Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2020, 12:25 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
Uncropped for me. The cropped version is more technically perfect, but it really loses character for me that way. Pretty, but i scroll on past. The uncropped version has a charm for me that is lost in the crop.
Agree on this - color uncrop is really nice!

I think the bigger you produce or print (or otherwise view) the image, the more the out of focus foreground might be disturbing - but as a small part of the computer screen at normal viewing distance, I think it looks really good and natural!

12-16-2020, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I have a much higher tolerance for foreground blur than most, which might be why I prefer the uncropped version.

QuoteOriginally posted by WileyB Quote
Agree on this - color uncrop is really nice!

I think the bigger you produce or print (or otherwise view) the image, the more the out of focus foreground might be disturbing - but as a small part of the computer screen at normal viewing distance, I think it looks really good and natural!
12-16-2020, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #18

The first two are great for me. Especially the one in Black and White.

I like the composition and the definition achieved.
12-19-2020, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

The color images are best. The cropped version is the best, I like the composition better.

04-17-2021, 09:13 AM   #20
Forum Member

uncropped and color.

Yes, the composition on the uncropped version is technically "worse" but still life is so played out that it needs to be done "wrong" to be fun.

I like the context the uncropped version brings, but I would say you need to blacken the background to mimic the cropped and B&W versions. I feel the blurred foreground does well to progressively direct your eyes to the subject. Other times blurring this part of the image can make for a very messy and confusing photo, but because what's in the fore is slightly below the subject and shadowed, I think it reduces that effect.'

My only grip is the twig or what have you that's next to the flower pot. It works in the cropped version but not at all in the uncropped. I would also suggest taking some of the red out of the flower pot itself.
04-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I was taking pictures of some decorations at the end of a kids party, and for some reason this picture really struck a chord with me... after I posted it in one of the Dlub threads, someone mentioned it should be cropped... so I did a crop, then a black and white crop. But for the sheer mood of it, I keep going back to the uncropped version... even though it's not perfect, technically. What do y'all think?
I prefer the color version and cropped. The monochrome is dull looking to me and the uncropped one has that plate in the lower right corner which is a distraction. Personally I would also clone out the small item in the lower left corner. It is a slight distraction but not as severe as the plate. The cropped color version is a very nice photo.
04-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #22

I like the composition of the uncroped best.

04-23-2021, 08:56 AM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I am not particularly interested in the cropped image, I prefer the color image without cropping. It lacks sharpness for my taste.
Greetings
04-23-2021, 07:22 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I love it!

Color and cropped. I would prefer a square crop.
Clone out the distracting table item intruding in the left of the frame.
04-23-2021, 11:02 PM   #25

I like the cropped color verion the most
04-24-2021, 07:22 AM   #26
Pentaxian

The uncropped makes for better composition in my opinion.
04-24-2021, 11:33 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of opinions expressed, but the final version is up to you, Christian Rock. Your preference is the important one.