Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-14-2019, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

abstract tubas

I took this photo at a college football game and I really like the colors in the reflections on the tubas. I just wanted to get some feedback on what I could have done to improve the image. Any constructive criticism will be welcomed.

Attached Images

10-14-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I also love the colours in the reflections. I think, though, that one thing I would have liked to see perhaps could only be done at the time of shooting (unless this is a cropped photo?). I would have preferred the symmetry of including either more of the bell of the tuba on the left (top left corner), or maybe more of the s-curve (bottom right corner) so that there would be even more of a repeating pattern. Of course, at a football game and shot “on the fly” that may not have been possible. That being said, since the colours were what caught your eye, they need to “pop”. Maybe increase the saturation just a touch more, without making it totally over the top.

AH
10-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I think the saturation has been turned up too much. It looks okay in most of the reflections on the tuba bell. It becomes objectionable (to me, this is opinion) in the red hat near lower right, and in the fringing around highlights.

You used "abstract" in your title. To make this photo more of an abstract, making it less obvious what's causing the reflections, try cropping tighter. Hide the faces of the foreground musicians. You could try a crop from the the upper-right or upper-left of your original. I think the upper-right will work best because the people are reflected in an arc pattern, as opposed to the other corner that's more linear.
10-15-2019, 01:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would have liked it more abstract as well, taking a different perspective or cropping the image more, but that may not have been possible. The colours are nice as they are IMHO.

10-15-2019, 04:53 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A great capture. I like it but also agree with previous comments especially to go totally abstract by cropping out the players heads, just concentrating on the warped reflections.
10-15-2019, 05:01 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like something you might find on one of the Beatles later album covers
10-16-2019, 04:35 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mhrish Quote
I took this photo at a college football game and I really like the colors in the reflections on the tubas. I just wanted to get some feedback on what I could have done to improve the image. Any constructive criticism will be welcomed.
At first glance I thought - what a mess! But I must admit, it is an explosion of colors. And like it.
You could maybe try and cut away most of the heads, - I think cut away the lowest third and see what might come out of that?

10-16-2019, 04:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is really fun- all the colors and shapes work very well for me.
10-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #9

nice reflections !
10-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think it's stunning as it is. The saturation works well, too.
10-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #11

Very disorienting, for that I like it!
10-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Am I the only person who finds these over saturated colors unappealing?
10-28-2019, 01:38 AM   #13
Pam

Love it!
10-28-2019, 04:05 PM   #14

The saturation is a bit distracting here as it is making the colours look synthetic. I'd dial it down a bit personally.
10-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I imagine this shot very well in Black and white, bw and metals are a great combo, careful to not pull up the shadows too much, looks distracting on the borders; thanks for sharing!