Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Trees
Lens: HD DA 70 Camera: K3ii ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 3s Aperture: F13.5 

I posted a version of this photo earlier in another thread, then updated it with slight changes: I dodged/burned some of the central tree trucks to give them more volume, the light was coming from the left but it was so overcast it was essentially flat. I'd like your thoughts if I executed those edits ok or if they're obvious, or any other comments in general

10-17-2019, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I posted a version of this photo earlier in another thread, then updated it with slight changes: I dodged/burned some of the central tree trucks to give them more volume, the light was coming from the left but it was so overcast it was essentially flat. I'd like your thoughts if I executed those edits ok or if they're obvious, or any other comments in general
This is a very nice shot of trees at first fall
10-17-2019, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I like the side framing using foreground trees, and the way trees at the 2 sides are close, trees at the center are far away.

Colors and light are good.

My least favorite part of the photo is the skinny tree just left of center, because it's a little too close. It lessens the effect of trees trailing into the distance.
10-17-2019, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a forester, I'm drawn to any mention of trees! It's nicely framed with the foreground trunks, and I think because it was overcast you didn't get glaring overexposure on the leaves.

10-17-2019, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a nice photo, though it lacks a point of interest so the eye just kind of roves over the photo. I've taken lots of photos like this over the years, and it's always hard to capture the feel of being there; this seems to do a good job of it. I think your edit is solid at this point, especially considering what it sounds like you had to work with.
10-17-2019, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On your question about the edits I think they are fine and don't stand out as being over done or noticable.

On the composition I'm really not sure, not because it is bad but because I've taken pictures like this and am not sure how to judge them or what makes a good or bad scene. I'd love for someone with more knowledge in this area to drop in. I have wanted to take an ultrawide out into a replanted pine forest where you get the straight rows of pines the go on for seemingly forever as I can understand and process that image mentally on why it would work or not but this type of forest scene just stumps me.
10-23-2019, 12:50 AM   #7

Nice composition, beautiful colors

10-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #8
Forum Member

Whenever I see a fantastic landscape of a pine forest scene framed and placed on a wall, I'm left wondering to take that photograph worthy of the wall. Many feature an amazing moment of lighting, in others a particular tree in the scene might be particularly attention grabbing over the others.
10-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #9

I really like the framing that the tree trunks provide on the edges. I actually don't really mind the lighting of the image. Great job.
10-26-2019, 10:58 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The bright light on the leaves make this shot.
10-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #11

Lovely frame out of the trees on either sides
10-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I like the framing and composition. Colors make me calm.
10-30-2019, 05:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It's a wonderfully framed frame, haha! Looks like you did a great PP! Nice work!
10-30-2019, 10:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I'm guessing a Pine tree stand , lots nice lumber there
11-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
nice forest shot