Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Doggo enjoying autumn sunshine
Lens: Lumix 20mm f1.7 Camera: Panasonic GX7 Photo Location: Vancouver, BC ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F4 

Hi all,

I'm aware that this isn't from a Pentax, but I don't have any of those on this computer. I'm critiquing others, and feel that I should allow them to return the critique. It's my first upload, so please let me know if i do something incorrectly.

Downtown Vancouver park, taken in September. Converted from RAW with Luminar 3 (as a trial, to see if I should invest). Doggo is a moyen Poodle, his name is Bosco. He is a good boy. I'm aware that the leash doesn't add too much to the shot, but... he likes to chase cars, so I stand by my priorities.

Went for a walk with a friend to introduce Bosco to their dog. Had a couple mini-photoshoots along the way.

Different from my normal photo workflow, so any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX7  Photo 
10-23-2019, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice posing
10-24-2019, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel like his head has a nice little sharp pop that separates him from the blurred background, and that really helps not losing him in between the leaves that seem to be quite close to his fur colour. I don't know the laws regarding this, but deattaching the lead from his harness would have helped the picture a little.

The only thing a little distracting are the lamp posts with the signs and the ways behind them, but the blurred buildings are nice enough to look at that it does not matter that much.
10-25-2019, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I feel like his head has a nice little sharp pop that separates him from the blurred background, and that really helps not losing him in between the leaves that seem to be quite close to his fur colour. I don't know the laws regarding this, but deattaching the lead from his harness would have helped the picture a little.

The only thing a little distracting are the lamp posts with the signs and the ways behind them, but the blurred buildings are nice enough to look at that it does not matter that much.
So, for sure, the law is not on my side. He also likes to chase trucks, so the leash is for his safety. He's getting better at it, but his friend is about 20 feet away, and i don't think his desire to be a good boy will continue to overpower his desire to sniff other dogs. I did try to find red leaves, but I'll have to ask the city to replant their trees lol

Thank you about the lamp posts, i'll try to keep that in mind. I also like the buildings, and may have paid more attention to them and not the lamp posts.

10-25-2019, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpottyReputation Quote
Hi all,

I'm aware that this isn't from a Pentax, but I don't have any of those on this computer. I'm critiquing others, and feel that I should allow them to return the critique. It's my first upload, so please let me know if i do something incorrectly.

Downtown Vancouver park, taken in September. Converted from RAW with Luminar 3 (as a trial, to see if I should invest). Doggo is a moyen Poodle, his name is Bosco. He is a good boy. I'm aware that the leash doesn't add too much to the shot, but... he likes to chase cars, so I stand by my priorities.

Went for a walk with a friend to introduce Bosco to their dog. Had a couple mini-photoshoots along the way.

Different from my normal photo workflow, so any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony
Your dog is a natural! Great light is adorning the entire scene. I'd want to try to get the dog to pop out more somehow but what a great model.
10-25-2019, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niiicedave Quote
Your dog is a natural! Great light is adorning the entire scene. I'd want to try to get the dog to pop out more somehow but what a great model.
@niiicedave, do you have any suggestions for more pop? Better background colour choices?

He is a very good boy (mostly), you can expect more pictures of him in the future
10-25-2019, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

@niiicedave, do you have any suggestions for more pop? Better background colour choices?

He is a very good boy (mostly), you can expect more pictures of him in the future
Your dog presents a great opportunity to play with depth-of-field using manual camera settings: ISO low, shutter speed fast, and aperture wide (lowest numbers) will narrow the "depth-of-field," the area that's in focus. Or, you could move father back and zoom in - portraiture style.

10-27-2019, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #8

Hi all,

Thanks,

Anthony
Looks very nice, color and exposure wise. But as others have said, it'd look so much better at a wider aperture setting. Instead of F4, you could have gone F1.7 which would have made the dog a lot more separated from the background. And additionally would have most likely produced a more pronounced vignette around the frame, which this also needs.
10-28-2019, 07:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niiicedave Quote
Your dog presents a great opportunity to play with depth-of-field using manual camera settings: ISO low, shutter speed fast, and aperture wide (lowest numbers) will narrow the "depth-of-field," the area that's in focus. Or, you could move father back and zoom in - portraiture style.
Thank you for the feedback. I am (and apparently always have been) lacking a good portrait lens for any of my kits, so that's an area I need to spend some time on. I've got some test pictures of him at the f1.7 - they have good separation, but i will need to work on his "stay" to pull a portrait off lol.

---------- Post added 10-28-19 at 07:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TLiivo Quote
Looks very nice, color and exposure wise. But as others have said, it'd look so much better at a wider aperture setting. Instead of F4, you could have gone F1.7 which would have made the dog a lot more separated from the background. And additionally would have most likely produced a more pronounced vignette around the frame, which this also needs.
Thank you for the feedback. I did add a slight vignette in software, but i can adjust that some more. The new software i'm trying handles vignetting (along with many other functions) differently, so I appreciate your insight.
10-28-2019, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #10

It's a nice pose here, I'd crop it down a bit more to be tigher on Bosco.
10-28-2019, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I like that I can feel the warmth of that sunshine, despite the warm colour of the dog. Thanks for sharing.
10-29-2019, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Good light, nice colors. Vertical lines make some distraction to my eye as they are not vertical or I shoot to many interiors and architecture
10-30-2019, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

It's wonderful that we can see the color of the eyes! Beautiful shot!

I think that the cord actually ads some interesting entrance to the main subject of the shot, the only think I see really distracting are the vertical lines behind, thanks for sharing!
10-30-2019, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

lovely pooch , miss our dog , our first fall without her
10-31-2019, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, taking into account the feedback i believe I can tackle in editing, I submit the following, more of a proof of concept, and less of a... whatever you call something with better editing...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX7  Photo 

Last edited by SpottyReputation; 10-31-2019 at 07:54 AM. Reason: inappropriate combination of posts...