Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2019, 02:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sunset with branch
Lens: 18-135 Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Grenen, Denmark ISO: 100 

I liked the contrast with the branch lying on the beach in the retreating water. I was zoomed in at 53 mm, should I have framed it differently? A wider framw would have included more blues in the sky, but then the branch would be less prominent as well. I'm not sure so all comments are welcome.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
10-11-2019, 04:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think you could have gone closer to the branch and maybe used a slightly longer exposure while the water was retreating from the branch. Another possibility would have been to exclude the branch fully from the shot, because in my opinion it is a little too small in the frame to add something substancial to the image.
My biggest concern on the other hand is easily fixed, your horizon is not straight
10-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #3

I like it as is. The horizon have few interesting details, so the branch help the viewer rest treir eyes on something.

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
should I have framed it differently?
That depends. If you like it, then no, this is good.
Personally i would have moved the branch and sun over to the right to show more of the beach.
10-12-2019, 12:48 AM   #4

As Othar wrote i also would straighten up the horizon, and then crop and play around with the rule of thirds.

10-14-2019, 12:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Many thanks and apologies for the horizon. I should have spotted that myself.
10-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As others have said, I'd get closer and ensure focus was on the stick itself (as it seems more of the intended subject). A out of focus sunset can sometimes just enhance the background even more.
10-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think most of what I have has been covered already. I would have pushed in more, probably trying to get the stick and the sunset along the same vertical line in the rule of thirds with the sun at that upper crossing poitnt and the stick at the lower one. For me I like things on the right so that is where I would have ended up placing them. Getting the horizon straightened would also help. Also since you could zoom in a fair amount I would have also seen about backing up a bit more to be out near the longest end of that lens. It would give you more to play with for emphasizing the stick and playing with perspective distortion.

10-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
Banned

I liked the contrast with the branch lying on the beach in the retreating water. I was zoomed in at 53 mm, should I have framed it differently? A wider framw would have included more blues in the sky, but then the branch would be less prominent as well. I'm not sure so all comments are welcome.
I love the sunlight and the shadows. You got some good sunlight reflection on the water.
10-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As several have mentioned the "Rule of Thirds", which can be very useful, I refer to it as the "Tool of Thirds" as my photographic motto is "More Tools, Less Rules".
10-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If the branch was the subject, it's too small, I only noticed it because you mentioned it. That said, I like your shot anyway, it respects the rule of thirds, and the colors are good.
10-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

If you could go back and re-take the shot, I'd stay where you are and I'd zoom in slightly to crop out the sky a little bit. I'd leave the sand section as is to capture the reflection. And I'd straighten the horizon, of course.

Since you can't go back to that moment in time, I'd just crop out the top by doing a more widescreen crop. If you cut that cloud on top, the entire scene comes to life I think - after fixing the horizon of course.
10-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Firstly its a nice shot already.

However could try and crop in a bit from top and right, as I think the sky looks better to the left and it all feels a bit to middle centric at the moment.
10-26-2019, 05:28 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very serene. Good colors
10-27-2019, 12:50 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think your framing is alright. Might have gone closer to the stick. And then I would straighten up the water line - it's falling to the left.
10-27-2019, 12:52 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree with horizon correction and composition.