Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have got to ask, what is this one track?

01-05-2020, 04:49 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
A picture is worth a thousand words or so they say and as we're in the critique section of the forum, I hope you don't mind if I just show you my thoughts.

It's a cracking wee image, there's just so much detail in there to work with, even from a small JPEG file.
I'm not sure I fully agree with your taste in the image there... if I'm being honest, it looks overdone, especially in the snow.* However, I do see what you're trying to show, thinking a bit more distinction in the snow and such, and I do appreciate you taking your time to mess with the photo

*this could also be due to the small file you had to work with, and I'm not saying the original was better either. Maybe somewhere in the middle.
01-05-2020, 04:50 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I have got to ask, what is this one track?
Ski trail. It's part of my (near) daily loop through some hay fields.
01-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Ski trail. It's part of my (near) daily loop through some hay fields.
One ski or is it bigger than it looks?

01-05-2020, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
One ski or is it bigger than it looks?
No, it's wider than it looks I suppose. If you look at the bottom left of the image (in Kerrowdown's rendition especially) you can see a little ridge separating left and right skis.
01-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A barn in the snow. All thoughts are appreciated

greetings from the part of BC that doesn't get winter

I will agree with others - i would bump up the brightness on this. I really like your use of the path leading to the barn, and the trees make for nice contrast with the snow. I would also consider cropping a little of the sky. Maybe i just see too much gray around here these days lol.
01-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpottyReputation Quote
greetings from the part of BC that doesn't get winter

I will agree with others - i would bump up the brightness on this. I really like your use of the path leading to the barn, and the trees make for nice contrast with the snow. I would also consider cropping a little of the sky. Maybe i just see too much gray around here these days lol.
Thanks for your considerations

01-08-2020, 09:30 PM   #38
Pentaxian

The only thing I can think of with this picture is I'd have preferred it in a landscape orientation. There's nothing interesting in the sky and you don't need much to show the path on the bottom. I however would have liked to see more of the trees.
01-08-2020, 10:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
The only thing I can think of with this picture is I'd have preferred it in a landscape orientation. There's nothing interesting in the sky and you don't need much to show the path on the bottom. I however would have liked to see more of the trees.
Good thought, for some reason, portrait seemed more appealing with the ski trail leading in - maybe I should have left more snow (less sky)?
Also, there's some stuff immediately to either side which isn't so appealing photographically, meaning I kept (mostly) all the trees I could - if that makes sense...
01-08-2020, 10:06 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Good thought, for some reason, portrait seemed more appealing with the ski trail leading in - maybe I should have left more snow (less sky)?
Also, there's some stuff immediately to either side which isn't so appealing photographically, meaning I kept (mostly) all the trees I could - if that makes sense...
Yah I get it. cropping could also help with cutting out some of the uninteresting sky and making the barn more prominent in the shot. Luckily our cameras these days are so high in megapickles you can get the perfect framing every time.
01-08-2020, 10:11 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yah I get it. cropping could also help with cutting out some of the uninteresting sky and making the barn more prominent in the shot. Luckily our cameras these days are so high in megapickles you can get the perfect framing every time.
Maybe I could play with that - I never shoot intending to crop, so rarely crop anything. I like to 'see' the final image in the viewfinder.
01-08-2020, 10:13 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Maybe I could play with that - I never shoot intending to crop, so rarely crop anything. I like to 'see' the final image in the viewfinder.
I used to think like that but a lot of times I'm in situations where my lenses simply can not get the desired picture. Usually due to accessibility.
01-11-2020, 11:17 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to think like that but a lot of times I'm in situations where my lenses simply can not get the desired picture. Usually due to accessibility.
Many years ago, I found that a 3000x2000 {professionally-done} scan would catch all the detail I was getting in my Kodachrome 25 slides, so I am willing now to crop if I have that much left in the image.