Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2019, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Python
Lens: 18-135 Camera: K-5 ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/50s Aperture: F5.6 

Purple being opposite on the color wheel from the color of the snake made an interesting contrast I thought. Outside of cropping it and coloring, any other changes in mind?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-08-2019, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think I would change it. As you say, the colours make an interesting contrast. Nice shot.
12-09-2019, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I can't work out if I'd prefer a bit more sharepness/clarity on the head! Other than that I love this shot. Great colour too.
12-13-2019, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #4

As you've said yourself the colours here look really great. Only thing I would do is either crop or introduce some subtle vignetting so the top and bottom of the image don't distract from the subject. Nice work!

12-13-2019, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great color and selective focus.
12-13-2019, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it were my shot, I would probably crop a little off the bottom and a bit more off the top. At first I'd be tempted to do some sharpening just on the snakes head, but on second thought the slight softness adds an ethereal dreamy effect that I like better. Really cool shot; congratulations.
12-15-2019, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

A bit too much purple saturation for me. I'd have dialed it back a bit and also dropped it's luminescence a tad, so the snake was brighter. You'd still have the strong balancing colours, but the purple wouldn't be so... *bam! in your face!* It does take away from the snake.

12-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
I can't work out if I'd prefer a bit more sharepness/clarity on the head! Other than that I love this shot. Great colour too.
Thanks! I'll post something with that edit in a sec. Good point. Thanks for the feedback

---------- Post added 12-15-19 at 08:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
A bit too much purple saturation for me. I'd have dialed it back a bit and also dropped it's luminescence a tad, so the snake was brighter. You'd still have the strong balancing colours, but the purple wouldn't be so... *bam! in your face!* It does take away from the snake.

Noted! I've made an edit and will post soon. I could see what you meant with the luminescence. The snake should be the focus of it ofcourse. Thanks for the feedback.

---------- Post added 12-15-19 at 08:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
If it were my shot, I would probably crop a little off the bottom and a bit more off the top. At first I'd be tempted to do some sharpening just on the snakes head, but on second thought the slight softness adds an ethereal dreamy effect that I like better. Really cool shot; congratulations.
Thanks. I've since cropped the shot and per another suggestion, have sharpened the head a little. Will post in a second. Thanks for the feedback
12-15-2019, 06:54 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here is an edit per your suggestions. Its much appreciated and I can see much improvement with those changes! Thanks everyone! Anything else come to mind with this edit?

*edit* Added a beta version being the other was a tad dark and lost the purple haze as a result
Attached Images

Last edited by pent axe; 12-15-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: adding 2nd version
12-16-2019, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

The added clarity on the eye really works for me
12-16-2019, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I like the added clarity, and the darker/less vibrant purple, but don't like that crop. maybe more off the bottom if you want to crop it like that. while on the left third yes, the snakes eye is in the middle of top/bottom... I preferred the original crop over this one. Without downloading it and looking, the eye was closer to the bottom third, and probably fit a golden ratio crop fairly closely. Not the swirly version, in LR it is the one that almost looks like the 1/3s but the lines are a bit closer in the centre.

---------- Post added 12-16-2019 at 04:46 AM ----------

The original crop also worked for me because it really framed the snake, put it in it's environment, and the little branch at the bottom was a sweet little piece of eye candy...
12-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Awesome shot
12-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ask 50 people, get 50 different opinions, right? I'm not crazy about the close crop either. I hope you don't mind, but I downloaded the image and played around with it. I came up with a crop that was 816 Pix tall (817 was too much ). Got rid of almost all of the soft V in the branch at the top and kept most of the branch at the bottom. This put the snake's eye at a location to meet the 2/5ths 'rule' (OK I made that up). Who says we always have to use 1/3; more is better, right? I turned down the saturation of the magenta channel by 15%, and finished with a little overall sharpening. My 2 cents. Others may look at it and think NO! NO! NO!
12-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
I like the added clarity, and the darker/less vibrant purple, but don't like that crop. maybe more off the bottom if you want to crop it like that. while on the left third yes, the snakes eye is in the middle of top/bottom... I preferred the original crop over this one. Without downloading it and looking, the eye was closer to the bottom third, and probably fit a golden ratio crop fairly closely. Not the swirly version, in LR it is the one that almost looks like the 1/3s but the lines are a bit closer in the centre.

---------- Post added 12-16-2019 at 04:46 AM ----------

The original crop also worked for me because it really framed the snake, put it in it's environment, and the little branch at the bottom was a sweet little piece of eye candy...
Well phooey! just kidding; gotta find a nice middle ground I guess. I will re-edit tonight (hopefully) and get back with version 'charlie'.

---------- Post added 12-16-19 at 07:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Ask 50 people, get 50 different opinions, right? I'm not crazy about the close crop either. I hope you don't mind, but I downloaded the image and played around with it. I came up with a crop that was 816 Pix tall (817 was too much ). Got rid of almost all of the soft V in the branch at the top and kept most of the branch at the bottom. This put the snake's eye at a location to meet the 2/5ths 'rule' (OK I made that up). Who says we always have to use 1/3; more is better, right? I turned down the saturation of the magenta channel by 15%, and finished with a little overall sharpening. My 2 cents. Others may look at it and think NO! NO! NO!
True true; if I can manage to blend in even 10 of those opinions, and its an improvement, ill take it!

So you mention alot of editing, but no post of a photo? do you have that somewhere?

Nice play on words with your handle by the way
12-16-2019, 08:15 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As much as I have a healthy distrust of snakes, this is one very pretty critter. Well captured