Good. I think it would be better for the snowy part
would be smaller.

12-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by József Quote
Good. I think it would be better for the snowy part
would be smaller.
Thanks for the suggestion - I was trying to include enough ski trail to be seen, without too much snow, but that ended with the horizon right at half way up, so not the greatest composition.
01-02-2020, 07:50 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I want to be in that groove. also I wish the detail of the place was more than the rest of the photo instead of less.
01-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I want to be in that groove. also I wish the detail of the place was more than the rest of the photo instead of less.
Are you suggesting a wider FOV? I could see that working nicely.

01-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Are you suggesting a wider FOV? I could see that working nicely.
Actually yeah. But I meant I wish I could see a little deeper in that groove because it's a great leading line and with snow I associate the trench with skiing and being anchored in it moving forward. My eyes seeing into it instead of across it has a psychological association. for me and I expect others too.
Also psychological is wood detail being warm and inviting so the better I can distinguish it in the snow the more feelings of happiness I will associate with the subject.
Side point. I skied for the first time in 35 years. Enjoying snow again and your photo captures part of Its magic.
01-03-2020, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually yeah. But I meant I wish I could see a little deeper in that groove because it's a great leading line and with snow I associate the trench with skiing and being anchored in it moving forward. My eyes seeing into it instead of across it has a psychological association. for me and I expect others too.
Also psychological is wood detail being warm and inviting so the better I can distinguish it in the snow the more feelings of happiness I will associate with the subject.
Ahh - that makes sense

Side point. I skied for the first time in 35 years. Enjoying snow again and your photo captures part of Its magic.
The feeling of freedom on skis is like no other, I've been trying to put that feeling into pictures.
01-03-2020, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great scene! Like a lot of other commenters, I think it could stand to be a bit brighter. More importantly, though, I think a bit more contrast in the snow would really help make the ski trail stand out. And if I were to nitpick, I'd crop the image slightly to remove the tallest tree on the right side; there's not enough of it visible so I find it slightly distracting. But that's really splitting hairs.

Overall, if I'd taken it I'd be happy with it as-is! Evokes a wonderful mood--the peaceful stillness of a solitary winter landscape contrasted with the obvious effort it's gonna take to make it to that barn! I can feel the crispness of the air and the quietness of the landscape under the blanket of snow just by looking at the image. Thanks for sharing!

01-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonder how the landscape view will look.
01-04-2020, 05:12 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good use of negative space and the path gives my eye something to follow.
01-05-2020, 01:30 AM   #25

Photos: Albums
Sorry that is my opinion, if cuting bit a snowy part the picture will be better.
01-05-2020, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
Great scene! Like a lot of other commenters, I think it could stand to be a bit brighter. More importantly, though, I think a bit more contrast in the snow would really help make the ski trail stand out. And if I were to nitpick, I'd crop the image slightly to remove the tallest tree on the right side; there's not enough of it visible so I find it slightly distracting. But that's really splitting hairs.

Overall, if I'd taken it I'd be happy with it as-is! Evokes a wonderful mood--the peaceful stillness of a solitary winter landscape contrasted with the obvious effort it's gonna take to make it to that barn! I can feel the crispness of the air and the quietness of the landscape under the blanket of snow just by looking at the image. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for taking the time to write this - much appreciated
01-05-2020, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Wonder how the landscape view will look.
No idea, would have to try and shoot. Now that I think of it, I shot portrait as there were things just outside of the frame I didn't really like in there,
01-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Good use of negative space and the path gives my eye something to follow.
Thanks
01-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by József Quote
Sorry that is my opinion, if cuting bit a snowy part the picture will be better.
Nothing wrong with that, I posted here to hear others opinion
01-05-2020, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Winter Barn
A picture is worth a thousand words or so they say and as we're in the critique section of the forum, I hope you don't mind if I just show you my thoughts.

It's a cracking wee image, there's just so much detail in there to work with, even from a small JPEG file.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo