Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Red columbine
Lens: Sigma 300mm F/4 APO Macro Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My lake property ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/80s Aperture: F5.6 

A red columbine from this summer up at my lake property. I have some ideas on what I would like to improve, but looking for others' thoughts on it.
Name:  RedColombine.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  283.6 KB

12-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It seems to me there's a wee bit much green space. Maybe crop the image, roughly in half, and use just the left side?
Nice photo regardless
12-12-2019, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It seems to me there's a wee bit much green space. Maybe crop the image, roughly in half, and use just the left side?
That is one of the things I would have done, actually I would have just gotten closer, but the image was taken as part of a class and the week it was done the assignment was to stay in one spot for a few hours and take pictures. Cropping wasn't allowed as it was one of the learning how to see and frame an image assignments. Zooming with my feet would have solved a lot of the things I would have wanted to change as well with this image.
12-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #4
GRB
Pentaxian

I think you've got it. That must have been a fun class. I'm going to have to try that assignment one day.

12-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GRB Quote
That must have been a fun class.
It was and I did get a lot out of it. There were lots of people who either didn't understand or refused to understand that there were a number of assignments centered around seeing and got rather upset because an assignment like this seemed pointless. The first few weeks were really meant to get people who only could push the button when in auto mode familiar with what different settings do so I didn't start getting anything out of the class for taking photos for the first month or so but did learn better editing techniques during that time.

QuoteOriginally posted by GRB Quote
I'm going to have to try that assignment one day.
I actually want to try a variation on it and go an photograph one thing for an entire day and see what I can come up with. The object I want to do this with is the post in this thread because of all the posts in that park for some reason that one I find the most interesting and I after someone suggested spending a day photographing it I want to do so to see if I can figure out why I like this one more than the other ones just like it.
12-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice. It says a lot without being cropped.
12-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #7

To me, that brown stem is distracting. I would have wanted to remove it.

12-23-2019, 03:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

very nice, nice shot
12-23-2019, 03:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the idea of a red flower in a sea of green, so you spotted this nicely as far as I'm concerned. I'n not sure whether a different position would allow you to get the brown flower stalk out of the image and whether opening the aperture a bit more would have blurred the spider web that is just to the top left of the flowers; I found both a bit distracting.
12-23-2019, 08:44 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Unlike HoutHans, I like the spider web.

The sea of green seems a bit too vividly green, at least for my tastes.
12-24-2019, 10:47 AM   #11
GRB
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
It was and I did get a lot out of it. There were lots of people who either didn't understand or refused to understand that there were a number of assignments centered around seeing and got rather upset because an assignment like this seemed pointless. The first few weeks were really meant to get people who only could push the button when in auto mode familiar with what different settings do so I didn't start getting anything out of the class for taking photos for the first month or so but did learn better editing techniques during that time.

I actually want to try a variation on it and go an photograph one thing for an entire day and see what I can come up with. The object I want to do this with is the post in this thread because of all the posts in that park for some reason that one I find the most interesting and I after someone suggested spending a day photographing it I want to do so to see if I can figure out why I like this one more than the other ones just like it.
I'm not so sure that it's the post, but rather where it is located in the scene.
12-27-2019, 02:04 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
A red columbine from this summer up at my lake property. I have some ideas on what I would like to improve, but looking for others' thoughts on it.
Attachment 479119
Beautiful photo, a perfect contrast of the two colors
01-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
just a touch of foot zoom, as has been previously suggested. Or cropping a little off the left, out of the constraints of the assignment. I like the pop of red amidst the green.