Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2019, 06:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Black background
Camera: K100D Photo Location: KZN 

I'm somehow not able to get the focus point where I want it.....

10-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Black background

Not doing something right....

Last edited by Shelly; 10-31-2019 at 12:40 AM.
10-16-2019, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Change your metering type to spot metering. Especially for macro work, spot metering works better than pattern metering.
10-16-2019, 07:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have autofocus set to spot, or something larger? Also, the 18-55mm lens does, in my opinion, always takes a "soft" image. A pretty image, even so.

10-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
the 18-55mm lens does, in my opinion, always takes a "soft" image.
IMO, it depends on whiich 18-55mm lens. The AL ll works great and does take sharp images as does the WR version.
10-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How large is this flower? Is the lens at its minimum focusing distance? It looks back focused.

The Autofocus on the k100d is not the greatest as light levels drop. For non-moving stuff, you might try manual focus, or temporarily turning on extra lights to help the AF. If you're not using one already, I'd also suggest a tripod and making sure the subject is as still as possible (at 1/45s, any wind will be your enemy).
10-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would rotate the entire picture anti clockwise 90 degrees for a better effect

10-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote

... I'd also suggest a tripod and making sure the subject is as still as possible (at 1/45s, any wind will be your enemy).
Yes, I was going to comment on the shutter speed, until I noticed in the exif data that flash was used - but is that a normal shutter speed for the K100D with flash?
10-17-2019, 12:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Change your metering type to spot metering. Especially for macro work, spot metering works better than pattern metering.
Hi Photolady, I do think it was positioned to spot, but maybe a slight wind.....Eish!

---------- Post added 17-10-19 at 09:03 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
How large is this flower? Is the lens at its minimum focusing distance? It looks back focused.

The Autofocus on the k100d is not the greatest as light levels drop. For non-moving stuff, you might try manual focus, or temporarily turning on extra lights to help the AF. If you're not using one already, I'd also suggest a tripod and making sure the subject is as still as possible (at 1/45s, any wind will be your enemy).
Thanks indeed BrianR, at the moment my tripod is used for my husbands ultra violet light perhaps I should start saving for a better lens.......and another tripod!

---------- Post added 17-10-19 at 09:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
I would rotate the entire picture anti clockwise 90 degrees for a better effect
Thanks manishved, hadn't thought of that, will try this in future before posting.
10-17-2019, 12:07 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not bad as is. Although I would take out two small white dots in lower left.
10-17-2019, 12:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I was going to comment on the shutter speed, until I noticed in the exif data that flash was used - but is that a normal shutter speed for the K100D with flash?
Eish K2 to K50.........at the moment I have no idea what normal is! Sometimes my flash pops up when I don't it to. It seems I'm a slow learner....

---------- Post added 17-10-19 at 09:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Not bad as is. Although I would take out two small white dots in lower left.
Bruce Clark, Thanks for that, I see them but its some part of the background I thought to leave in so one could see its in the garden. However, I do see now its a bit distracting.
10-17-2019, 12:18 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you do not have a manual for your K100D, you can download a copy from:

Pentax K100D - Downloads - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

This will be a PDF file. You can read it on your computer, or even search for specific subjects in the manual by using Ctrl/F on your keyboard
10-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I like the composition, color, and use of empty space.

Lack of sharpness is an issue. All the important parts look soft. Was this handheld and autofocus? You might need to adjust fine focus in the camera menu (assuming the K100D has that feature) if autofocus consistently misses focus, or use manual focus. Consider a tripod if the location allows.

EXIF says f5.6. Consider stopping down to get more sharpness and depth of field. Try f8 or f11. You can even try f16, but you may notice increased depth of field but reduced sharpness due to diffraction. Reduced aperture will force a slower shutter speed (and more risk of wind moving the flowers) or higher ISO (and more noise, but with your brightly lit subject and black background the noise shouldn't become an issue).
10-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Setting aside the missed focus, it looks back focused to me, I generally like this image and a reshoot would have some potential for a really nice image. In looking at the EXIF I probably would have stepped back some and zoomed in a bit more since you were at 28mm as you may have been at or near the minimum focusing distance when shooting and framing this at 28mm. As others have mentioned I would have upped the f-stop to f/8 or maybe even f/16 to get some more depth (I struggle with doing this). Also the EXIF says that the flash was used which can give that nice effect of a black background which works here. Since it was the popup flash and you were fairly close I would have dropped the ISO to 100 from 800 and let the flash go full power. I do like the flash and linger method as it gives a nice sharp image and the linger will take away a good amount of the harshness if done long enough so I maybe would have done 1/20s shutter speed and leaned on the image stabilization to keep the darker things steady. The only other thing I would change is putting the flower further up in the frame as it just seems like there is too much black at the top.
10-17-2019, 11:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you do not have a manual for your K100D, you can download a copy from:

Pentax K100D - Downloads - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

This will be a PDF file. You can read it on your computer, or even search for specific subjects in the manual by using Ctrl/F on your keyboard
Thank you K2 to K50 I do have a manual.......I read it over and over and the pages are falling out already, but until i learn the meaning of certain terms / words I would rather have someone show me the ropes. So waiting for my daughter to visit who has done numerous photography courses to explain. In the meantime I shoot and hope for the best! HOWEVER, still want help from this forum.........because you guys have so much more experience.

---------- Post added 18-10-19 at 08:14 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I like the composition, color, and use of empty space.

Lack of sharpness is an issue. All the important parts look soft. Was this handheld and autofocus? You might need to adjust fine focus in the camera menu (assuming the K100D has that feature) if autofocus consistently misses focus, or use manual focus. Consider a tripod if the location allows.

EXIF says f5.6. Consider stopping down to get more sharpness and depth of field. Try f8 or f11. You can even try f16, but you may notice increased depth of field but reduced sharpness due to diffraction. Reduced aperture will force a slower shutter speed (and more risk of wind moving the flowers) or higher ISO (and more noise, but with your brightly lit subject and black background the noise shouldn't become an issue).
Dear John.........Than you for your impute. You know Its beginning to make sense. Yesturday I tried and got a better shot. Will shortly load some more images.

---------- Post added 18-10-19 at 08:27 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Setting aside the missed focus, it looks back focused to me, I generally like this image and a reshoot would have some potential for a really nice image. In looking at the EXIF I probably would have stepped back some and zoomed in a bit more since you were at 28mm as you may have been at or near the minimum focusing distance when shooting and framing this at 28mm. As others have mentioned I would have upped the f-stop to f/8 or maybe even f/16 to get some more depth (I struggle with doing this). Also the EXIF says that the flash was used which can give that nice effect of a black background which works here. Since it was the popup flash and you were fairly close I would have dropped the ISO to 100 from 800 and let the flash go full power. I do like the flash and linger method as it gives a nice sharp image and the linger will take away a good amount of the harshness if done long enough so I maybe would have done 1/20s shutter speed and leaned on the image stabilization to keep the darker things steady. The only other thing I would change is putting the flower further up in the frame as it just seems like there is too much black at the top.
Hello MossyRocks. Thank you for the info. I hear you, but what does back focus mean and how does that come about. Yes I think I was too close to the flower and I had it on auto focus. Now getting better shots with manual focus. So if I'm dropping the ISO to 100 from 800 what does that mean and does the flash automatically go to full power? Please don't think me stupid, just not trained.....As much as I read the manual its seems to be written for people who know the ins and outs of a camera. Really I'm still a babe in the woods. But I can hear you say.....Oh darn it