Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pent axe Quote
Well phooey! just kidding; gotta find a nice middle ground I guess. I will re-edit tonight (hopefully) and get back with version 'charlie'.

---------- Post added 12-16-19 at 07:06 PM ----------

True true; if I can manage to blend in even 10 of those opinions, and its an improvement, ill take it!

So you mention alot of editing, but no post of a photo? do you have that somewhere?

Nice play on words with your handle by the way

Haha Yes, it is all subjective right? That's one thing I don't like about CC. It's really only subjective. And I agree about the 1/3s rule. It CAN be broken, but never centre. The reason I liked the original crop was because the snakes head was lower than centre but still not near the 1/3 line. I personally like using the golden ratio (and i forget what it's actually called in LR, I just know it's a variant of the swirly one) over the rule of thirds.
Whatever the case, it's about YOUR vision. If there is one piece of criticism I can give you that you should take heed of 100%: do what photography you want, edit the images how you want to, have fun with the hobby how you would most enjoy it. Don't try to appease the masses because you never truly will and the joy quickly gets sucked out. I tried myself and nearly gave up completely. I basically had to leave every photography group I was a part of and stopped following many other artists I admired simply because I needed to mature a bit and rediscover the joy of photography; just making pictures that I like.

12-17-2019, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So you mention alot of editing, but no post of a photo? do you have that somewhere?
Since you are the OP and you asked for it, here it is. Otherwise I wouldn't have forced my version on everyone.
Attached Images

12-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Since you are the OP and you asked for it, here it is. Otherwise I wouldn't have forced my version on everyone.
Thanks for your modesty. I think that's how I would have finally liked it. Thanks for posting!

I think I'm going to see if I can explore a bit more with the color wheel aspect of things.
~

Thanks everyone for your input and encouragement
12-19-2019, 02:00 AM   #19
Pentaxian

The purple works well with the yellow of the snake! Although it's a little unnatural, first I thought it's lighting with an UV lamp.

12-20-2019, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Whatever the case, it's about YOUR vision. If there is one piece of criticism I can give you that you should take heed of 100%: do what photography you want, edit the images how you want to, have fun with the hobby how you would most enjoy it. Don't try to appease the masses because you never truly will and the joy quickly gets sucked out. I tried myself and nearly gave up completely. I basically had to leave every photography group I was a part of and stopped following many other artists I admired simply because I needed to mature a bit and rediscover the joy of photography; just making pictures that I like.
I completely understand and agree. Thanks for the encouragement. Its happened more times than I'd care to count where I get to point where I just want to drop it all because my work is not up to par with mr. x or ms. y. I blame myself for getting sucked into instagram and drooling over other peoples work. Of course there's nothing wrong with admiring, but once it delves into the realm of comparisons and competition, its sucks the joy out of it. Not so oddly enough, once I stopped looking at instagram, 500px, flickr, etc., I felt so much better. Stopped blaming my camera and just started looking for more to shoot, or create things to shoot...cant deny that I enjoy the stealth of a mirrorless or rangefinder, and the feel of a full frame, but I'll manage for now

---------- Post added 12-20-19 at 04:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
The purple works well with the yellow of the snake! Although it's a little unnatural, first I thought it's lighting with an UV lamp.
Just might be; that snake was in an enclosure.
12-21-2019, 06:29 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Thanks for your modesty. I think that's how I would have finally liked it. Thanks for posting!

I think I'm going to see if I can explore a bit more with the color wheel aspect of things.
~

Thanks everyone for your input and encouragement

Two of my favourite images this year come by way of the colour wheel. It's amazing how powerful complimenting colours can be. Both of them are orange/blue, but it would be nice to experiment more with that.

And totally agree about the social media aspect. I quit IG for over a year because I lost my photography heart. Finally gained it back and no longer shoot to try and please others; I do what I find fun.