Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2019, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Damselfly photobomb
Lens: Sigma 300mm f/4 APO Macro Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Apple Valley, MN ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 

This was a happy surprise image I captured a couple of months back and while I like it, it does seem like there are 2 competing subjects and am looking for other's thoughts on that and on the image in general. I had intended to just capture the flower but the damselfly landed a fraction of a second before I pressed the shutter button and had already committed to the pressing.

Last edited by MossyRocks; 10-14-2019 at 07:33 PM. Reason: looked like the linking didn't work
10-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It might be my browser but I can't see the image
10-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Me neither.
10-14-2019, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by dan.a.nesheim Quote
Me neither.
I'm not sure what happened with the image. Even when I tried to view it in the album it didn't show anything but there was the tiny thumbnail to click on. I deleted it and re-uploaded it and it appears to be working now so give it a the critique it deserves.

10-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really nice capture!

Love the vibrancy and the perfect, accidental, placement of the damsel fly.
10-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldPentaxFan Quote
Love the vibrancy
Golden hour shooting with the sun low under the clouds after one of the many days of rain I've had this year here so everything outside has been super vibrant when shooting it seems

QuoteOriginally posted by OldPentaxFan Quote
and the perfect, accidental, placement of the damsel fly.
As Bob Ross would say a "Happy Accident".
10-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Golden hour shooting with the sun low under the clouds after one of the many days of rain I've had this year here so everything outside has been super vibrant when shooting it seems

As Bob Ross would say a "Happy Accident".
Both combining for an excellent image!

10-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
This was a happy surprise image I captured a couple of months back and while I like it, it does seem like there are 2 competing subjects and am looking for other's thoughts on that and on the image in general. I had intended to just capture the flower but the damselfly landed a fraction of a second before I pressed the shutter button and had already committed to the pressing.
I don't think there are competing subjects. For me, this is an insect photo; much of the flower is out of focus which is okay.

The green bud or other plant cut off at the left edge is a tiny distraction. Maybe crop a little off the left edge of the photo.

The tiny dark speck on the central flower is another distraction. It's a little below and left of center. It interrupts the smooth yellow and maybe clone out the speck.
10-15-2019, 07:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A very nice picture of a damselfly (so I agree wth DeadJohn about the primary subject) and I also find the dark speck distracting. Then again, how do we feel about cloning such things out? is that OK to do? The colours are great.
10-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
A very nice picture of a damselfly (so I agree wth DeadJohn about the primary subject) and I also find the dark speck distracting. Then again, how do we feel about cloning such things out? is that OK to do? The colours are great.
My $0.02 since I suggested removing the speck: IMO it's okay to do for "artistic" usage (as I think the OP intended), but not for "scientific" or "journalism" purposes.

Edit, but be open about your edits. I hate when people post images with the moon and claim that's how the scene looked, yet the moon is in front of background clouds, or seeing a full moon next to the sunset (full moon can only occur 180 degrees away from the sun) . It's more a problem on the big social media sites than it is on PF.
10-15-2019, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I clone things out when I feel they distract from the intent of my image. To remove this spec would fall in that category. It is a great image none the less and that damsel fly landing there is a wonderful catch!
10-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Very nice.
10-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with all the comments, removing the speck would improve the already top-notch image.
10-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It works pretty well. I don’t have an issue with competing subjects.
10-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
My $0.02 since I suggested removing the speck: IMO it's okay to do for "artistic" usage (as I think the OP intended), but not for "scientific" or "journalism" purposes
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
I clone things out when I feel they distract from the intent of my image. To remove this spec would fall in that category.
I feel the same and will do so with other blemishes. I didn't do it here, or really with any images I'm seeking a critique on as I want that type of feedback.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I hate when people post images with the moon and claim that's how the scene looked, yet the moon is in front of background clouds, or seeing a full moon next to the sunset (full moon can only occur 180 degrees away from the sun) . It's more a problem on the big social media sites than it is on PF.
I view that the same way. The contrived images where it is physically impossible for it to occur but everyone fawns over them. In those situations never dissect the image on the site as the cognitive dissonance of those who think it is the greatest capture ever will just try to tear you to pieces so if you want to stir the pot it can be fun. My personal favorites are the ones with the foreground shot with an ultrawide lens near sunset or dusk that have a huge full moon high in the sky where the moon was shot with a 200-300mm telephoto. I will however create composite images, especially some of the nightscape images I've shot but there it is because one will need to stack things in the night sky to get the detail but that results in the foreground being blurred as you end up taking 10s of minutes worth of shots. Then I take a separate stack of images for the foreground to get the exposure and noise down to where I would like it. Finally I will merge the sky shot with the foreground shot for the final image but it is representative of what it looked like with things placed correctly and correctly sized. The human eye has a fantastic dynamic range and it is difficult to capture it in trying situations.