Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #1

Black and White
Lens: 50mm 1.7 A Camera: K1 Photo Location: Antwerp (belgium) 

Starting to get some experience in photography. But if i don't show it i can't get some criticism off course.
What do you / don't you like about them.

Last edited by Tomzohh; 05-01-2020 at 10:17 AM.
11-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Picture 1:
I am kind of drawn to the striplights in the background which are not in focus and not the in-focus lights on the sides, so maybe you could play around with the focus if you get there again.
That being said I like the picture as it is. Black and white is also a good decision in my opinion.

Picture 2:
I like the processing but it leaves something to be desired in my opinion. Your subjects are (besides beeing in the lower half) kinda in the centre of the picture but there are no leading lines that facilitate their position. Maybe play around with the framing a little bit.
Perhaps a lower shooting position would have been good too to get rid of the (for me) snapshot feeling of the image.
For me it might would have been a more appealing picture if there weren't any people in it and the architecture were the subject.
11-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #3

Hobbyist here with my 2 cents. I really like them. Well composed. The first one is very eerie. It draws one into wondering about what it is. Inside a garbage truck? Back innards of a vending machine? Inside a CATSCAN? Makes me want to know what it is because I feel like I have seen it before. Second is dreary. Looks chilly outside and the grey scene coming through the window adds to it. Here I’m wondering what is pulling them to that corner. Buying train tickets? At a vending machine? Must deliver choice of coffee or hot cocoa don’t you think? At an interactive screen getting a rental car? Perhaps it is an ATM? Pictures like that make great art especially in places where people are somewhat idle because it pulls them into thought.
11-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rexlawyer Quote
Hobbyist here with my 2 cents. I really like them. Well composed. The first one is very eerie. It draws one into wondering about what it is. Inside a garbage truck? Back innards of a vending machine? Inside a CATSCAN? Makes me want to know what it is because I feel like I have seen it before. Second is dreary. Looks chilly outside and the grey scene coming through the window adds to it. Here I’m wondering what is pulling them to that corner. Buying train tickets? At a vending machine? Must deliver choice of coffee or hot cocoa don’t you think? At an interactive screen getting a rental car? Perhaps it is an ATM? Pictures like that make great art especially in places where people are somewhat idle because it pulls them into thought.
The first shot is a stairway in the subways of Antwerp Belgium. The second one is indeed a vending machine at a railway station so your spot on with that theorie of yours. These were all taken on a workshop for streetphotography. For an rookie i'm pleased with these shots in the end.

11-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1st shot, I'd love to see the centre, more than the sides in focus. Otherwise it's strong.

Second shot I'd probably lower the frame to put their heads very near/on the top third but I wouldn't move them to the left or right. The frame of the window where it is, and the rock wall provide a nice frame and push your focus to the centre. I feel you'd lose that if you were to shift left or right. In any other situation, I'd say it's best to move them to one of the side thirds.
Nice job though far better than any of my first images!
11-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Banned

Don't understand it
11-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #7
Banned

very nice

11-24-2019, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 800rate Quote
Don't understand it
QuoteOriginally posted by 800rate Quote
very nice
make up your mind
11-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I like your B&W processing.
11-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

#1 if love to see a perspective shot of this stairway to understand it more. The shot you have works well. Different focus options might be interesting but this isn't objectionable as is.

#2 this shot to me focuses on the heavy industrial support as the subject in the right 1/3 of the frame. It stands tall and imposing and is unconcerned with the fleeting moments mere mortals will spend near it. To me the humans in this shot are the backdrop. I'd that isn't the intent then cropping off the rightmost two vertical lines of bolts and perhaps trimming away the partial windows would place the humans more as the focal point but still leave their relative smallness and the industrial setting intact.
11-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I judge #1 as abstract, so little I can say apart from liking it. Maybe it needs a tiny bit of levelling? Maybe that's just the top part that is not even though.

#2 I find less interesting. The shot is nice and it looks good in B&W but it is nothing special, IMHO. In the sense that it is not showing or telling me any story (and I like photographs that you can make up a story about). The angle doesn't really let you see what they are doing and that doesn't help (again, this is my personal preference). I would have tried to include a bit more (or less) of the window so that it didn't finish right when the frames start to curve. It's sort of right there and it bothers me for some reason. I'd also crop the bottom a bit so it starts right where the column starts.

I'm a beginner so take all of the above with a pinch of salt. I imagine I can probably be saying the exact opposite of what would be expected.
11-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by miguelfenoglio Quote
I judge #1 as abstract, so little I can say apart from liking it.
I'm 100% with you on this one. I found myself first looking for the focus, but then I noticed the pattern of lights and liked it without being concerned about sharpness.

#2 you got some nice repeating architectural patterns from the windows / window frames, the bolts on the girder, the floor tiles... and a nice couple of expressions on the faces of the persons. Some of the ingredients for a great street style photo. But I agree with others on the crop / composition, it seems a little too centered. And I think the scene is missing some "good" light (nothing you can do about that) or contrast. It seems to me that there are no blacks and no whites
11-29-2019, 09:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Image #1:
I like this one. It is abstract but has a nice symmetry and rhythm to it. My only complaint is that it seems a bit tilted either to the right or that the camera wasn't perfectly level so the perfect symmetry is almost but not quite right. I think it could be corrected in post processing with some auto level and slight cropping so not a big issue. On the whole I like this image but would have spent some time playing with different focuses and depths of field as has been suggested by others.

Image #2:
There are some pictures I have a hard time judging not because they are bad, great, or completely middle of the road but just because my mind really struggles with them. Pictures of people is one such category. I've taken tens of thousands of pictures and in that time I've only gotten 3 pictures of people that I thought were good. I can't tell why and keep trying to figure it out but just can't. So on this image I don't know what to think or what to offer.
12-01-2019, 04:04 AM   #14

Original Poster
Surprised by many positive comments on the first picture... I had no other choice on this one... The ceiling was a disaster in any perspective that i took. Also didn't took this one on a tripod as well, cause its forbidden over there to use one .

The second one was a challenge for handling the third rule. Didn't had an other option Had like 10 minutes to take this picture of people in a busy area. The metal frame was indeed colored in red and green so. Yet i found it more attractive on BW then in color.
12-05-2019, 07:26 PM   #15
Forum Member

I really do not have much to say about number one, but I think number two could be fairley strong. The main thing that bothers me is all the negative apace at the top. I think if you would crop it where the people's faces are about 1/3 down in the frame, it would really improve it.