Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Playing with lens flare
Lens: Sigma 24mm F2.8 AF Super Wide II Camera: Pentax K-5 IIs Photo Location: Indianapolis ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F4.5 

I'd like some CC on this.

I was playing with lens flare, trying to get something cool and I feel like I did. I feel like the shot even has a film-like quality to it. I can see how people would find the flare over the subject distracting, but I find it intriguing. Any thoughts?

K-5 IIs, Sigma 24mm F2.8 AF Super Wide II, ISO 400, 1/800 sec, f/4.5

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
10-23-2019, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like your idea of using the lens flare, but the SWII has really ugly lens flare.

Also, in this case the flare overpowers the subject, rather than complementing it.
10-24-2019, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the flare over the subject works fine here with him looking away, it adds to the mystery of the photo.
10-24-2019, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the overlapping little flares on his cap, but I find the ones below distracting because they are so bright and the one to the bottom of the frame is really big, so it draws my whole attention to it every time I look at the picture, instead of his face (which is turned away a little too much for my taste, but that can work as @Kozlok has said) or the direction he is looking in.

The axis of the flares lining up with the front of his body works, I think, but I would like it more if it was coming in diagonally from a corner of the frame and not cutting through him.

What you describe as film-like quality seems to be coming from the overall loss of contrast in the whole frame the flares are responsible for. If you like that, keep experimenting with different angles to get a flare pattern you like.

10-27-2019, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by aaronjamesgray Quote

I was playing with lens flare, trying to get something cool and I feel like I did. I feel like the shot even has a film-like quality to it. I can see how people would find the flare over the subject distracting, but I find it intriguing. Any thoughts?

While the flare looks interesting, the focus is a little off. If the subject was in focus, it would have more impact.
10-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #6

I must admit I am one of those that find the flare on the subject here distracting, if the flare was in front it would be in his sight line which would be better for me.
10-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice idea with the flare, but I do not like its position. And this crazy color of flare could be nice on some vintage subject.

10-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah it has some kind of orange tint, that makes it look a little vintage, I would play with the contrast and shadows/blacks to see if I can turn the subject into a silhouette, the flares are taking all the attention so you can play with that and forget about the rest, just a thought!

Thanks for sharing! =) Interesting shot!
10-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

you definitely have the film look , myself im not a fan of lens flare , i try to avid it at all cost , but then thats just me . that said if i had no choice to avoid it , i would have positioned myslef so as the lens flare travels in front of the subject , but again thats me
12-22-2019, 07:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Used to own and shoot the earlier manual version of that lens on film and remember its kinda atrocious proneness to flare and ghosting. (Coatings, I'm afraid, have never been one of Sigma's fortes, and they are not to this day.) That said, I'm not at all averse to experiments where you actually accentuate flare and/or ghosts to lend drama or atmosphere to an image or to just underscore the quality of the light. But I would try not to lose sight of my actual subject. If you want to give the viewer a chance to make sense of your image, it's not a good idea to send them guessing why you took that photo in the first place. If the viewer assumes that the guy with the cap is your subject, they will be disappointed because he's not even in focus. Also, compositionally, it would have been more effective to try and have the ghosts run diagonally through the frame and avoid cutting them off in awkward ways.
12-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I find such an image rather uneasy to look at. Sometimes I think "attractive" images are those where my eyes do not get stressed. This is not the case.