Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2020, 04:49 AM   #1

Swiss Army - lighting?
Lens: Sigma 105mm Macro Camera: K70 Photo Location: UK ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 2s Aperture: F18 

I know (with the benefit of annoying hindsight) that I would have been better not to crop out the edge of the keyring, but I am looking particularly for thoughts about about lighting. This was lit with a couple of diffused desk lamps, sitting on a sheet of clear perspex for a reflective surface. Thanks in advance for your help.

12-19-2020, 02:04 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Stewtheking Quote
I know (with the benefit of annoying hindsight) that I would have been better not to crop out the edge of the keyring, but I am looking particularly for thoughts about about lighting. This was lit with a couple of diffused desk lamps, sitting on a sheet of clear perspex for a reflective surface. Thanks in advance for your help.

I think your lighting is pretty good. There are no hotspots & it picks out the texture nicely.
12-19-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi @Stewtheking,

Edit: Hah. I just noticed the date of the OP. Not sure any of these comments will be seen by the photographer.

I quite like the bold contrast of the textured face of the knife, the definition of the key ring, and the bright red symbol. I also think that the dark black background really suits the subject. The image is nicely sharp, too.

If I were making a product shot of this object, I think I would adjust the lighting (and perspective) to just capture the interface line where the knife blade meets the body. As it is, the blade appears to my eyes to be detached from the body because of the shadow -- it's floating above.

Another element of lighting concerns the reflection on the Perspex. Unfortunately, it's difficult to avoid the double reflection caused by the two surfaces of the acrylic sheet. Most notably, the reflections of the key ring, the blade's fingernail slot, the scissors (?) and the brand symbol create a bit of distraction to my view.

I haven't had much success in making similar pictures. The best I could do was with a very thin sheet of clear acrylic and a white background. I was happier with my product shots (cameras and lenses) taken on opaque surfaces.

Hope this provides the type of feedback that you're seeking.

May I also comment on the annoying hindsight? I think I would try a couple of shots with more 'breathing room' at the ends of the knife, and perhaps a shot with the knife positioned slightly diagonally in the frame (if the focus would allow).

Cheers,

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-20-2020 at 07:12 AM.
12-20-2020, 04:41 AM   #4

Lighting is pretty spot on I reckon. Love that the lighting effect is so different in the reflection.

12-20-2020, 05:29 AM   #5
dlhawes

I wonder what the effect would be of a fairly dim and diffuse light coming from below the acrylic sheet? Assuming, of course, that the plastic is not supported by something opaque. Alternative, a gradient neutral density filter, dark side up, with more illumination on the background. I'm thinkin', "adds interest and drama".

Last edited by dlhawes; 12-20-2020 at 05:54 AM.