights all the way down, pull the shadows all the way up, then move the white point up until it almost clips and move the black point down until it almost clips. So long as the original image isn't clipped you may find that this cleans up a lot. I went and did kind of what I was thinking with the framing and also the Lightroom edits, but like I said I would have been out in the water so the part of the upright part of the fallen tree that is in the lower right corner would be out of the frame entirely:
Name:  IMGP5202-Edit-3.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  289.3 KB
10-01-2019, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I like ultra wide fisheye lenses and the distortion can be fun and produce some stunning images. this location has the potential but I would have probably been standing in the water crouched down to get the upper part of the fallen tree out of the frame. I would probably have then tried to get the tree into the lower right corner and have it going to the middle with this shot in landscape instead of portrait. Basically I would be trying to force as much distortion into the tree as I could and using it as a line to lead me into the picture.

Other than that I think the image is on the overly bright side. I don't know what edits you did to the original but if you have light room one thing I've found to be a good starting point is to pull the highlights all the way down, pull the shadows all the way up, then move the white point up until it almost clips and move the black point down until it almost clips. So long as the original image isn't clipped you may find that this cleans up a lot. I went and did kind of what I was thinking with the framing and also the Lightroom edits, but like I said I would have been out in the water so the part of the upright part of the fallen tree that is in the lower right corner would be out of the frame entirely:
Attachment 466247
This crop looks the best in my opinion. Also agree it is bright and would benefit from deeper tones. Also maybe a couple of degrees rotation to the left.
10-01-2019, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #12

It needs to be rotated a touch to the right in my opinion and the crop is definitely better than the original photo that you posted. I don't think you need to play around with the colors though.
10-02-2019, 06:11 AM   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
Interesting scene but seems a bit too bright.
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I think I would agree, the brightness is high enough that its just under the point where you start losing detail in the highlights.
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Rexlawyer Quote
This crop looks the best in my opinion. Also agree it is bright and would benefit from deeper tones. Also maybe a couple of degrees rotation to the left.
QuoteOriginally posted by PaysonAZTim Quote
It needs to be rotated a touch to the right in my opinion and the crop is definitely better than the original photo that you posted. I don't think you need to play around with the colors though.
Thank you all for the feedback!
10-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Too much hdr going on
10-05-2019, 07:32 AM   #15
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
Too much hdr going on
...no hdr feature is used in this picture.
Thanks for commenting though!