Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2019, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #16
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd go for square frame from about center of the landscape shot, if that's allowed. If not, then portrait. I have had a portrait landscape phase going on for some time now and often find it offers more interesting composition. Probably due to shooting lot of landscapes with tele lenses during last couple of years.

11-20-2019, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

I'll add another vote for the landscape orientation, but you may also want to consider a square crop for a shot like this (as iheiramo already mentioned). It might be able to help you achieve a "best of both worlds" look by focusing the image on the most interesting bits. I've found this is a good compromise for some of my shots, after I started shooting an old medium format TLR.

Last edited by bobtheicicle; 11-20-2019 at 08:48 AM.
11-20-2019, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #18
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Landscape. Draws you in to the "tunnel" created by the trees in a way the portrait version does not.
11-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I'd go for square frame from about center of the landscape shot, if that's allowed. If not, then portrait. I have had a portrait landscape phase going on for some time now and often find it offers more interesting composition. Probably due to shooting lot of landscapes with tele lenses during last couple of years.
Now that is something I hadn't considered before.

I also like portrait landscapes. For a waterfall or a river, for example, it presents very interesting possibilities that a landscape doesn't.

In this one, I don't really feel that the pavement in the landscape is too big and distracting, but since a lot of people think so, it probably just shows I have a lot to learn.

11-21-2019, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobtheicicle Quote
I'll add another vote for the landscape orientation, but you may also want to consider a square crop for a shot like this (as iheiramo already mentioned). It might be able to help you achieve a "best of both worlds" look by focusing the image on the most interesting bits. I've found this is a good compromise for some of my shots, after I started shooting an old medium format TLR.
Interesting, thanks for the comment. I wish I could go back and try a square composition like you said (a crop just wouldn't work) - but those leaves are gone by now. Maybe next year
11-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Landscape. Draws you in to the "tunnel" created by the trees in a way the portrait version does not.
Thank you. That is also something to consider! The landscape version does enhance that "tunnel effect".
11-24-2019, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #22
Banned

anything to do with water. I like this a lot

11-26-2019, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

The portrait works for me. Both are good!
11-30-2019, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm not sure which one I like best...

And yes I know the horizon isn't really level in the first one. The 2nd one is more accurate.

It is tough decision... I would prefer if landscape would have wider, higher view (level, crop concrete...) or crop portrait with most of concrete out...
11-30-2019, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Put me down for the portrait orientation. The geometry is more striking that way.
12-01-2019, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like most everyone else I'm going with landscape as well. I like how the curves of the branches lead me across the scene and it there really seems to be 3 nice evenly divided sections. I'd love to shoot here off of a tripod, maybe a little wider, and either earlier or later in the day with the sun lower coming in from the right like it is starting to or finishing doing. There is a nice photo here to be had.