Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2019, 10:16 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Dandelion clock
Lens: 28 - 90 Sigma aspherical Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: My house ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F14 

Spotted this dandelion clock when I was walking the dog this morning, although at that point the feathery white bits were still tightly wrapped so it looked like a set of spears sticking out of a central hub. The image is a results of focus stacking, it hasn't worked perfectly (if you look closely at the area around the 4 o'clock position and zoom in it looks like a really bad watercolour picture) but it taught me a few things.

Over to you now, what do you reckon?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-06-2019, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
vtn

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice
10-07-2019, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not zooming in. It's a very nice image.
10-07-2019, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a bad effort at all, and unable to zoom in, I would have had a hard time to even notice the stacking artefacts. Which makes me wonder, however, if among your stacking candidates there wouldn't have been a single frame that would look just as nice, despite (or perhaps even for) its shallower DOF.

10-07-2019, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like these kind of images and I think you executed it pretty well. I wouldn't have noticed the issue you mentioned if it hadn't been pointed out. However I guess it was a good lesson in focus stacking that more images is probably better.
10-07-2019, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
Looks good and no coments on the focus. All the green spots on the bottom half might be a problem if you print this, but generally this works fine as is.
10-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback folks, I reckon the focus stacking issues were around one or two frames where either a breath of air or a vibration caused a couple of the seeds to move slightly, I need to be more careful in future and not rush things.

I think this was a total of 28 images, I'd kept the DoF shallower than I would normally to try and get the shutter speed up.

10-07-2019, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice - I would call it dandelion fan though
10-09-2019, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The stacking artifacts aren't apparent to me (sitting behind a pretty good and big screen) and I like it a lot. Congratulations on a nice image and overcoming the technical challenges.
10-13-2019, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Spotted this dandelion clock when I was walking the dog this morning, although at that point the feathery white bits were still tightly wrapped so it looked like a set of spears sticking out of a central hub. The image is a results of focus stacking, it hasn't worked perfectly (if you look closely at the area around the 4 o'clock position and zoom in it looks like a really bad watercolour picture) but it taught me a few things.

Underexposing really brought out the delicate tones and textures, Liney!
10-14-2019, 01:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Underexposing really brought out the delicate tones and textures, Liney!
Thank you sir, much appreciated. In the interest of me learning stuff, can you clarify the bit about underexposing please? Genuine question, I always look at these images when I take them and think, "that looks about right to me". Putting more light on the subject never seems to add anything, so would this image need a bit more exposure?

I know it may be subjective, maybe I'm just not a "brighter" guy....
10-14-2019, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, the scene is underexposed - the background is black.

But if it was properly exposed, the dandelion would be three stops or so overexposed, the highlights would be blown.

10-15-2019, 01:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, the scene is underexposed - the background is black.

But if it was properly exposed, the dandelion would be three stops or so overexposed, the highlights would be blown.
Actually the black background is a piece of black foam I use, the image was taken indoors after I picked the dandelion from my neighbours front lawn. To have taken it in situ would have meant lying on the pavement with the traffic rushing by....

I can see what you mean now, but I wanted to get the details on the white fronds (the background would have been a light brown rock otherwise}.
10-29-2019, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #14

always a favorite for me. soft and fluffy. beautiful capture.
10-30-2019, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually the black background is a piece of black foam I use
until here I thought that's a thing you take with you to provide a proper background in nature The black background really is really well suited for the shot!

I especially like the state in which this is, I've never seen them like that before. And I also learned that you can call that thing a clock; in german we rather tend to call it the equivalent of blowball

When I took pictures of those outside, I only realized at home that I had overexposed them and totally blown out some parts. Nice to be able to see all those details.

28 shots you say? Seems like a lot at first, but the result is totally worth it!