Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2019, 06:07 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sunset walk in the forest
Lens: Sigma DC 17-50mm 2.8 EX HSM Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: Norway ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F7.1 

For those who know, the K-7 is more or less unusable at 800 iso, so i was surprised when i saw that it actually wasn't too bad.
No tripod or fancy stuff. Just learning the camera against a tree to reduce motion blur.

Its not great but I think of this image more as a reference to how far i can push the K-7 in low light. Going back to redo this next year at the same time with a tripod and hopefully the new aps-c flagship.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
10-06-2019, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice, looks so inviting. perhaps a little contrast to make the trees a little darker.

Last edited by foxandcrow; 10-06-2019 at 06:56 AM.
10-06-2019, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dan.a.nesheim Quote
Going back to redo this next year at the same time with a tripod and hopefully the new aps-c flagship.

These woodland scenes can be absolutely gorgeous. Morning light is already quite nice, but do also try misty or even foggy conditions. Some years back, I shot a K-7 too, and I remember that camera was capable of considerable magic, particularly at lower ISOs (less than about 1600). The higher you're getting in the ISO department, the more critical it gets to nail the exposure, of course. Bracketing helps a lot with that, sometimes HDR too.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-06-2019 at 11:02 AM.
10-06-2019, 01:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes mist and fog are the best conditions for forest photography i think.
Though with some serious limitations compared to modern standars, the K-7 still produce cometitive images when selective of conditions to shoot in.

10-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Lovely. The misty light is perfect.
10-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Lovely. The misty light is perfect.
Thank you.
10-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks like a magical place to shoot with lots of good images just waiting to be discovered. I don't know if it would be possible to pull up the shadows some without there being a lot of noise in them but they just feel a bit too dark. I struggle with images like this and one thing I will try is to shoot lower as it looks like this was shot standing up. So maybe kneel down or even lay on the ground to see if that give the wow factor.

10-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I don't know if it would be possible to pull up the shadows some without there being a lot of noise
Unfortunately not. This is where the K-7 meets its limits. Already pulled it to the max without ruining the image.

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
it looks like this was shot standing up
Almost. Its shot handheld leaning against a tree at about 1m height to get it stabilized. Focusing on getting the path all the way through the image.
I'll return next year with new camera and a tripod, then try both same and lower angle in various conditions.
10-09-2019, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

For those who know, the K-7 is more or less unusable at 800 iso, so i was surprised when i saw that it actually wasn't too bad.
No tripod or fancy stuff. Just learning the camera against a tree to reduce motion blur.

Its not great but I think of this image more as a reference to how far i can push the K-7 in low light. Going back to redo this next year at the same time with a tripod and hopefully the new aps-c flagship.
I really like the colours and the story you're telling, the path meandering towards the light. Nice capture and the high iso doesn't disturb at all.
10-10-2019, 12:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Very pleasing forest photo! That harsh lighting spot really cathes my eyes and the path and the background leads ther also. The trees gives a nice frame and good context. I like the contrast!
10-23-2019, 12:54 AM   #11

Great light and composition
10-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #12

Very atmospheric, can't really see anything wrong with this.
10-27-2019, 11:28 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only needs a forest nymph wandering along the path.
10-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #14

Beautiful location! Love the look of it, am thinking maybe a bit of a vignette to darken the edges and draw more attention to the path would be nice here.
11-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #15

good feel