Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2019, 07:08 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Blue Barn
Lens: SMC A 50/1.2 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Elko, MN ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F5.6 

The blue barn near Elko, MN visible from I-35. I've shot this barn a number of times and yes it is this bright blue. This was the first time where things were more monochromatic when I've been out there. I also shot it with the 77ltd but like the emptiness of this image but wondering what others think.

11-29-2019, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I like this image. The blue barn lends to the cool tones of the image. The negative space tends to pull your eye to blue image resting in the corner. It works for me, other may suggest cropping the sky, but the negative space works for me in this case.
11-29-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
very well done. Has a minimal quality to it.
11-29-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot...almost monochrome but the blue jumps out at you. Would be an easy landmark..."look for the blue barn and silo".

I have to believe that someone offered the farmer a heck of a deal on some blue paint (I would likely take the deal if I were running a farm and it could save me some money) or maybe they just like blue. Purely speculation on my part...

Thanks for posting!

11-29-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
I have to believe that someone offered the farmer a heck of a deal on some blue paint (I would likely take the deal if I were running a farm and it could save me some money) or maybe they just like blue. Purely speculation on my part...
It was a Culvers "Thank You Farmers" barn so the Culver's restaurant chain paid to have it painted blue.
11-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good use of negative space.
11-29-2019, 12:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
It was a Culvers "Thank You Farmers" barn so the Culver's restaurant chain paid to have it painted blue.
Awesome. Thanks for the info! We just got a Culvers where I live in NC.

11-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #8

There's a texture in the sky that keeps it from being completely empty. (Dare I say Rothko-esque?) On the whole it actually balances pretty well I think.
11-29-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redmenace Quote
There's a texture in the sky that keeps it from being completely empty. (Dare I say Rothko-esque?) On the whole it actually balances pretty well I think.
It has been very gray here lately but the clouds haven't been completly uniform so there is at least something interesting in the sky. Lots of annoying weather with it pretending like it wants to snow/sleet/rain but never delivering. It snowed tuesday but since it just wants to just doesn't deliver. Tomorrow might be a good chance to go for some more moody shots in the snow since they are thinking several inches may accumulate.
11-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blue barn on a blue day. Nice theme.
12-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a lot to be said for negative space. However, I find myself wishing to see a little more of that snow-covered field with its furrow detail, and for the horizon to be a little higher (rule-of-thirdish?) in the frame. But maybe that's just me. Also, you may have a sensor spot issue in the middle of the frame, right above the barn building?

Otherwise, I perfectly dig why you were drawn to this scene. It's beautiful.
12-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Also, you may have a sensor spot issue in the middle of the frame, right above the barn building?
I actually have several of them that is just the worse one and need to clean the sensor again. It is from condensation from always being out in the cold lately and then coming back in with non weather resistant lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
However, I find myself wishing to see a little more of that snow-covered field with its furrow detail, and for the horizon to be a little higher (rule-of-thirdish?) in the frame.
I think I defaulted to this framing because I had previously always shot it in the summer when the corn was still up and putting it a bit higher the corn is basically a fence at the bottom 1/3rd of the frame. Since it isn't that far away I can always go and shoot it again as it is only about a mile out of the way (get off the freeway and drive to and down the gravel road frontage road) for one of the places I regularly go and shoot at. This was actually a capture on the way back from there. It is visible from the freeway so until earlier this year I hadn't spent the time to go and shoot it but decided that before it get repainted or destroyed I should make an effort to capture it.
12-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
The blue barn near Elko, MN visible from I-35. I've shot this barn a number of times and yes it is this bright blue. This was the first time where things were more monochromatic when I've been out there. I also shot it with the 77ltd but like the emptiness of this image but wondering what others think.
Nice catch. A very cool blue feel overall.
12-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Good result, good job. Love empty space...
12-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #15

I like the image, too. I think is a good looking from the photographer.

But I think the barn with the trees can look more present if you cut the Picture in the middle. Cut the sky only. It will be look like a panaorama. The barn is more present and the impression is as lost like before.