Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2019, 11:47 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sholom Quote
You can also do similar masking in your Topaz Studio, which has several masking tools available.
Thank you, Sholom for your input and for pointing out that I can find masking in my Topaz. Unfortunately, I don't find the Topz forum as informative as this site
and it has been a struggle to find out the information that I was looking for.

H

---------- Post added 10-18-19 at 11:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Unfortunately Affinity Photo is about as complex as photoshop, but worth the effort to learn. You can try getting the Affinity Photo workbook as I've heard it is a great reference for those learning the program.
Much luck to you!
Thank you aitrus3 for letting me know how complex Affinity is. At least I now know what I am up against.

10-19-2019, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I may not be great at editing or photography but I do try to be helpful when I can on things that I have some idea about. It may not be a good idea in the end but I at least am trying.
Aitrus3, that is what it is all about sharing and helping others as it is so frustrating when something is not working out and days can be spent fumbling and getting nowhere. I am always grateful to those that give up their time to respond, so thank you. Every little bit helps.
10-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heather Iles Quote
Aitrus3, that is what it is all about sharing and helping others as it is so frustrating when something is not working out and days can be spent fumbling and getting nowhere. I am always grateful to those that give up their time to respond, so thank you. Every little bit helps.

I think you quoted mossyrocks there.
If you ever have Affinity Photo questions, don't hesitate to ask! My email is gregorybmurray@gmail.com.
I'm not a pro either, but I've been using Lightroom for 10 years and Affinity Photo since it came out in Beta over 4 years ago.
10-20-2019, 12:44 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
I think you quoted mossyrocks there.
If you ever have Affinity Photo questions, don't hesitate to ask! My email is gregorybmurray@gmail.com.
I'm not a pro either, but I've been using Lightroom for 10 years and Affinity Photo since it came out in Beta over 4 years ago.
Very well spotted Aitrus3, as my reply was meant for mossyrock.

Thanks for your e-mail and no doubt I will be picking your brains in due course. I will send you an e-mail.

10-22-2019, 07:43 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Below is a super fast and ugly retouch using Topaz Detail. Initially I opened the file using Irfanview then started the plugin Detail. Next is to choose Shadow Relief III which basically pulls the shadow on the entire image. I adjusted the shadow slider next to make the difference very obvious but you should be choosing just enough to match the exposure you want to raise with the ideal exposure. Next is to go over the mask and highlight the parts you would like to be raised. Basically the mask will remove the effect on the areas you've marked but that is ok because once you marked all the parts you can then tick the invert and it will reverse the mask effect. You will need a lot of time though to accurately mark which parts you want to raise the shadows. Here I just did a quick and dirty job but I think if you really want to make it clean youl'll need to put up that effort. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
10-23-2019, 01:41 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ghosteclipse Quote
Below is a super fast and ugly retouch using Topaz Detail. Initially I opened the file using Irfanview then started the plugin Detail. Next is to choose Shadow Relief III which basically pulls the shadow on the entire image. I adjusted the shadow slider next to make the difference very obvious but you should be choosing just enough to match the exposure you want to raise with the ideal exposure. Next is to go over the mask and highlight the parts you would like to be raised. Basically the mask will remove the effect on the areas you've marked but that is ok because once you marked all the parts you can then tick the invert and it will reverse the mask effect. You will need a lot of time though to accurately mark which parts you want to raise the shadows. Here I just did a quick and dirty job but I think if you really want to make it clean youl'll need to put up that effort. Hope this helps.
Hi Ghosteclipse

Thanks for your time in demonstrating the different processing techniques.

I think my problem is trying and getting it right in the camera first and not to make as many mistakes as I have done. It is a shame as it is not an area that I will be going back to in a hurry.

Perhaps someone would point out how I could have avoided the mistakes that I made in the first place. One thing that I have realized that is lacking in my photography is checking the photo before walking away which I obviously didn't do in this photo.

Much obliged,

H
10-23-2019, 04:41 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not much of a landscape photographer but I do think shooting landscapes photos are at most at the mercy of what nature shows. Probably the only thing lacking is time and patience waiting for that perfect shot. I remember landscape photographers waiting for hours for that moment.
10-23-2019, 04:56 AM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Remember there are also adjustment brushes in LR and PS where you can apply localised changes such as this.

10-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heather Iles Quote
Thank you, Sholom for your input and for pointing out that I can find masking in my Topaz. Unfortunately, I don't find the Topz forum as informative as this site
and it has been a struggle to find out the information that I was looking for.

H

---------- Post added 10-18-19 at 11:49 PM ----------

Thank you aitrus3 for letting me know how complex Affinity is. At least I now know what I am up against.
There are some excellent videos Topaz has done on their older products but you are correct that they have been slow at coming out with videos for the latest products, like Studio 2. Do take a look at the help files and FAQs though, and you will generally get very sound advice on Topaz and other tools right here at Pentaxforums too. Don't hesitate to keep asking.
10-24-2019, 12:06 AM   #25

Original Poster
There are some excellent videos Topaz has done on their older products but you are correct that they have been slow at coming out with videos for the latest products, like Studio 2. Do take a look at the help files and FAQs though, and you will generally get very sound advice on Topaz and other tools right here at Pentaxforums too. Don't hesitate to keep asking.
Thank you Sholom for the information on Topaz and the Pentaxforums.

My problem is isolating one part of the photo in Topaz and working on it. Have you noticed how they only do the easy stuff/things when they do their videos? Even with Topaz Webinar they revert to Photoshop and you are left thinking what is the point? I thought the idea of Studio 2 was to use Topaz as a stand-alone program. Perhaps I should send Topaz an e-mail.

Thanks for your help.

H
10-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #26
Forum Member

Topaz Studio 2 is not as capable as full Photoshop, but a lot of Photoshop's additional capabilities are not all that relevant to photography. That said, Studio 2 seems to be focused more on making dramatic changes in photographs than in doing simple editing easily. I find that I still use Studio 1 more than 2 even though I have both and several of Topaz's other products, both AI-based and earlier. One of the reasons that the Topaz videos keep referencing Photoshop is that before Studio 1 came out, Photoshop was the easiest way to utilize most of Topaz's earlier products, so don't be put off by feeling a need for Photoshop. I believe Topaz Studio was introduced specifically so that folks without Photoshop could still make full use of their products. The photo problem you posed is not a simple one and even though I developed my first print back around 1969 and got my first DSLR in 2011, I still often feel like a novice in the fine points of digital photo editing. And much like in film photography, there is still nothing like starting with a well-exposed and well-lit digital image that needs only minor work. I completely understand your frustration with Studio 2 and I wonder myself what is going on at Topaz, but do pick some images, make copies, and just experiment on the copies with Studio 2. It really can do most of what most photographs need in post-processing and has some unique capabilities as well. And please use this forum as well as the Topaz forum and Topaz support for answers to questions that arise.
10-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #27

Photos: Gallery
Topaz Studio 2 is not as capable as full Photoshop, but a lot of Photoshop's additional capabilities are not all that relevant to photography. That said, Studio 2 seems to be focused more on making dramatic changes in photographs than in doing simple editing easily. I find that I still use Studio 1 more than 2 even though I have both and several of Topaz's other products, both AI-based and earlier. One of the reasons that the Topaz videos keep referencing Photoshop is that before Studio 1 came out, Photoshop was the easiest way to utilize most of Topaz's earlier products, so don't be put off by feeling a need for Photoshop. I believe Topaz Studio was introduced specifically so that folks without Photoshop could still make full use of their products. The photo problem you posed is not a simple one and even though I developed my first print back around 1969 and got my first DSLR in 2011, I still often feel like a novice in the fine points of digital photo editing. And much like in film photography, there is still nothing like starting with a well-exposed and well-lit digital image that needs only minor work. I completely understand your frustration with Studio 2 and I wonder myself what is going on at Topaz, but do pick some images, make copies, and just experiment on the copies with Studio 2. It really can do most of what most photographs need in post-processing and has some unique capabilities as well. And please use this forum as well as the Topaz forum and Topaz support for answers to questions that arise.
I've found as a whole most of the Topaz suite is suited towards dramatic changes, it took me a lot of trial and error to figure out how to use it to make smaller adjustments correctly within their filters.
11-10-2019, 03:52 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaladran Quote
I've found as a whole most of the Topaz suite is suited towards dramatic changes, it took me a lot of trial and error to figure out how to use it to make smaller adjustments correctly within their filters.
I am sorry that I missed your reply and you confirm what I think about Topaz that it is suited towards more dramatic changes that look unreal and there doesn't seem to be many videos on the finer adjustments. Also, on their Forum, the members seem to be more about posting their wonderful work but there isn't a section for helping members unless you send Topaz a ticket requesting help and then it is ignored. If I am not looking in the right place perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your response.

---------- Post added 11-10-19 at 04:04 PM ----------

Thanks for your response which I only just picked up. I realize now the mistakes I made when I took that photo and hopefully I have learned from my mistakes. In essence, I have learned the hard way and I will put in practice some or most of your suggestions. At least you understand my frustration. It is not easy asking for help as it makes me feel as if I am the only person with the problem and I should be at the back of the class as everyone else strides ahead.

Thank you for a sympathetic ear.

Heather
11-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #29
Forum Member

No problem. There actually is a section of the Topaz forum where you can ask questions but the questions are often from more advanced users. Nonetheless I think it is fair for you to post there. The easiest way to get to it is to click on the box on the forum home page that says "all categories" and select "Topaz Products" from the drop-down list. I did notice that Topaz and others have posted a few videos on Studio 2. This one:
is oriented more towards drastic changes but it may still be worth a watch for how to get around in the program. Note that some of the techniques shown can easily be dialed back to avoid the "processed" look. Perhaps more towards your specific need is this one:
He talks about masking at about 5min 30 sec into the video. The gentleman in the next video is using Studio 2 from within Photoshop, but almost everything he is showing when he is actually in Studio 2 (at about 10 min. into the video) applies using Studio 2 directly:
His approach is a bit different from the previous video but both are valid techniques for doing localized adjustments in Studio 2. Sometimes though images just don't want to cooperate and the best thing is to keep shooting. And please feel free to keep the Topaz discussion going here at Pentax Forums.
11-12-2019, 12:52 AM   #30

Original Poster
No problem. There actually is a section of the Topaz forum where you can ask questions but the questions are often from more advanced users. Nonetheless I think it is fair for you to post there. The easiest way to get to it is to click on the box on the forum home page that says "all categories" and select "Topaz Products" from the drop-down list. I did notice that Topaz and others have posted a few videos on Studio 2. This one:
Creative Editing in Topaz Studio 2 with Hazel Meredith - YouTube
is oriented more towards drastic changes but it may still be worth a watch for how to get around in the program. Note that some of the techniques shown can easily be dialed back to avoid the "processed" look. Perhaps more towards your specific need is this one:
Brush Masking in Topaz Studio 2 - YouTube
He talks about masking at about 5min 30 sec into the video. The gentleman in the next video is using Studio 2 from within Photoshop, but almost everything he is showing when he is actually in Studio 2 (at about 10 min. into the video) applies using Studio 2 directly:
Topaz Studio 2 & Photoshop Tutorial - Dodging and Burning - YouTube
His approach is a bit different from the previous video but both are valid techniques for doing localized adjustments in Studio 2. Sometimes though images just don't want to cooperate and the best thing is to keep shooting. And please feel free to keep the Topaz discussion going here at Pentax Forums.
Thanks Sholom for your efforts in helping me. I have looked at Topaz and have seen some of those videos but only the ones by Topaz. I will try and find the others.

I have watched a few Topaz Webinars by Hazel and others but their photos are staged and Hazel uses a lot of her presets which really don't help with specific issues in photos.

There are a lot of Videos on Photoshop and Lightroom by lots of different people on Youtube so hopefully, there will eventually be some on Topaz 2.

No doubt I will pop up here on this forum from time to time with questions on Topaz.

Much obliged to you.

Heather