Original Poster
Hahaha, nice one. Let’s have a galah club 🤣

10-04-2019, 06:48 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcel K Quote
Let’s have a galah club ��
I'd be all for that. I think they are a really cute bird.
10-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great shot! Is that a different variety, or juvenile?
Thanks. It's a juvenile.

I didn't know that there were any races of galahs, but my books say that there are three. It gets confusing though. Morecombe says that the three are: Cacatua roseicapilla assimilis (WA and central Australia), albiceps (southern and most of eastern Australia) and rosiecapilla (tropical Australia). ABG (which is more authoritative and more up to date) also says three, but says that the nominate race is the WA one and the tropical race is kuhli. At least they agree about albiceps (our ones).

Morecombe says that the tropical race has a red eye ring, deep pink body and very pale crown and very pale grey rump and tail. ABG says narrow crest, red orbital skin
Morecombe says that the WA race has a grey or white eye-ring and the grey on wing and tail tips may be darker. ABG says broad crest, blue-grey orbital skin and pink cheeks contrasting with paler hindneck.
According to ABG, albiceps (southern and most of eastern Australia) has a distinct whitish cap and pink orbital skin.

Here’s another one (same camera and lens @ 1/400 f/5.6 iso200).For this one taken in Denham, WA, I had (lots) more time sitting under a shady tree while a small flock of galahs were chomping on the leaves above ��.I like the backlighting, but maybe I cropped it to tightly?
Nice capture. Backlighting is good. Yes, like @PJ1 , I would prefer a little more space where the bird is looking.

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Well, if we're all going to have a go, this is probably my best. It's from 2013 and taken on a K-x with a Sigma 50-500 (Bigma):
1/180, f16, 320 ISO. Not the settings you'd use now Craig? But hey it works really well.

Hahaha, nice one. Let’s have a galah club ��
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
'd be all for that. I think they are a really cute bird.
So do I. Some of my favourites.

More here: Parrots | Flickr

Last edited by Des; 10-04-2019 at 02:50 PM.
10-04-2019, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
1/180, f16, 320 ISO. Not the settings you'd use now Craig? But hey it works really well.
Hell, it seems I even threw in the flash! What was I doing?

I only got the one shot so it was probably only there for a moment.

10-04-2019, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Thanks. It's a juvenile.

I didn't know that there were any races of galahs, but my books say that there are three. It gets confusing though. Morecombe says that the three are: Cacatua roseicapilla assimilis (WA and central Australia), albiceps (southern and most of eastern Australia) and rosiecapilla (tropical Australia). ABG (which is more authoritative and more up to date) also says three, but says that the nominate race is the WA one and the tropical race is kuhli. At least they agree about albiceps (our ones).

Morecombe says that the tropical race has a red eye ring, deep pink body and very pale crown and very pale grey rump and tail. ABG says narrow crest, red orbital skin
Morecombe says that the WA race has a grey or white eye-ring and the grey on wing and tail tips may be darker. ABG says broad crest, blue-grey orbital skin and pink cheeks contrasting with paler hindneck.
According to ABG, albiceps (southern and most of eastern Australia) has a distinct whitish cap and pink orbital skin.

Nice capture. Backlighting is good. Yes, like @PJ1 , I would prefer a little more space where the bird is looking.

So do I. Some of my favourites.

More here: Parrots | Flickr
Thanks Des, great series also on your flickr!
Regarding my backlit shot, turns out looking at the original, I did’t crop very much: I took it portrait and filled the frame 🙃 I did cut off the bottom and put the eye on one third of the right.
One of my approaches is to get as close as possible to fill the frame (without harrassing the bird/animal, evidently) since I ‘only’ have a 300mm lens (but a damn good one &#128578.
Not all parrots are as easily approachable as galahs and corellas, though. I have found 28s, black cockies and rainbow lorikeets much more challenging to capture.
10-05-2019, 01:21 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots!
I think the origin shot stands up really well. If I was being very fussy I might say exposure could be dropped slightly but really its fine as is.
10-05-2019, 04:40 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Great shots!
I think the origin shot stands up really well. If I was being very fussy I might say exposure could be dropped slightly but really its fine as is.
Thanks! Yes, maybe my monitor is set a bit dimly. I do check (and correct) for blown highlights. Guess I should bring down the exposure and lift the shadows a bit.