Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2019, 04:04 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shelly Quote
I hear you, but what does back focus mean and how does that come about.
Back focus - the camera focuses behind where you wanted it to.
Front focus - the camera focuses in front of where you wanted it to.

In this case there is a portion of the green leaf behind the flower that looks to be in focus. So I'm not sure if you were just too close to the subject so that it couldn't achieve proper focus and ended up back focusing or if your lens needs the Auto focus fine adjustment. If it is the latter you will use a positive number to move the focus forward. Here is a handy article on fixing front and back focus that might help.

So if I'm dropping the ISO to 100 from 800 what does that mean and does the flash automatically go to full power?
Typically yes. The little popup flash is one that is controlled by the camera which guesses what level it should be at. Since you were fairly close to the subject at ISO 800 and with a fairly open aperture it likely was using a lower power level. By requiring a higher amount of exposure (lower ISO and/or higher f-stop) the flash would have fired at a higher power. Now depending on your settings it my not of had enough power to provide the right exposure but it would be firing at full power.

Please don't think me stupid, just not trained.....As much as I read the manual its seems to be written for people who know the ins and outs of a camera. Really I'm still a babe in the woods.
Everyone here had to start out at one point and didn't know much. Maybe the took a class or 7 in school, or did one at the camera shop, or read a ton of articles online but at one point they were all beginners. You are just one of today's lucky 10,000.

10-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Back focus - the camera focuses behind where you wanted it to.
Front focus - the camera focuses in front of where you wanted it to.

In this case there is a portion of the green leaf behind the flower that looks to be in focus. So I'm not sure if you were just too close to the subject so that it couldn't achieve proper focus and ended up back focusing or if your lens needs the Auto focus fine adjustment. If it is the latter you will use a positive number to move the focus forward. Here is a handy article on fixing front and back focus that might help.

Typically yes. The little popup flash is one that is controlled by the camera which guesses what level it should be at. Since you were fairly close to the subject at ISO 800 and with a fairly open aperture it likely was using a lower power level. By requiring a higher amount of exposure (lower ISO and/or higher f-stop) the flash would have fired at a higher power. Now depending on your settings it my not of had enough power to provide the right exposure but it would be firing at full power.

Everyone here had to start out at one point and didn't know much. Maybe the took a class or 7 in school, or did one at the camera shop, or read a ton of articles online but at one point they were all beginners. You are just one of today's lucky 10,000.
I am a lucky one............Thank you so much for the info, I really do appreciate it. Thank you too for the article on front and back focus.
10-18-2019, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a lucky one............Thank you so much for the info, I really do appreciate it. Thank you too for the article on front and back focus.
Happy to help. I'm still learning too and am happy to give back to others.
10-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #19
Forum Member

For what it's worth, I like the horizontal orientation of the image. It has almost a flow to it.

10-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi Photolady, I do think it was positioned to spot, but maybe a slight wind.....Eish!
If you check EXIF it says Pattern metering, not spot.
10-19-2019, 01:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lambic Quote
For what it's worth, I like the horizontal orientation of the image. It has almost a flow to it.
Lambic thanks for that. I did change it and move it around but came back to the original. Prefer it that way.

---------- Post added 19-10-19 at 10:16 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
If you check EXIF it says Pattern metering, not spot.
Photolady. I've done so many different settings, just wondering if I should go back to factory settings and start again. Quite frankly I don't know my a-- from my elbow right now!
10-19-2019, 02:15 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lambic thanks for that. I did change it and move it around but came back to the original. Prefer it that way.

---------- Post added 19-10-19 at 10:16 ----------

Photolady. I've done so many different settings, just wondering if I should go back to factory settings and start again. Quite frankly I don't know my a-- from my elbow right now!
I would be inclined to suggest that for the moment, you might do better, for a few weeks, to set your camera on auto, leaving shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings to the camera, and concentrate on just the picture-taking. Also, assuming you have auto-focus lens, letting the camera do the focusing, but remembering that all lenses have their own minimum distance they need from whatever it is you are photographing.

As you seem to be very much a beginner, I am going to risk offending you by asking if you know, or do not know, how pressing the shutter button very gently, and only half the way down, that this will activate autofocus, and that when you can see through the viewfinder that autofocus has worked, you can then press the button all the way down to take the photograph? Just asking, to clarify exactly where you are at.

You asked what it would mean to drop the ISO down from 800 to 100. The ISO setting controls how sensitive to light the sensor in your camera will be. A high setting means the camera is able to operate the shutter at a higher speed, meaning there is a better chance of cutting down how much effect movement, either of your hands, or of your subject, will have on the sharpness or blurriness of your photograph, But too high an ISO can make for a grainy "noisy" image.

But while ISO controls sensitivity to light, aperture (measured in F stops eg F1.4. F4.0, F8 etc) controls how much light gets through to the sensor - because aperture is about how wide, or narrow, an opening is set to allow the light through.

But Aperture also affects the issue of depth of field, which is about how different parts of the photograph - different parts in terms of nearer or further away from the camera - will be in focus.

Shutter speed is how quickly the the "blind" in the camera opens and closes.

The big problem with all of this is - ALL of these three things - ISO sensitivity, aperture, and shutter speed - affect each other!!

Have a read of this:
ISO, Aperture & Shutter Speed | A Cheat Sheet For Beginners

One thing I should say before finishing: your photograph came very close to being a VERY pretty image. If you had got the focus right for it, it would have been a beautiful image, so keep at it, and let's see how you go!!

10-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
I would be inclined to suggest that for the moment, you might do better, for a few weeks, to set your camera on auto, leaving shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings to the camera, and concentrate on just the picture-taking. Also, assuming you have auto-focus lens, letting the camera do the focusing, but remembering that all lenses have their own minimum distance they need from whatever it is you are photographing.

As you seem to be very much a beginner, I am going to risk offending you by asking if you know, or do not know, how pressing the shutter button very gently, and only half the way down, that this will activate autofocus, and that when you can see through the viewfinder that autofocus has worked, you can then press the button all the way down to take the photograph? Just asking, to clarify exactly where you are at.

You asked what it would mean to drop the ISO down from 800 to 100. The ISO setting controls how sensitive to light the sensor in your camera will be. A high setting means the camera is able to operate the shutter at a higher speed, meaning there is a better chance of cutting down how much effect movement, either of your hands, or of your subject, will have on the sharpness or blurriness of your photograph, But too high an ISO can make for a grainy "noisy" image.

But while ISO controls sensitivity to light, aperture (measured in F stops eg F1.4. F4.0, F8 etc) controls how much light gets through to the sensor - because aperture is about how wide, or narrow, an opening is set to allow the light through.

But Aperture also affects the issue of depth of field, which is about how different parts of the photograph - different parts in terms of nearer or further away from the camera - will be in focus.

Shutter speed is how quickly the the "blind" in the camera opens and closes.

The big problem with all of this is - ALL of these three things - ISO sensitivity, aperture, and shutter speed - affect each other!!

Have a read of this:
ISO, Aperture & Shutter Speed | A Cheat Sheet For Beginners

One thing I should say before finishing: your photograph came very close to being a VERY pretty image. If you had got the focus right for it, it would have been a beautiful image, so keep at it, and let's see how you go!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Yes I am aware of holding it down for the focus, but do I shoot when it blinks or when it disappears. It doesn't stay on....and its so quick to disappear. Thanks also for the cheat sheet...... you are a star!
10-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes I am aware of holding it down for the focus, but do I shoot when it blinks or when it disappears. It doesn't stay on....and its so quick to disappear.
If focus is correct the little green hexagon in the view finder will stay on the blink is the red AF point in the frame when it gets focus but that never stays on. If it is flashing after auto focuses finishes doing its thing then it didn't get focus, if it turns off it means you moved or the object moved and you don't have focus anymore. When you are close to the subject slight movements will throw the focus off, being farther away gives a deeper depth of field so slight movements should still keep the focus within the depth of field.
10-22-2019, 12:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
If focus is correct the little green hexagon in the view finder will stay on the blink is the red AF point in the frame when it gets focus but that never stays on. If it is flashing after auto focuses finishes doing its thing then it didn't get focus, if it turns off it means you moved or the object moved and you don't have focus anymore. When you are close to the subject slight movements will throw the focus off, being farther away gives a deeper depth of field so slight movements should still keep the focus within the depth of field.
Hello MossyRocks. Thank you again for this. I have being putting my brain mass into action (at long last) and have realized exactly what you mentioned. Since chatting to all ya all, I have put my camera back to factory settings in auto focus and am beginning to slowly work my way forward. With all the info I have received I have copied and pasted much of it for reference and will be posting as I get on. I now have a album called Imperfect and well see from that how I progress. Much and many thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated. Its become very cold wet and windy here but tomorrow temperatures are going to soar again.............Have a great day.
10-23-2019, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #26

Not doing something right....
Soft colors, maybe a little out of focus
10-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

PM (private message) sent with apology included. Please read.
10-29-2019, 06:07 PM   #28

Not doing something right....
the colors and details are beautiful.
10-29-2019, 07:39 PM   #29

Photos: Gallery
Great start and looks like you are well on the way! Lots of good advice on here - I am learning along with you. I also tend to get really close and "miss" focus. Taking a bunch of shots helps get one good one, or putting on a tripod. Backing up a bit makes it easier and gives more depth of field without changing any of the ISO/f stop/shutter settings. Then use photo software to crop to the view you like. Keep posting and sharing - won't be long before you are helping others! Cheers!
10-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well I read you got some tips to fix the focus, but in the other hand, I love the light, colors and composition of this photograph, very poetic, I won't miss the focus too much hehe thanks for sharing!