Dutch mill

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
12-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think you should have framed the picture differently.
I guess you tried to get the mill as a whole and didn't have a wider lens with you. In this case either take multible pictures and stitch them in post or cut away the windmill vane aloft to get more of the hedge into the image.
With the edges so close to the mill the whole image looks a little crammed to me.

The colors are not that interesting to me (just an assessment of the lighting conditions and the not so colorfull painting decisions of the owner -> the colors look realistic, which is in my opinion always preferably to excessively saturated in post) so maybe a black and white conversion would be better to concentrate fully on the architecture without any distractions.

I know an old building I'd like to take a picture in it's entirety but the surrounding buildings, fences and hedges don't allow a good angle to photograph (without a drone), in those cases I usually take some pictures of some details instead (like the wheel to align the mill in your case or maybe the pillars that support the gallery)
12-02-2019, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe portrait orientation, and step back a few steps.
12-04-2019, 03:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Maybe portrait orientation, and step back a few steps.

My sentiments exactly, couldn't agree more. Given that there isn't much interest in the sky, and the colour nice but not great, a b/w conversion could raise the image too. A beautiful specimen of a Dutch mill, BTW.

12-04-2019, 04:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I guess you can't do too much about the sky (unless you have Luminar 4 sky replacement tool!) but the framing of the windmill could be better. Stepping back, going wider or orienting the camera differently would help.
12-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to agree with the framing comments. Vertically it feels really cramped and I don't like how it is centered in the image. Since the mill has an L shape to it would probably have put in the lower right of the image and left some space between it and the bottom and right edge of the frame. I assume you were using a prime 28mm lens from the EXIF so going with a wider lens may not have been an option. Also without knowing what was behind you I don't know if stepping back more was an option either. In a case like this I would have probably shot the camera vertically to avoid the cramped feeling but done it as 2 or 3 vertical shots stitched together. Then crop to your liking, but I would like to see the lamp post and red building on the right get remove because I think they are ugly.

I don't know how much post processing was done or if it was shot in raw but there is probably some good detail that can be pulled out from the dark areas. Given that you were using a 28mm lens you could likely have safely knocked the ISO down to 100 and shot at a slower shutter speed without ill effects from camera movement blur since this appears to be a static scene. This would allow for more latitude in post processing to pull up details in the dark areas as well.
12-14-2019, 08:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
Dutch mill
Interesting subject but you needed a wider frame to get more in. As it is, the building is "resting"on the bottom of the frame. I can see you were cutting off some un-needed foreground, but we miss the full aspect of the subject.

12-23-2019, 03:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm guessing that this sawmill is in a built up area and the buildings surrounding it are much more modern, so I'm not sure whether different framing is possible at all, but even so, I agree with the others about this not being the best framing. Maybe, working with some of the details or the stack of wood that is outside would have allowed you to tell more of a story.