Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fine art
Lens: 50mm Camera: K-100D Photo Location: outdoor ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F22 

any comment about this photo are welcome to make it better.

Attached Images

10-01-2019, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lovely photo! I like the monochrome decision - if I could add a lively focal point (bird/ boat) would really add to the image. well done!
10-01-2019, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Well done, great subject for monochrome.
10-01-2019, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Really nice but there is so much detail that without color the human eye has some difficulty sorting it out, if you have access to that spot again try a much shallower depth of field to blur the far bank more and make the tree pop out better. The detail on the water should be in focus in front and recede into a blur in an attractive way as well then.
The lighting makes the branches shape show up nicely so try to reproduce that time of day and weather with a faster shutter speed and/or iso to allow the narrower depth of field.

If you took it from shore with a longer lens from father away it could be difficult to narrow the depth of field enough. You also would need a lens that doesn't suffer from really noisy bokeh to avoid just making everything a blurry mess.

10-01-2019, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
10-01-2019, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm curious how you did the B&W conversion? if you just did a desaturate and play with contrast you might find you get better results doing a B&W conversion where you desaturate each color in photoshop or what ever software you used and then adjust the brightness of each color to bring out or hide detail. You might be able to tone down background and lighten up the foreground if they are colored different enough. Overall it is a nice image and looks to me like it just needs some tweaking in post.
10-01-2019, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luis garcia Quote
I liked the contrast of the monochrome picture. Well done!

10-02-2019, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
vtn

Nice shot, but I am missing an object (say a bird) in the lower right corner....
10-02-2019, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I agree with PPPP42 and would like the picture better with the lens opened more. At 50 mm, anything below f5.6 would also get you lots of sharpness and a blurred and thus less distracting background. The leaves in the water that would be gradually blurred would do the trick of creating coherence between the sharp tree and the background. I totally agree with the other's comments about the B&W conversion, it works wonders for this image.
10-02-2019, 07:34 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I'm curious how you did the B&W conversion? if you just did a desaturate and play with contrast you might find you get better results doing a B&W conversion where you desaturate each color in photoshop or what ever software you used and then adjust the brightness of each color to bring out or hide detail. You might be able to tone down background and lighten up the foreground if they are colored different enough. Overall it is a nice image and looks to me like it just needs some tweaking in post.
thanks for your comment
10-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks for your comment
I try to be helpful but realize that I still have a long way to go in learning.
10-04-2019, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #12

The composition is good, BW was a good choice. But using F22 in this instance gives to much detail, and it becomes unclear what is the real subject.
If you can i would suggest going back and sit there for 15 min trying narrow inn your thoughts to that one little detail that makes this scene great, and then try to isolate that detail with a shallow depth of field.
Personally I would have done exactly like you, but focusing on the tree with aperture F2,8 to F5,6 area and used a circular polarizer.
10-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dan.a.nesheim Quote
The composition is good, BW was a good choice. But using F22 in this instance gives to much detail, and it becomes unclear what is the real subject.
If you can i would suggest going back and sit there for 15 min trying narrow inn your thoughts to that one little detail that makes this scene great, and then try to isolate that detail with a shallow depth of field.
Personally I would have done exactly like you, but focusing on the tree with aperture F2,8 to F5,6 area and used a circular polarizer.
good point of view thanks for the comment
10-05-2019, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An intimate landscape image I felt immediately drawn to. With obviously cropped images like this one, I'm often curious to see what the original-aspect ratio image would have looked like, but your crop does seem to make sense. If I had taken the shot, I think I would have tried to avoid the F22 setting, to not run into diffraction limiting, and because DOF would have been extended enough, even if not every detail on the opposite side had been sharp.

I think I would advise against using a polarizer on occasions like this, a suggestion made by other posters, or at least not go for the maximum effect, since water and foliage without reflections can look quite unnatural IMO.

If you often do b/w conversions like this, you may find dedicated software like Silver Efex Pro (part of the DxO Nik Collection) quite a revelation. (I know I did.) A number of meaningful presets to start from and intuitive tools to micro-manage contrast, tonality, and whatnot. Of course, you can manipulate all these in your RAW converter of choice too.
10-05-2019, 06:58 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
An intimate landscape image I felt immediately drawn to. With obviously cropped images like this one, I'm often curious to see what the original-aspect ratio image would have looked like, but your crop does seem to make sense. If I had taken the shot, I think I would have tried to avoid the F22 setting, to not run into diffraction limiting, and because DOF would have been extended enough, even if not every detail on the opposite side had been sharp.

I think I would advise against using a polarizer on occasions like this, a suggestion made by other posters, or at least not go for the maximum effect, since water and foliage without reflections can look quite unnatural IMO.

If you often do b/w conversions like this, you may find dedicated software like Silver Efex Pro (part of the DxO Nik Collection) quite a revelation. (I know I did.) A number of meaningful presets to start from and intuitive tools to micro-manage contrast, tonality, and whatnot. Of course, you can manipulate all these in your RAW converter of choice too.
thanks for the info