Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2019, 12:34 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dicki Quote
But I think the barn with the trees can look more present if you cut the Picture in the middle. Cut the sky only. It will be look like a panaorama. The barn is more present and the impression is as lost like before.
Interesting idea. That is the thing I rarely think of doing and when I do it is only because I was shooting a stitched panorama to begin with.The next time I'm down in that area I will probably get out the 200mm and shoot a stitched panorama of the barn with it.

12-13-2019, 02:46 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
The blue barn near Elko, MN visible from I-35. I've shot this barn a number of times and yes it is this bright blue. This was the first time where things were more monochromatic when I've been out there. I also shot it with the 77ltd but like the emptiness of this image but wondering what others think.
nice idea it's very minimalist, I like it, but I think that if you kept the 1/3 for the earth and the 2/3 for the sky might be better?
12-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the big sky here, nice choice!
12-13-2019, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the way this framing gives a feeling of isolation to the barn. 'In the middle of nowhere' comes to mind. It works for me just the way it is.

01-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #20

The blue barn near Elko, MN visible from I-35. I've shot this barn a number of times and yes it is this bright blue. This was the first time where things were more monochromatic when I've been out there. I also shot it with the 77ltd but like the emptiness of this image but wondering what others think.
Other than cropping out the top third and left third, this hobbyist sees nothing but a beautiful and interesting pic.
01-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rexlawyer Quote
Other than cropping out the top third and left third, this hobbyist sees nothing but a beautiful and interesting pic.
That is interesting as that is basically the framing that the 77ltd gave and while I liked that one I just seemed to like the emptiness of this one more.
01-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Nice picture, very interesting.

01-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I like it as is but by scrolling the page to cut the top 60% or so, it is a really cool pano! A very good photo on many levels! Kind of neat that it can be edited for differing effects. Bice work!
01-27-2020, 09:45 PM   #24

That is interesting as that is basically the framing that the 77ltd gave and while I liked that one I just seemed to like the emptiness of this one more.
In hindsight, even before your post, I decided a third top and left was way to much, but something around half that perhaps. I find it just a bit to vacuous, even though that is a part of the appeal.
01-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
by scrolling the page to cut the top 60% or so, it is a really cool pano!
QuoteOriginally posted by Rexlawyer Quote
I decided a third top and left was way to much, but something around half that perhaps
I think I might need to go back down there and photograph it again. I will probably haul out the big glass and do a stitched panorama so that I can rally play around with crops and not have to worry loss from cropping. I hadn't thought about doing a wide pano but that too is interesting. For some reason I never think of doing that and really should more often.
01-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
Nice picture, but unfortunately blue is not strong enough
beside the white. Possible cut in the left side?
01-30-2020, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First, let me start out by saying that I really like the concept. I typically like pictures where it’s clear what effect you were looking for. I get it.

That being said - I would have pulled back even more, making the barn much smaller. It would enhance the sense of isolation, harsh weather, yet the blue will pop even if it’s smaller. The bright and emotionally positive aspect Of the blue will carry you through to the end of inspection by a viewer without incessant distraction.

Last edited by Fontan; 01-30-2020 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Typo
01-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
First, let me start out by saying that I really like the concept. I typically like pictures where it’s clear what effect you were looking for. I get it.

That being said - I would have pulled back even more, making the barn much smaller. It would enhance the sense of isolation, harsh weather, yet the blue will pop even if it’s smaller. The bright and emotionally positive aspect Of the blue will carry you through to the end of inspection by a viewer without incessant distraction.
I thought about doing that as well but the amount of stubble in the field got distracting unless I kept the same ground in view which really felt like too little but with substantially more snow on the ground now that isn't a concern. I had looked through the DA 35/2.4 but didn't like what I saw for the reason mentioned at the time. However doing a big stitched panorama using the long glass now would also allow that option and give me a good way to explore crops.