Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
This is something of what I had in mind. I also agree that less may be more in this situation. But if you want both, this might be the best way to do it.
This has more visual impact, but it loses the context of the scene. It depends on what one wants. Art or information? You take your pick and you make your crop. Not an easy decision...

12-24-2019, 10:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Tighter crop for sure
12-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
This has more visual impact, but it loses the context of the scene. It depends on what one wants. Art or information? You take your pick and you make your crop. Not an easy decision...

Exactly. Tough decision. Only really answered by being on site at the time the photo is made I'm afraid.
12-26-2019, 04:28 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Since the thing that caught my eye was the combination of the rainbows, the Maid of the Mist, and the falls, I don't particularly like tighter crop: Yes, it focuses on the boat and the rainbow, but I miss the fullness of the full quarter arc of the brilliant rainbow.

Still I appreciate seeing the tighter crop and I can understand why it makes a better picture if the time/place (i.e. story) of the picture is not important.

Thanks for all the critiques. I really do appreciate them.

12-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by robysue Quote
And here's a closer crop. I'm not sure how much closer I could go on cropping without losing the second rainbow.
I personally like that better for two reasons:
- 1 the waterfall looks infinitely high now, making the boat look more puny and vulnerable;
- 2 reductions of subjects make the picture more pleasant to look at.

Just my 2 cents. I any case, a great capture!
12-29-2019, 04:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The double rainbow is perfectly visible, although the image has too many items. I think you should choose one subject and add only the supporting elements, not the distracting ones.
12-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Nice image!

12-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #23
Forum Member

This could have been a great shot with tilt-shift lens., where the focus is on the boat.
Construction in the upper corner would not have been an issue, if playing with depth of focus/blur in post processing is considered.
The obvious is that I would have gone with higher shutter speed in favor of wider aperture. F11 is too much. If it is not macro or something very specific - I wouldn't go past F8, as typically this is the boundary for "sweet spot" for any lens.

But yes - I would have gone with wider or even much wider field of view and real or faked tilt-shift appearance for this one (you can google tilt-shift Niagara - there are some pretty nice looking examples with this very same motif).
12-31-2019, 10:13 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Frankly, I love the image! Maybe, as one suggested, simply crop off the top of the falls, so no buildings etc. are visible. Other than that, Wow! Great job. I love the vivid colors of the rainbow, and how you've shown the massiveness of the falls!
12-31-2019, 02:36 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Frankly, I love the image! Maybe, as one suggested, simply crop off the top of the falls, so no buildings etc. are visible. Other than that, Wow! Great job. I love the vivid colors of the rainbow, and how you've shown the massiveness of the falls!
So you like this crop better than my original crop?

12-31-2019, 04:24 PM   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, sorry. I love the original showing the very top of the falls. Since there's no room to crop; perhaps clone the buildings at the top of the falls out? This crop to me, doesn't show the full intensity or size of the waterfall.
12-31-2019, 04:49 PM   #27

Original Poster
I'm not terribly knowledgeable about fancy post processing software. Once upon a time I used SilkyPix, but that was 2 or 3 computers ago and got decent at using it, but I was never really good at using it. Now? I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but for the last three or four years, I've used nothing but Apple's Photos software for post processing. (Photos was/is bundled as part of the OS X operating system I'm using right now---which is 10.13.6 if that means anything to you.)

Now that I do have a new K-3, I'm interested in working on my post processing skills. I can guess what "cloning out" means, but I have no idea what kinds of post processing software you need to do that. And if I change post processing software, right now I've got to go with "free" or "almost free" for the cost.

Any suggestions on what software I might use for post processing a shot like this to clone out the construction site at the top of the original shot?
01-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I like post 8 s
first shot best so far. I like all three elements but they compete for focus. That one has boat, rainbow then falls as the focus in that order. It tells me how to deal with the photo.
01-08-2020, 11:47 AM   #29
Site Supporter

I live about 30 minutes away from Niagara Falls. So we go up there several times a year. This shot is from several years ago. The rainbow with the Maid of the Mist really caught my eye.

Notes:

1) There is actually a double rainbow, but the second one is very faint and is lost in the falls. But that's why the color of the water of the falls might not be totally consistent.

2) The primary rainbow really was that bright and distinct.

3) Focal length on the zoom was 28mm

a double rainbow?? what does it mean???

Neat shot, there's a reason it's popular with tourists You did a nice job grabbing that rainbow, it turned out very nicely.

Now, this will be a little more complicated as the rainbow has such nice intensity, but... there is too much yellow. I would prefer the Maid of the Mist to be more white.
01-08-2020, 02:15 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the thing that caught my eye was the combination of the rainbows, the Maid of the Mist, and the falls, I don't particularly like tighter crop: Yes, it focuses on the boat and the rainbow, but I miss the fullness of the full quarter arc of the brilliant rainbow.

Still I appreciate seeing the tighter crop and I can understand why it makes a better picture if the time/place (i.e. story) of the picture is not important.

Thanks for all the critiques. I really do appreciate them.

It's your image, so you do need to do what you feel is right. However, with the wider crops it simply just has too much going on and no clear subject and doesn't really do the story justice. It's like forming a sentence with all the right words in all the wrong order; content the there is it's not but right the order in. (the content is there but it's not in the right order). That's all some of us are trying to say.