Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2019, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Winter Barn
Lens: HD DA 21 Ltd Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Golden, BC ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 

A barn in the snow. All thoughts are appreciated

12-26-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like it Bertwert. I like how the path leads you to the barn. Looks like you've been having fun in the snow!
12-26-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A simple scene and very nice. Just the trees and the path to the barn - there is nothing else to distract or clutter the pic.
12-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Like it Bertwert. I like how the path leads you to the barn. Looks like you've been having fun in the snow!
Thanks, ski trails make good leading lines.

I'm out skiing nearly every day there, sometimes with the camera, sometimes without.

12-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
A simple scene and very nice. Just the trees and the path to the barn - there is nothing else to distract or clutter the pic.
Thank you, I was aiming for a "simple and pleasing" look if that makes sense
12-26-2019, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice image. the only suggestion would be to lighten it up just a hair to bring out more detail in the building and trees. Not too much or the snow gets washed out...
12-26-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Nice image. the only suggestion would be to lighten it up just a hair to bring out more detail in the building and trees. Not too much or the snow gets washed out...
Thanks for the suggestion. Currently I'm only doing straight out the camera, but I've got RAW files too that I could play with if I felt so inclined.

12-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #8

The photo is underexposed, this tends to happen when there is a lot of white in the frame.

The composition could be made more interesting by moving the horizon out of the center, both sky and snow are equally important right now.
Not much is happening, this is emphasized by the central composition, which doesn't really focus on anything.

Though this could be what you are going for.
12-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sometimes, some isolation is needed!
12-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -JW- Quote
The photo is underexposed, this tends to happen when there is a lot of white in the frame.
I found if it was anymore exposed it was too bright - I was trying to capture the grey and dreary sky Having taken a lot of shots here, in the snow, I know full well you have to overexpose in the winter.

The composition could be made more interesting by moving the horizon out of the center, both sky and snow are equally important right now.
Not much is happening, this is emphasized by the central composition, which doesn't really focus on anything.

Though this could be what you are going for.
Thanks for those suggestions
12-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter89 Quote
Sometimes, some isolation is needed!
Yes...
12-30-2019, 01:17 AM   #12
Forum Member

Overcast day in a winter - not the most interesting lighting. This subject screams for some early morning/golden evening sunshine. Due to flat lighting - the "leading line" is not well pronounced and might be overlooked at first glance. Furthermore, I think the subject (barn) would become more interesting from different angles / different framing. For example, given an optimum lighting - I would try out a telephoto framing of the barn.
12-30-2019, 03:09 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I found if it was anymore exposed it was too bright - I was trying to capture the grey and dreary sky Having taken a lot of shots here, in the snow, I know full well you have to overexpose in the winter.
Yeah this can get tricky and it is a personal choice of course.
I can actually imagine situations where the snow is too bright even for your own eyes in real life, in that respect a slightly overexposed look wouldn't even be that unrealistic.
12-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madphys Quote
Overcast day in a winter - not the most interesting lighting. This subject screams for some early morning/golden evening sunshine. Due to flat lighting - the "leading line" is not well pronounced and might be overlooked at first glance. Furthermore, I think the subject (barn) would become more interesting from different angles / different framing. For example, given an optimum lighting - I would try out a telephoto framing of the barn.
Good thoughts, maybe I'll do again with some clear skies.
12-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can actually imagine situations where the snow is too bright even for your own eyes in real life
Quite common here, on a clear day with bright sun.