Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-22-2019, 12:06 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
I too prefer the vertical - but also felt the focus was off. Beautiful area.

Perhaps a good addition to this photo would be someone with a blue or red umbrella, or jacket, or in bright yellow rain gear to add a subject - either on the bridge or in the pool below the smaller falls.

12-22-2019, 07:06 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I prefer the horizontal shot. Here's my take on it, I cropped to 5x7 and dodged/burned a bit, up to half a stop, to balance things out and draw attention to the waterfall.

Here's similar processing with the vertical one, I think it's less balanced because the left side is too dark compared to the right, and at least from the jpeg trying to bring out more from those rocks looks unnatural. I like the way light falls on the rock at the bottom better in this one though.

Last edited by aaacb; 12-22-2019 at 07:12 AM.
12-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can see that the vertical perspective adheres better to image conventions.

But there is something "dramatic" in the way the rocks lean into the picture more in the horizontal version - almost a menacing quality. There is tension there. It may just be because there is more of the rocks in the picture, or because they are sharper in the horizontal image. Of course, it could be said that they distract from the intended main subject - the waterfall. Which they do. But to me they have a very compelling presence in the second image. Perhaps if the foliage was not there on the right, and simply more rock-face to balance the left-hand side, this would work well. But of course you have to work with what you have.

If you are on a Mac and looking for non-expensive replacement for Silky Pix, I believe GIMP might be worth a look - I think it is free.

If you were on a Windows PC, Paint.net would be an option. I barely know how to use it (just beginning to learn) but it is also freeware.

Last edited by K2 to K50; 12-22-2019 at 06:24 PM.