Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #1
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Sketching in the Wild
Lens: Tokina EL 28mm 1:2.8 Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: Gallitzin, PA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F2.8 

Originally posted in the Post your Photos section, but I'd like some thoughts on what works and what doesn't and what you might have tried differently.

Also would like thoughts on my use of the 28mm instead of my M50 f/1.7 for this photo. I had the 28mm on my camera and left my 50mm in my bag back at camp, but I wonder if it might have been a better choice for this photo.

01-20-2020, 04:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The bokeh is pretty nervous (more than the 50/1.7 would make, for sure) but I think that, for this picture, it somehow gives a nice touch.
Technical consideration: slightly front focused maybe? The artist's hand and foreground shoulder are in focus, face is not. I would have cropped a bit from the left; the right hints at the subject of the painting because it's where the eyes are looking to, but what is behind the artist? It doesn't add a lot I feel.

In any case, it is a nice picture and I think it manages to capture the "feel" of the idea very well
01-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #3
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
In any case, it is a nice picture and I think it manages to capture the "feel" of the idea very well
Thank you very much. This was my favorite picture of the hike.

Yeah, I'm still trying to get the hang of manual focus. It looked good in the viewfinder, but I noticed after that the focus didn't catch the eye.

Now that you mention it, I agree there is too much space behind him. I think that might be one of the things that was bothering me with it. This can be fairly easily fixed by cropping the picture though.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bokeh being nervous.
05-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
love his intensity but his eyes need to be in focus

05-16-2021, 02:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd lop off a bit on the left and a wee bit on the top as well; the Bokeh is a bit odd, but somehow for this picture it seems to be working although I'd pull it down a bit (maybe lifting the face and hand up a wee bit helps as well). The expression and angle of capture is spot on - good timing. As others have pointed out, the eyes need to be sharp focus. All the best