Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-19-2019, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Screw
Lens: Sigma 300mm f/4 APO Macro Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My lake property ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 

Another of my attempts to make an interesting picture of something completely boring and mundane. A rusty old screw on a decaying platform at my lake property.
Name:  Screw1200.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  187.9 KB
ISO 100
f/8
1/100s
popup flash used as a fill flash

12-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Another of my attempts to make an interesting picture of something completely boring and mundane. A rusty old screw on a decaying platform at my lake property.
Attachment 480372
ISO 100
f/8
1/100s
popup flash used as a fill flash
I like it. Sometimes we just have to go out and find something to shoot.
12-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well executed shot. The colors aren't quite what I expected for a rusty screw. I see subtle shades of purple and cyan on my monitor. The bright blotch at the bottom of the frame has a blue-ish cast. Could the fill flash have caused this? How was your white balance set? This is NOT a criticism. I really like the colors just the way they are, interesting and a little off the beaten path.
12-19-2019, 08:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Nice photo! How about a b&w version?

12-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Well executed shot. The colors aren't quite what I expected for a rusty screw. I see subtle shades of purple and cyan on my monitor. The bright blotch at the bottom of the frame has a blue-ish cast. Could the fill flash have caused this? How was your white balance set? This is NOT a criticism. I really like the colors just the way they are, interesting and a little off the beaten path.
The odd colors on the screw are actually lichen growing on it. The board it held down had long since rotted away so behind it you see one of the other decking boards and below it the board that is a truss for the platform. It is all probably close to 40 years old at this point so it is pretty moss and lichen covered.

As far as the white balance it was camera auto and this was shot in the shade on a sunny day with the fill flash.
12-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmacias Quote
Nice photo! How about a b&w version?
I've though about doing one but I am not entirely sure how I would want to proceed. It has a nice texture and that usually works well for B&W conversions but I'm not sure how I would want to bring that out.
12-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think a side light with off camera flash would make it much more interesting. Also consider photographing it from a little above or below to make the background less interfering with the subject.