Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-19-2019, 06:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Water Fountain
Lens: DFA 28-105mm Camera: Pentax K-70 Photo Location: Melbourne, Australia ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F4.5 

I have joined my local Camera club and have been set a task for the theme of "Water".

I would like to know if anyone thinks this shot may be worthy.

Any & all comments are appreciated. (Good or bad)
By the way, I also didn't know which category to place this in.

Attached Images

Last edited by VILLAINofOZ; 12-19-2019 at 06:54 AM.
12-19-2019, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I like it. Plenty of motion captured here so gives a very dynamic feel.

The one thing to me that stands out is that the photo doesn't appear to be straightened, i.e. the vertical line is not 'straight up', if you follow? That being said, it's not that much of an issue.

Ultimately, however, it'll be up to you whether you like it or not!
12-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would shoot with shorter or longer exposure time to completly freez the water or give more little sens of motion.
12-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

^ I agree. "Freeze it" or "move it"

12-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I would like it a bit wider as it just feels cramped, so maybe have a bit more space above and some more on the left. The first thing I noticed is that it doesn't seem to be level it may be that the stone slab with the water running off of it is tipped down some but if it is it makes the image feel as if it is leaning forward to the left. As far as the movement in either blurring it or freezing it I would be for freezing it as the rest of the image is fairly static and gives that impression with all the stone while freezing the water motion would make it look dynamic.
12-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
I agree with others who say the shot needs to be straightened a bit. It's not just the stone slab with the water flowing over it---it's also the masonry lines in the stone wall on the left side and background of the photo that don't look level enough.
12-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A subject with some potential, but as is the image would stand zero chance in a competition. Agree with those who suggested that the shot could use some levelling, and also with the advice about either "freezing" or "moving" the water. But I guess what ultimately ruins the shot for me is the totally clipped highlight above the stone slab. It distracts the eye from your professed subject without contributing anything. Quite possibly, this could have been avoided by zooming further in or, better still, by changing your position.

12-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
I have joined my local Camera club and have been set a task for the theme of "Water".

Nice but not fast enough. And you can improve it with lightroom to supress excess of white (top of the photo). Take this as positive advices but you also need to rotate it to have perfect verticals. You should have made some steps back to have more crop range
06-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote

A nice picture. Perhaps a slightly longer exposure would highlight the movement of the water.
12-02-2021, 07:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Watch your shutter speeds

Generally I advise moderation in all things, but only in moderation. But in a photo of falling water, I think you first need to decide who you want your water to be rendered: smooth and flowing, like a horses' mane, or detailed and still, with every drop sharp and clear. Then take to extremes, with your shutter at either 1/4 sec or 1/1000 sec. Splitting the difference doesn't cut it. This water looks like a spilling bowl of cake batter, sticky and gloppy.