Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-17-2019, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leaving lake Hiawatha
Lens: S-M-C 17mm fisheye takumar Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Pipeston National Monument ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F11 

Looking for a critique of this image of the outflow from Lake Hiawatha .

In general I like this image and have some ideas of what I would want to do differently the next time I am down there but looking for other's feedback to see if they feel the same. There were reasons why I didn't shoot it the way I wanted as well.

10-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It kind of lacks a real focus, so it's hard to judge the composition. The rapids are off center so they don't really qualify. On the other hand, I know the country around there, and this really represents the atmosphere of the region.
10-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a nice shot - colour, subject matter etc. But I think I would prefer to see more of the rapids with an angled shot that looks partly into the rapids and back into the lake - sort of with the rapids quartering from the centre right edge to centre bottom edge, if that makes sense. But as you said, there were reasons why you didn't shoot it some other way. Maybe your access was restricted.
10-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
It kind of lacks a real focus, so it's hard to judge the composition.
Well that sounds like a judgement of the composition there and a worthy point. I do want to get better at landscapes so not a problem hearing that. What I wanted for the foreground subject was the rock in the stream nearest the camera but the water was too high to get it better positioned. Since you've been there and are somewhat familiar with the area the bridge in front of the falls was actually underwater (upstream from the lake) as its been a very rainy wet year so for a prairie brook this was a downright raging torrent.

10-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Well that sounds like a judgement of the composition there and a worthy point. I do want to get better at landscapes so not a problem hearing that. What I wanted for the foreground subject was the rock in the stream nearest the camera but the water was too high to get it better positioned. Since you've been there and are somewhat familiar with the area the bridge in front of the falls was actually underwater (upstream from the lake) as its been a very rainy wet year so for a prairie brook this was a downright raging torrent.
Fair enough, haha.

It looked like the water was high in the photo, for sure. My family says the fields seem too wet to bring the crops in, gonna be a bad year for farmers I suspect.
10-18-2019, 03:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
But I think I would prefer to see more of the rapids with an angled shot that looks partly into the rapids and back into the lake - sort of with the rapids quartering from the centre right edge to centre bottom edge, if that makes sense.
This was one of the ways I had thought of composing the image but was unable to gt a bit down stream due to the high water. That was a big constraint on how I could shoot things that day.

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
My family says the fields seem too wet to bring the crops in, gonna be a bad year for farmers I suspect.
It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. there is a lot of cor up and a lot of beans still in the fields.
10-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I like the processing and the colors a lot. It seems like a gorgeous scene to be in.

The horizon is centered but I guess that is the thing that ends up happening with fisheyes. I personally would have like to see a step back and a bit more of the water and a bit less of the sky, but that would make the horizon a bit curved...

10-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #8
Banned

In general I like this image and have some ideas of what I would want to do differently the next time I am down there but looking for other's feedback to see if they feel the same. There were reasons why I didn't shoot it the way I wanted as well.
This is beautiful photography. It could not be clearer.
10-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree the rock in the foreground is what you wanted the viewer to focus on. Since you couldn't move closer, why not crop the image so the rock is in the lower lefthand corner, eliminating the dark water? Attractive subjects in corners are powerful compositional tools. Even if the water was wadeable, you would have struggled to do so with the fisheye. Cropping solves the problem.
10-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
Banned

Consensus is more white water.
10-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see a lot of geometry in the photo. The cloud in the upper-left to the rapids in the lower-right, the rock on the left and the tree on the right mostly mirror each other horizontally and vertically, the centered horizon line (such as it is)... was this all intentional?

If I were in your shoes I'd be going back there multiple times, because there are clearly photos to be unlocked by the photographer.
10-21-2019, 03:43 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
If I were in your shoes I'd be going back there multiple times, because there are clearly photos to be unlocked by the photographer.
There are lots of places I would like to go back to. The biggest problem I have is time, with work, kids, and regular life getting in the way.
10-23-2019, 12:49 AM   #13

Very nice colors, maybe longer exposure time for the water ?
10-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #14

I would either try to freeze the water completely, using the highest possible shutter speed, or the lowest possible, to get the water flowing.

Additionall I would have focused more on the water, rather than on the background.
10-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by TLiivo Quote
I would either try to freeze the water completely, using the highest possible shutter speed, or the lowest possible, to get the water flowing.

Additionall I would have focused more on the water, rather than on the background.
I think freezing the water here would make it more dynamic, if the water is freely flowing the white water won't draw the eye as much.