Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not the "Share this Post" meme
Lens: SMC A 50mm f/1.2 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Whitetail Woods Regional Park ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F1.8 

Curious what people think of this shot of a light post for illuminating a path at one of the local parks. Another shot where I was trying to take a otherwise boring and mundane object and see if I could make an interesting nice shot out of it. Also any critiques on how to improve it would be welcome. Name:  Post1200.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  116.6 KB

10-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good shot, but perhaps placing the pole on the one third line (see rule of thirds) would have worked better.

Also, did you take any shots at f/1.2? It would be interesting to see the extra stop of bokeh goodness.
10-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #3

Im also interested to hear what others think about this. I like it, but it's a difficult object to make interesting.
I think you balanced color and contrast nicely.
10-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Also, did you take any shots at f/1.2? It would be interesting to see the extra stop of bokeh goodness.
No mostly because I didn't think that would have provided enough depth to keep the post sharp. That park isn't far so I can always go back and shoot it again to try out some different things.

10-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice bokeh and colours, to be sure, and somehow it communicates 'park', or ever so slightly 'test shot', but there is little else to sustain the viewer's interest IMHO. I envision a reshoot where you bring some props, like a Spiderman figurine plus some of our hero's various nemeses, and let them fight it out around that Gotham City skyscraper. (Not your original intention, I suspect, but I'm quite serious about this. Kinda like an outdoor tabletop shoot.)

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-08-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Elaboration
10-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
I envision a reshoot where you bring some props, like a Spiderman figurine plus some of our hero's various nemeses, and let them fight it out around that Gotham City skyscraper. (Not your original intention, I suspect, but I'm quite serious about this. Kinda like an outdoor tabletop shoot.)
That might be fun. I'll have to do something like that the next time I am down there. However I would not use this post as there is a bee or wasp nest in it as when I got closer I could hear them buzzing inside of it.

somehow it communicates 'park', or ever so slightly 'test shot', but there is little else to sustain the viewer's interest IMHO
Well it is a just a post in a park but the fact that it at least had some interest for a bit I would take to mean that I was probably successful in my endeavor.
10-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
That might be fun. I'll have to do something like that the next time I am down there. However I would not use this post as there is a bee or wasp nest in it as when I got closer I could hear them buzzing inside of it.

Uh-oh! That could turn the odds dramatically even against Spiderman! Otherwise, I'm glad you didn't take offence with my somewhat eccentric idea. There's nothing wrong with your shot at all. And I'm a total noob about the Gotham City stuff. But if I was in a situation where I had to bring a scene like that to life somehow, that tabletop approach might actually be a creative avenue I would explore.

10-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Uh-oh! That could turn the odds dramatically even against Spiderman! Otherwise, I'm glad you didn't take offence with my somewhat eccentric idea. There's nothing wrong with your shot at all. And I'm a total noob about the Gotham City stuff. But if I was in a situation where I had to bring a scene like that to life somehow, that tabletop approach might actually be a creative avenue I would explore.
I'm always willing to try things. Just like in this case where I was trying to take a nice picture of something completely boring and mundane, a post in a park. Now that I think about it I should probably go back and shoot it when it is dark or getting dark as it is a light post with a sodium vapor lamp in it maybe try a composite of different exposures so that I can get some other details from the image at night.
10-09-2019, 04:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Something else that will liven up this kind of shot in a park is using a polarizer.
10-09-2019, 05:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Now that I think about it I should probably go back and shoot it when it is dark or getting dark as it is a light post with a sodium vapor lamp in it maybe try a composite of different exposures so that I can get some other details from the image at night.
Sounds like a plan - the light might also attract some insect nightlife for you. A few flying bugs twirling around it could add some interest.

Pairing up a day photo with a night photo to contrast the changes might be interesting too. Throw in dusk and dawn and you've got four image compilation under different lighting showing a 'day in the life' of a simple post.
10-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I do like the colour and contrast but ultimately find the photo uninteresting to look at.

Last edited by veato; 10-09-2019 at 05:31 AM. Reason: typo
10-09-2019, 05:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Something else that will liven up this kind of shot in a park is using a polarizer.
I actually don't have one for that lens or really anything that takes a filter larger than 49mm. I should probably get a 77mm one as I have step down rings from that to all of my other lenses.
10-09-2019, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given the subject it does work and could have lots of other possibilities.

If you're up for a longer term project, consider going back routinely to get different perspectives from the same camera position.

You've already suggested a night time shot, maybe one in a rainstorm (good use of the weather resistance of a Pentax), or a winter shot with it covered in snow, or a winter shot with snow at night and lit.

Could be an interesting project.
10-09-2019, 07:10 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am starting to lean more towards doing this sort of thing. I would probably learn a lot in the process and would be something fun to try.
10-09-2019, 07:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's actually gotten me to think about doing something along these lines myself.

I've let other things (read work) distract me from going out to relax with my camera and between a recent outing at a local art festival that went really well, and now this idea, I'm feeling a glimmer of inspiration coming on.

Thank you for helping to fan the flame of an idea with this post.