Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 05:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Atelier
Lens: HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR (@36mm) Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: France ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 

I tend to not post-process my photos, so just getting started now. Thoughts? I'm keen to hear critique, both artistically/aesthetically and technically. Don't hold back! I really want to improve.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-12-2019, 05:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice shot!!
11-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #3

Very nice-looking old shed: colour and texture are wonderful. At first sight, it seems that the image would benefit from more pop. I find the framing a bit tight: there is not much space on three sides of the shed. There is a slight tilt to the right. The texture of the wood suggested that the image would also look very nice in B&W. I had a quick go using Lr and Siver Efex Pro.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-12-2019, 09:01 PM   #4

It is cool in B/W but I really like those washed out colors. For me there is noting interesting about the background. I’d crop it out but keep same ratios. I know, I’m saying a tighter crop in opposition to above.

11-13-2019, 02:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciated!

B&W: I did try it and liked it, but I wanted to try color for you guys to rip apart as I usually shoot B&W film so B&W is something I tend to do more often. But I agree, it is a good shot for B&W.

Color: I do like the punchier example, although I didn't want it to make it look too "fake". After all, it was a very cloudy day and I didn't want it to look like an HDR shot or something like that. A bit of decay is what I was going for, which matches the subject and I guess is what Rexlawyer liked about the washed out color. In any case might adjust just slightly as comparing side to side now the original may be a tiny bit too dull. I'll be happy to hear further thoughts on this, as I think it is an interesting subject nowadays, where cameras seem to over-saturate everything and we can punch in as much vibrance and color as we we want into our images.

Crop: I love it when there's different opinions! Thank you both! I had some more frame around it but lost it when correcting a very badly levelled horizon... I need to improve this. Glad to see there's different opinion and, to some extent I agree with both, so will probably leave it as is. I agree there's nothing really going on in the background but I think it does add a bit of context to the shot. That said, I had toned it down a little so it didn't pop-up as much (one of the buildings is white and was distracting).

Here's my version of B&W (I like contrast!)

11-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #6

A sort of washed out version using Analog Efex Pro. There might be better options but there are so many filters to try...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #7
Banned

I like it just like it was in the beginning with the photographer