Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2019, 05:52 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Old home on a hill
Lens: Super Takumar 105mm Camera: k5lls Photo Location: County Limerick, Ireland ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F11 

I finally took the time to take a few shots of this old homeplace that I see every time we go to Mary's Uncle Jim's house. It always catches my eye. Here's two perspectives. I didn't do much post processing, just some lightening up of the foreground and a touch of saturation on one.

10-02-2019, 06:09 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"I finally took the time to take a few shots of this old homeplace
There is nothing like a place with open space
that I see every time we go to Mary's Uncle Jim's house
It always catches my eye I said to my spouse
Just a quick touch of saturation in a bold chase"

Now it's a proper Limerick.
10-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
What a lovely Limerick, indeed. Thank you so much. According to my spouse, the former owner of the house here - the late Danny Corcoran - gained notoriety in the 1970s by digging a bunch of graves on his property.
10-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the first image the road is such a strong feature it lead me initially right out of the frame and I didn't notice the house at first and had to go back and look for it. The house being along the horizontal middle line also causes it to be missed when scanning the image, I would have put it higher or lower in the frame.

With the second image with I think I would have wanted it higher in the frame. and by higher I mean a lot higher but I don't think that would have been easy to do given the first image that provides the location of the road. I don't know what way the wind was blowing but if it was moving the clear spot towards the house I would have waited ready to meter and snap when the house became fully illuminated with more of the foreground dark. That would have really made the house the star of the image.

In both cases the house is fairly small in the frame which can cause it to get lost in the image so you need to place it somewhere that makes it easy to find, highlight it, or lead the viewer to it. I think this location has a lot of potential for a good picture. I could probably spend 30 minutes to an hour shooting it different ways to try and solve the problem.