Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-14-2019, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Snow- after the storm
Lens: Takumar 35-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Harriman SP NY ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F7.1 

New Fallen Snow- Just after the storm cleared...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite a lot of snow, too, although not so evidence in the distance. Nice shot. Will the lake freeze?
12-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
GRB
Pentaxian

Looks like some frost and snow.
12-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Neat shot, though I find the branch in the right foreground distracting

12-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'd rather be out there vs shovelling it just now nice shot
12-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice shot. Will the lake freeze?
Eventually, given low temperatures, the lake can freeze over into March. Some years, yes, some no. And this is as it has been for 40 years (before climate change!).

The branches in the bottom right, ideally would be gone, but I did not have my step ladder that day and cloning the water was not working.
Thanks for looking and the comments!
12-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Must have been an amazing moment, but I'm not sure if your composition is strong enough to convey it to the viewer. My eyes, at least, seem to keep wandering between different elements in the frame, a bit unsure of what it was that you wanted to show. My best guess would have been the lake (or stream) in winter, but your title suggests it was the new snow just after the storm. At the resolution provided, it is also hard to say what parts of the image are really in focus, but that may be a non-issue when viewed at higher res.

12-23-2019, 03:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

well managed.
12-23-2019, 03:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the image a lot. I would have darkened the sky a bit, to add more depth to the image and the idea that there was a storm (the sky seems to have enough activity in it).
12-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
y eyes, at least, seem to keep wandering between different elements
Which is exactly what I wanted the viewer to do, wander through the image, but never wanting to leave it! Iys a winter landscape, some things to bring you in, some to move your eye around.
12-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I would use a smaller aperture, the K-1 can produce much sharper images. The other thing is the exposure, I would expose one or two stops darker and lighten the shadows in post, it would preserve more from the sky.
I like the composition and the calm mood of the image!
12-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
The other thing is the exposure, I would expose one or two stops darker and lighten the shadows in post,
I work from the "expose to the right" technique, as there is MUCH more info available in the light areas than there can be in the darker areas. If you expose too dark, you start picking up noise and getting dark things lighter can result in loss of detail. The trick is not to go TOO far to the right! See the following:
https://photographylife.com/exposing-to-the-right-explained

As a reference I have included the converted (from DNG) JPG file (downsized, with Highlight Recovery applied (Highlight recovery only can bed applied to the RAW file).

PS- If the sky had too much detail in it and was too dark it would look odd compared to the lightness in the rest of the image...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
I work from the "expose to the right" technique, as there is MUCH more info available in the light areas than there can be in the darker areas. If you expose too dark, you start picking up noise and getting dark things lighter can result in loss of detail. The trick is not to go TOO far to the right! See the following:
https://photographylife.com/exposing-to-the-right-explained

As a reference I have included the converted (from DNG) JPG file (downsized, with Highlight Recovery applied (Highlight recovery only can bed applied to the RAW file).

PS- If the sky had too much detail in it and was too dark it would look odd compared to the lightness in the rest of the image...
Thanks for sharing the original! Nothing can beat ETTR, the reference looks perfectly fine. Anyway on the processed image, the sky is too bright for me.
I really like the processing of the trees and the water!
12-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Lovely photo! The B&W version almost looks like an IR photo.

We've got plenty of snow here too (northern Wisconsin USA). Just spent the last 3 days shoveling it off of my roof so it does not collapse.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-06-2020 at 10:47 PM.
12-24-2019, 03:52 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Didn't seem like that much snow to worry about! 2 fe4t, maybe... Makes you wonder why they went to these roofs with the lower pitches in north country!

OK, I reworked the image some and pulled more from the sky. Had to stat from the Raw file again. With the season, I had the time!
HEre's another try at feedback...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo