Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Old Ramsey Mill (B&W conversion)
Lens: S-M-C 17mm Fisheye Takumar Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Hasting, MN ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F11 

Looking for thoughts and a critique of this shot. It is of the ruins of the old Ramsey mill in Hastings, MN

10-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
dramatic!
10-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm. I'm in two minds about this shot. On the one hand, I dig what you tried to achieve with that conversion, and it does yield a dramatic result. On the other, I find myself wondering why the sky has to be pitch-black, and if leaving a little shadow and mid-tone detail would have really hurt. It would have likely helped to retain a little more foreground interest in the bare branches?
10-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
On the other, I find myself wondering why the sky has to be pitch-black,
the sky was just clear blue no clouds. It was a cold January day so there was nothing in the sky. so I figured why not have some fun and go with something that wasn't some middle gray, I tried white but that didn't do much for me. The extremely low humidity, low dust of winter skies here means often there is nothing there of interest. On days when it isn't ultra cold (I think this day was around -10F which wasn't too bad) it will often just be a featureless overcast.

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
It would have likely helped to retain a little more foreground interest in the bare branches?
I've thought about that too and would probably do a shot like that next winter if I go down to that spot again.

10-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I like it a lot because of the drama and contrast. The only thing that gets me some (second) thoughts is the branch. I'm not sure how it works in the picture. Maybe integrating it a bit more, and not just having it enter the frame, works better.
10-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #6

I think this looks good in BW. The shadow of the trees on the wall is what i find interesting.
10-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sweet photo! I find the small stack at the edge of frame a little distracting, it's also the brightest part of the image; but I'm not sure a crop would be ideal way to fix it.

10-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Looking for thoughts and a critique of this shot. It is of the ruins of the old Ramsey mill in Hastings, MN
Interesting angle!
10-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #9

I like how this feels abstract, the branch reaching for the walls is really nice. Quite like this one.
10-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't mind the black sky, and the branch and its shadow do a lot to make the photo even more interesting.
10-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like it a lot. Presumably you were using built in filter to darken sky - and I actually think it looks great. Like the stone detail and tree shadows.
10-28-2019, 06:46 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like this one. I am ok with the branch in the sky. Perhaps it could be lighter. What bothers me a little are the twigs poking in on the lower left. I would take them out and the diagonal one in the bottom left corner and see how that looks. Just my thoughts.
10-29-2019, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I like it a lot. Presumably you were using built in filter to darken sky - and I actually think it looks great. Like the stone detail and tree shadows.
Nope, it was a typical super cold clear Minnesota winter day so the sky was a nice uniform rich blue, when I did the B&W conversion I just pulled the luminance of blue down all the way in lightroom. Since there wasn't any other color even close to blue anywhere else in the image it worked like a charm.
10-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

B&W and dramatic perspective works really good on your photo.
10-30-2019, 05:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Wonderful contrasted BW!!! I would do a similar shot, yeah, maybe a little more space on the top of the frame, or, maybe not haha thanks for sharing!