a tripod

or time lapse photography

or low level camera positioning

or high level camera positioning

10-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This shot seems to clamor for a clever caption, but of course I can't think of one right now. The fact that the post is maybe 1/4th into the frame instead of 1/3rd doesn't bother me. The 'rule' of thirds is really only a suggestion anyway. The post is surveying its grassy domain. The green of the grass looks quite saturated. Normally I'm not a fan of over-saturated colors, but I really like it here. Maybe it's not over-saturated, maybe it actually looked like that. Anyway, I like it. What is the post thinking? "Waiting for sunset so I can do my thing."
10-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
light post? so try in the dark?
10-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Maybe it's not over-saturated, maybe it actually looked like that.
Even though we are well into fall at this point the grass is super green as it just doesn't stop raining. This was actually taken after a yet another day of rain when it was starting to clear some just before sunset. I basically had ideal conditions for super saturated colors.
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
light post? so try in the dark?
That is a plan for some day when I get some time. I've gotten a bunch of ideas for shooting this post again and I would probably try a selective color conversion to get that orange sodium vapor light it gives off and just own that awful color of light.

10-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

You can go even closer, the metal reflections are really interesting to me. Abstract metal + blurry alien landscape, why not? haha thanks for sharing!
12-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Curious what people think of this shot of a light post for illuminating a path at one of the local parks. Another shot where I was trying to take a otherwise boring and mundane object and see if I could make an interesting nice shot out of it. Also any critiques on how to improve it would be welcome. Attachment 467317
Looks like a tall skinny dalek.
Exterminate Exterminate.
I think it look better if the concrete was cropped out and extremely shallow depth of field.
12-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

It's a great image and others have identified some interesting points, but how far were you from the post? The reason I ask is that there is a wonderful sheen to the metal cap on the top of the post, and while I can't see it too well I don't know if there is a reflection of you in the cap. Sheeting from a greater distance with the same f stop would open the DoF up a bit as well so there are pro's and con's.

On the subject of reflection it would be interesting to see how different sky conditions or light direction would impact the image?

12-07-2019, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
how far were you from the post?
Probably in the 8 to 10 foot range. I was on the other side of the walking path from it.

On the subject of reflection it would be interesting to see how different sky conditions or light direction would impact the image?
I was looking at this image the other day on my compter and was actually thinking the same thing. There is some reflection from the trees and sunset happening behind it.
12-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldPentaxFan Quote
t's actually gotten me to think about doing something along these lines myself.

I've let other things (read work) distract me from going out to relax with my camera and between a recent outing at a local art festival that went really well, and now this idea, I'm feeling a glimmer of inspiration coming on.

Thank you for helping to fan the flame of an idea with this post.
After looking at this image again, sorry delayed response as I actually missed your comment previously as it was the last on the first page, I really want to go back and actually spend an entire day shooting this post and when weather and time permits I will be doing some night and winter shots as well. I'm glad it inspired you and I've found that usually when I am out I like try and take some shots of otherwise unintersting things to see if I can make something happen. Sticks, posts, cables, etc. are often the subjects of such shots and sometimes they work and others they don't but I've found it is a good way to try and expand my abilities. I was initially inspired by The Perfect Zebra Photo article with an idea of trying to make mundane objects interesting.
12-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, since this was brought to the forefront from October, I like it, but I'd shoot it without the concrete base in the photo.
12-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Have you considered adorning the post with something? Maybe a brightly coloured scarf or a hat? As it is the christmas season perhaps some tinsel? I guess the effect I was thinking about was having something unusual and unexpected in the scene that drew your attention.

But not dog poop, that's pretty expected everywhere there is grass........
12-12-2019, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Have you considered adorning the post with something? Maybe a brightly coloured scarf or a hat? As it is the christmas season perhaps some tinsel?
One of the previous suggestions was to get some action figures like spiderman or batman and the like and have them interacting with the post. I might borrow some of the kids' lego mini figures when I go out for the day to shoot it.